• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballcaps restricted....

Ballcaps restricted — tell us what you think

By Mark D. Faram - Staff writer
    Posted : Thursday Feb 12, 2009 12:02:38 EST

Command ball caps are dying a slow death. They’re not authorized to be worn with the new Navy Working Uniform, which began rolling out to the fleet last month in Norfolk, Va.

Now, as utilities and wash khakis are phased out in favor of digital cammies, these caps — emblazoned with a unit’s name and crest — will be seen less and less on the waterfront.

We’d like to hear what active-duty sailors think about losing this symbol of command identity and being allowed to wear their ball caps with coveralls only.

We’d also like to hear from commands who might be thinking about allowing sailors to wear the ball caps with the NWU onboard ship or while underway.

from http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/0...lcaps_021009w/

END ARTICLE

I know that there are versions of ballcaps for NS ships going around, or at least they were at one stage, is this still the case?

They seem to have replace berets as working dress headwear amongst those on the bridge.

What will the USN be wearing instead?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      They seem to have replace berets as working dress headwear amongst those on the bridge.

Not got a clue, the article does not say

Comment

This thing, I assume:

Or appropriate headwear for whatever uniform they're in at the time. Sounds like a good way to destroy morale.

Comment

I don't understand why the navy needs Digital Camo. The US air force are wearing a new Tiger strip pattern similar to that worn in Vietnam by Navy Seals.
          Last edited by mugs; 14 February 2009, 19:24.
          Theirs not to make reply,
          Theirs not to reason why,
          Theirs but to do and die:
          Into the valley of Death
          Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by mugs View Post
            I don't understand why the navy needs Digital Camo. The US air force are wearing a new Tiger strip pattern similar to that worn in Vietnam by Navy Seals.
            2 Reasons
            1. Oil stains don't show up on it as much as the old blue or Khaki uniforms.

and the main reason

2. Everyone else is doing it in the US and they have to have their unique Brand!

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
              2 Reasons
              Wear Black Overalls

2. Everyone else is doing it in the US and they have to have their unique Brand!
              Don't have Digital Camo.....Thats unique to the rest of the Us Armed Forces
              Theirs not to make reply,
              Theirs not to reason why,
              Theirs but to do and die:
              Into the valley of Death
              Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

2 Reasons

Never been on a ship have you?

People on the bridge don't get oil stains.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Never been on a ship have you?

People on the bridge don't get oil stains.
                  Been on several. Have the oil stains (well, grease actually) to prove it. But I'm merely quoting the US Navy's main reason for going with the uniform.

And I'm fairly sure that most ships won't move if everyone is on the bridge.... except maybe a rowboat.
                  Last edited by Docman; 15 February 2009, 17:45.

Comment

Is it still possible for Civvies to get hold of the NS Ballcaps, I can remember them being sold on Eithne a few years back, afair the funds raised went to some charity.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer View Post
                      Is it still possible for Civvies to get hold of the NS Ballcaps, I can remember them being sold on Eithne a few years back, afair the funds raised went to some charity.
                      Do the ships even do them anymore? I have a bunch of them somewhere. Aoife, Emer, Deirdre and Eithne.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
                        Do the ships even do them anymore? I have a bunch of them somewhere. Aoife, Emer, Deirdre and Eithne.
                        Were they produced by someone on the ships themselves for the ships to raise funds for whatever charity they supported at the time?

I know Aoife is supporting Crumlin Hospital, what other charities are supported by what ships?

Comment

Originally posted by navy_medic View Post
                          Were they produced by someone on the ships themselves for the ships to raise funds for whatever charity they supported at the time?

I know Aoife is supporting Crumlin Hospital, what other charities are supported by what ships?
                          Ships XOs would get them made up for sale to the crew and what not. Haven't seen it done in ages but it has been a few years since I was at sea.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
                            Ships XOs would get them made up for sale to the crew and what not. Haven't seen it done in ages but it has been a few years since I was at sea.
                            It would be nice to get them done up again, then again it depends on popularity, I know I would buy a full set from the existing ships and indeed the older ships if there was any such a set.

I might just get my own set made up as its cheap enough to do.

Comment

Yeah they would make a nice presentation set, mounted or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X