No announcement yet.

Recruit Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruit Training on Bere Island is of no more. All or Any recruit training to be done by the home units. BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT LAST

Comment

Logistically, Bere Island is a nightmare anyway.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        ..... which is why I said "subject to confirmation"

There were many long faces when the news was broken, all the same....

The syllabus specifies that Module 1 is to be conducted at unit level, consisting of
        training nights, field days and weekends - no mention of FTT to cover Module 1, although
        I can think of one sub unit which did this last year

Can someone tell me what the TI/TS/TC number for the Induction Syllabus is please ?
        I can think of a few, including my own. In fact I am lead to believe that this is the first year in many where it was not carried out. But, it was to be expected given cutbacks. It's nice to give them the camp, but in fairness, it is not needed. Especially since no matter how far ahead the recruits are they will have to repeat everything ad nauseum when the do their recruit camp.

Some trivia, apparently, according to 1bderdf.com, the recruit training is changing this year. With some Units doing there own (or banding together to do it.) and One unit taking over the majority of the recruits. You can check out yourself which unit's it is. (I am assuming here that 1bderdf.com is an official entity and that this information is meant for the public.)

This will however lead to a difference in training standards. Given 2 of the unit's who are training their own would have recruits at a good standard already and will likely not be repeating the same training for the benefit of those who don't attend occupied posts, and therefore don't have the oppertunity to train on proper equiptment regularily.
        I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by riflemangundy View Post
          Recruit Training on Bere Island is of no more. All or Any recruit training to be done by the home units. BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT LAST
          You bastard, you posted that, while I went on a nice longwinded one!!! Fecker!!!

Comment

TD : TI 12/07 "Planning for Recruitment in the RDF" is what you want.

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

"That may be how its done in your old unit, but it isn't how we do it here".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yarr. Back to old-style half-wits again.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  TD : TI 12/07 "Planning for Recruitment in the RDF" is what you want.

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.
                  I kind of agree and disagree with you here. It means there is no standard across the board. But It also means those recruits who have put in the time and learned loads before Recruit camp are not held back by those who haven't.

I was on Bere Island in 2007 (I think), and was trained by some Infantry lads, at the time I thought they were fantastic, putting on that whole "USMC Drill Instructor" Routine, complete with USMC cadences, but now that I have matured a bit I realise it was all Bull. I came back with worse marching than I went down with. I was being trained by a Cpl who had literally come off her Pot's course the week before, and while she wasn't bad, noone was keeping an eye on here to make sure she was OK. I took it about as serious a most do. (That is, Irish college with a bit more discipline) I was out scoring one girl or another every night after I sorted my kit out. But still I can't help but think it was a bit stupid.

There was no instruction given on the ranges, just a Cpl, who I actually know now, who was told to just make sure I didn't shoot anyone. (Not me specifically obviously.)

There were lads on ED and LD everyday for no reason, basically the Medics would put anyone who wanted it on ED or LD.

There were people who had never seen the AUG. Cpl's coming in the 30 mins before training began after a night on the urine.

We did get a visit from General Nash and some Colonel though, which was good.

It was all a bit false though now that I think back, it just was, in retrospect, a Joke.

The only new thing I remember learning down there was about the Arty Collar badges!!! That was off an Arty NCO who was instructing a different Platoon.

There were some good bit's but in general I found the Centralised training to be a bit of a joke.

I agree with it in principle, but the unit's hosting seemed to take it as all a good mess rather than saving it for the Mess at night.

Comment

If anything, centralised recruit camps would have lead to savings in mandays (duplication of instructors and admin staff across the different units). Not to mention the shite standards that result.

Dazzler - recruits need as much full time training as possible. Yes, you can turn out people who tick all the boxes on the syllabus in 2 weeks, but the longer they get the more confident and capable they will be as soldiers, as opposed to being civilians in uniform with some dodgy weapon handling skills, who once spent a night in a forest.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      If anything, centralised recruit camps would have lead to savings in mandays (duplication of instructors and admin staff across the different units). Not to mention the shite standards that result.

Dazzler - recruits need as much full time training as possible. Yes, you can turn out people who tick all the boxes on the syllabus in 2 weeks, but the longer they get the more confident and capable they will be as soldiers, as opposed to being civilians in uniform with some dodgy weapon handling skills, who once spent a night in a forest.
                      Hey, I resemble that remark!!! (But it was 3 night's!!!)

Comment

Iv had people come back from bere island hugging each other when they arrvied for training... Dont worry they didnt even dream of dream about hugging each other when i had finished.

the training was a joke. go look at the bebo pics.. a ****in joke.

Comment

Iv had people come back from bere island hugging each other when they arrvied for training... Dont worry they didnt even dream of dream about hugging each other when i had finished.

Don't mention the Bebo pics, the pseudo-lesbian antics that happen are disgraceful to see online.

I have a thing,

Funny when it happens,
                          Funny when you talk about it.

UNfunny when you see it on Bebo because Camwhore's can't stop.

Comment

ask the Air Defence recruits from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Batt. theyd have killed to be on previous recruit camps!

small units need these camps for their units as their small numbers cannot get the resources needed as where a gagle of infantry can.

i also firmly believe the infantry should run ALL recruit camps. then 2* training etc is down to the unit

Comment

Well that means the instruction is shite - the unit commander should be getting a grip of his officers and NCOs and asking what sort of circus they're running, and Bde should be getting a grip of said unit commander for the shite troops that are being produced.

Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
                              i also firmly believe the infantry should run ALL recruit camps. then 2* training etc is down to the unit
                              What dazzler and riflemangundy are saying would tend to indicate that the yahoos instructing on recruit camps (in the south at least) aren't competent enough to take command of their own bowel movements, never mind to train recruits properly.

Comment

wasnt there a huge NCO sent home from the Glen last year due to unfair troops?

Comment

Working...
                                X