Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ballcaps restricted....

Ballcaps restricted — tell us what you think

By Mark D. Faram - Staff writer
    Posted : Thursday Feb 12, 2009 12:02:38 EST

Command ball caps are dying a slow death. They’re not authorized to be worn with the new Navy Working Uniform, which began rolling out to the fleet last month in Norfolk, Va.

Now, as utilities and wash khakis are phased out in favor of digital cammies, these caps — emblazoned with a unit’s name and crest — will be seen less and less on the waterfront.

We’d like to hear what active-duty sailors think about losing this symbol of command identity and being allowed to wear their ball caps with coveralls only.

We’d also like to hear from commands who might be thinking about allowing sailors to wear the ball caps with the NWU onboard ship or while underway.

from http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/0...lcaps_021009w/

END ARTICLE

I know that there are versions of ballcaps for NS ships going around, or at least they were at one stage, is this still the case?

Post Thanks / Like
    They seem to have replace berets as working dress headwear amongst those on the bridge.

What will the USN be wearing instead?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    They seem to have replace berets as working dress headwear amongst those on the bridge.

Not got a clue, the article does not say

Post Thanks / Like

This thing, I assume:

Or appropriate headwear for whatever uniform they're in at the time. Sounds like a good way to destroy morale.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why the navy needs Digital Camo. The US air force are wearing a new Tiger strip pattern similar to that worn in Vietnam by Navy Seals.
    Last edited by mugs; 14th February 2009 at 18:24.
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    I don't understand why the navy needs Digital Camo. The US air force are wearing a new Tiger strip pattern similar to that worn in Vietnam by Navy Seals.
    2 Reasons
    1. Oil stains don't show up on it as much as the old blue or Khaki uniforms.

and the main reason

2. Everyone else is doing it in the US and they have to have their unique Brand!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Docman View Post
    2 Reasons
    Wear Black Overalls

2. Everyone else is doing it in the US and they have to have their unique Brand!
    Don't have Digital Camo.....Thats unique to the rest of the Us Armed Forces
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Post Thanks / Like
    2 Reasons

Never been on a ship have you?

People on the bridge don't get oil stains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never been on a ship have you?

People on the bridge don't get oil stains.
    Been on several. Have the oil stains (well, grease actually) to prove it. But I'm merely quoting the US Navy's main reason for going with the uniform.

And I'm fairly sure that most ships won't move if everyone is on the bridge.... except maybe a rowboat.
    Last edited by Docman; 15th February 2009 at 16:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it still possible for Civvies to get hold of the NS Ballcaps, I can remember them being sold on Eithne a few years back, afair the funds raised went to some charity.

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Is it still possible for Civvies to get hold of the NS Ballcaps, I can remember them being sold on Eithne a few years back, afair the funds raised went to some charity.
    Do the ships even do them anymore? I have a bunch of them somewhere. Aoife, Emer, Deirdre and Eithne.

navy_medic
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
    Do the ships even do them anymore? I have a bunch of them somewhere. Aoife, Emer, Deirdre and Eithne.
    Were they produced by someone on the ships themselves for the ships to raise funds for whatever charity they supported at the time?

I know Aoife is supporting Crumlin Hospital, what other charities are supported by what ships?

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by navy_medic View Post
    Were they produced by someone on the ships themselves for the ships to raise funds for whatever charity they supported at the time?

I know Aoife is supporting Crumlin Hospital, what other charities are supported by what ships?
    Ships XOs would get them made up for sale to the crew and what not. Haven't seen it done in ages but it has been a few years since I was at sea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ships XOs would get them made up for sale to the crew and what not. Haven't seen it done in ages but it has been a few years since I was at sea.
    It would be nice to get them done up again, then again it depends on popularity, I know I would buy a full set from the existing ships and indeed the older ships if there was any such a set.

I might just get my own set made up as its cheap enough to do.

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah they would make a nice presentation set, mounted or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah they would make a nice presentation set, mounted or something.
    Could get the caps done for abotu €12 each so thats €84 for one set, plus the wood and polish etc for mounting them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not have much use for the caps being in the black gang, but the polo shirts used to be ok because sometimes civvies would enquire about the crests.

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think baseball caps would look so cool with dpm uniforms, inciedntially is there anywhere i could buy a dpm jacket are anyof you selling your gear. LOL all the times i sold my combats to the fca and now i am buying them fromthem
    Ranger men of Ireland rule

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, would it be a good idea for the NS to offer for sale to the public, for the associated charity, merchandise such as polo shirts and baseball caps?
    Would be a nice earner on a foreign trip, maybe even port visits at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, would it be a good idea for the NS to offer for sale to the public, for the associated charity, merchandise such as polo shirts and baseball caps?
    GF you are dead right - what is needed is a centralized one stop shop with standardized merchandise - anybody in a position to make it happen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    GF you are dead right - what is needed is a centralized one stop shop with standardized merchandise - anybody in a position to make it happen?
    I could have a chat with a mate who does embroidery, hes does the caps for a decent price for me. (better than I what I pointed out above).

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    A S/PO who was in the stores a while back, now gone on his ticket, tried to get something like that off the ground a few years back and was greeted with indifference mostly and suspicion by others who thought he was lining his own pockets. Never got anywhere with it. Shame too.

Post Thanks / Like
    A S/PO who was in the stores a while back, now gone on his ticket, tried to get something like that off the ground a few years back and was greeted with indifference mostly and suspicion by others who thought he was lining his own pockets. Never got anywhere with it. Shame too.
    If its properly audited by two separate people then there can be no such suspicions

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    If its properly audited by two separate people then there can be no such suspicions
    You know yourself how people talk and rumours get started. Especially when money is involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know yourself how people talk and rumours get started. Especially when money is involved.
    Believe me I do indeed

Thread Information