No announcement yet.

US Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one ugly ship.Don't think I've a design like that before.What's its role?
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

click on the link under the photo

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Sorry, never notcied that was a link.Interesting history.Seems to have evolved significantly beyond its original function.
        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Navy Ship in dry dock...

does anyone know the name of the navy ship in dry dock in Dublin Port??
          I was coming over the East Link yesterday and noticed the vessel.
          I am no navall expert, however it seemed to be to large to be an Irish one..:o

Comment

He said its in Dry Dock?
            surely the US navy ship would just be tied up at the Quay if its on an official visit?? why would it be placed in a dry dock?
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I checked out the link provided, and i am pritty sure that it is the same naval vessel. The gun turrets at the infront of the bridge are similar to one i saw.
              And it is deffo in dry dock.
              What attracted my attention was first the size, then i thought if it was in dry dock that might make it appear to be bigger than it actually is, as is elevated..bla bla
              However, there was an Irish flag flying high on one of the masts, and I could see no other flags..

I dont think it is unheard of for foreign naval vessel to be in dry dock.
              If memory serves, there has been a few of late, past two -three years.

It could be in dry dock for emergency repairs, perhaps.

Comment

irish flag on a naval vessel.. means its probably irish?

although my sealegs go as far as handling a GP14 with a spineker and knowing what a jib is! maybe goldie can enlighten us?
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Is it not usual for visiting naval vessels to fly the flag of the country they are visiting in addition to their own countrys flag?

IAS

Comment

It is customary for all visiting ships to fly the flag of the country they are visiting from the Uppermost main Masts. The ships own flag is flown from the stern.
                    If Irish Naval vessels need to be drydocked,this is usually done in Cork,where the dockyard is a mere half mile from the Naval Base.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X