X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=na grohmiti;
    Now thats a proper Cork accent.[/QUOTE]

The Mayor of Boston, Mr. Walsh, in recognition of 3 Humanitarian deployments by the LE Samuel Beckett, saving 4000+ souls, has declared by Proclamation that the 6th of October henceforth will be known as LE Samuel Beckett Day in Boston.

Comment

• Now as we all know the P60 class are a 90m design (Power driven vessel >50m) but where is the 2nd masthead light? I only see 1 masthead, a sidelight and a stern light. Or is Rule 23 different for Naval vessels? (Colregs 95 etc).
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Now as we all know the P60 class are a 90m design (Power driven vessel >50m) but where is the 2nd masthead light? I only see 1 masthead, a sidelight and a stern light. Or is Rule 23 different for Naval vessels? (Colregs 95 etc).
        I'm certain that the patrol vessels comply with International Col. Regs. P31's Draft looks interesting and the shallowest I've ever seen, in FW, up at Albert Quay. Her GM must be small enough to take home in your pocket??

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          I'm certain that the patrol vessels comply with International Col. Regs. P31's Draft looks interesting and the shallowest I've ever seen, in FW, up at Albert Quay. Her GM must be small enough to take home in your pocket??
          It looks like P51 is home since the weekend. I wonder why no sea trials, and why tugs. Nice to see her back but what about the propulsion.

Comment

• She isnt finished, there is more work to be done on her in the basin.
            There was a tender in recently for I think a new galley.
            Better to leave any trials till after all new plant is fitted.

Comment

• A "new galley" now that got my attention .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                A "new galley" now that got my attention .
                Its come a long way from your day when you cooked eggs on hot engines and boiled the stew using hot exhausts....

Comment

• Which one of the two P50s has her galley down aft in the wrong location .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• This one I think. Niamh has hers further forward, on the opposite side.

Comment

This one I think. Niamh has hers further forward, on the opposite side.
                      Be careful about galleys on ships. They need access to discharge grey water from the Galley sinks, which means port or starboard side location but the galley cooker can weigh a few tonnes and has to be compensated for elsewhere on the ship. Irrespective of internal work, a long lay up requires the engines and propulsion to be run up on Harbour trials, followed up by adjustments and full sea trials, all to validate work done and paid for by way of guarantee.

Comment

Be careful about galleys on ships. They need access to discharge grey water from the Galley sinks, which means port or starboard side location but the galley cooker can weigh a few tonnes and has to be compensated for elsewhere on the ship. Irrespective of internal work, a long lay up requires the engines and propulsion to be run up on Harbour trials, followed up by adjustments and full sea trials, all to validate work done and paid for by way of guarantee.
                        Just to clarify about initial fitting out of the galley. The cooker, because it is so large and heavy, it is put in place early in construction before the upper accommodation unit is added and welded up. If that unit weighs 5 tonnes and it is to port, then you must offset it with a similar permanent weight to starboard, otherwise you would have a permanent list OR have to allow for it with liquids.

Comment

• Surely same would apply for any domestic machinery below deck? From memory Food stores and fridges are aft of Galley, OR & SR mess are opposite, and Wardroom is above (via dumb waiter). Aft of OR & SR Mess is heads and Laundry.
                          Though I could be mistaken. Hopefully a more recent visitor can confirm.

Comment

Surely same would apply for any domestic machinery below deck? From memory Food stores and fridges are aft of Galley, OR & SR mess are opposite, and Wardroom is above (via dumb waiter). Aft of OR & SR Mess is heads and Laundry.
                            Though I could be mistaken. Hopefully a more recent visitor can confirm.
                            Just pointing out that it is not easy to shift a galley on an existing ship without considering stability.

Comment

Just pointing out that it is not easy to shift a galley on an existing ship without considering stability.
                              From memory, all that is above the Galley on Roisin is open deck so access is easier than most spaces for getting things in and out quickly. You just need to cut some deck plate..

Comment

• Nice touch from the Naval Service.

Comment

Working...
                                X