Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi ,
    My son and another lad are going to college in Limerick and they are thinking of joining the reserve at Sarsfield, has anyone any info on this unit, is it a good unit etc, thanks .
    "The tide doesn't come up for another six hours, you want to wait around here for another six hours ?"

Comment

• Originally posted by cav View Post
      Hi ,
      My son and another lad are going to college in Limerick and they are thinking of joining the reserve at Sarsfield, has anyone any info on this unit, is it a good unit etc, thanks .
      From what I know of the people there, they are a fairly active good unit

Comment

• Originally posted by cav View Post
        Hi ,
        It is a good unit but, as with every RDF unit nowadays, it is over-stretched.

Comment

• It is a good unit but, as with every RDF unit nowadays, it is over-stretched.
          Aint that the truth used to be people had leisurelly time to prepare for shooting competitions, without fail every member of the RDF I know with three stars or better is got more on their plate than they can handle. Never seen anything like it. from DFHQ to line Inf to all Corps I know of , it has certainly burnt the growth off !
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Any word on RDF NCO promotions.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
              Any word on RDF NCO promotions.
              DFTC afaik have all there’s filled
              1 Bde prompted a few in 2018
              2 Bde still waiting as far as I know

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                DFTC afaik have all there’s filled
                1 Bde prompted a few in 2018
                2 Bde still waiting as far as I know
                What's the hold up with 2 Bde? afaik/heard is the RDF over est since reorg. But that could not be the case if 1 Bde promoted last year. We have some ranks over est but not Sgt (so I'm told) so should be able to promote cpl to sgt

Comment

• Similar issues within the NSR AFAIK. DF wide.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                    What's the hold up with 2 Bde? afaik/heard is the RDF over est since reorg. But that could not be the case if 1 Bde promoted last year. We have some ranks over est but not Sgt (so I'm told) so should be able to promote cpl to sgt
                    The RDF overall is approx 25% of its establishment.

AFAIK the only ranks that are currently over establishment are SNCOs and that will fall next year

Comment

• You cant be overstrength in your formation i.e. Bde, unit, or subunit . Part of the RDF staff job in G1/G7 is to watch this number and ensure the vacancies arising are allotted to where they need to be ... this is for people who have the relevant promotion courses done and awaiting promotion.

If you need people to have courses done ensure your unit can push for things on ATD for next year SNCO courses or Logs Admin dont run unless theres enough people for them for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        You cant be overstrength in your formation i.e. Bde, unit, or subunit . Part of the RDF staff job in G1/G7 is to watch this number and ensure the vacancies arising are allotted to where they need to be ... this is for people who have the relevant promotion courses done and awaiting promotion.

If you need people to have courses done ensure your unit can push for things on ATD for next year SNCO courses or Logs Admin dont run unless theres enough people for them for example.
                        Except vacancies in 1 formation aren’t being filled even when they can be.

Absolutely on the courses..... whether they are mandatory or not depends on the GOC.

But your absolutely correct, people should be looking to do the career courses even if promotion is far off. Get it out of the way if nothing else
                        Last edited by DeV; 25 July 2019, 12:01.

Comment

• In every organisation, military or otherwise, there is nothing wrong with having staff trained to think and work above their grade. It makes sense on so many levels.
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• In every organisation, military or otherwise, there is nothing wrong with having staff trained to think and work above their grade. It makes sense on so many levels.
                            its not just sense its doctrine in most cases, everyone should be trained 1 up "if I have to go away you're in charge" and in most cases its excellent delegation and mentoring too but the balance is hard to strike without practice and experience.

Comment

• Dfr R5 allows rdf to be promoted to Lt Col with only pot nco cse and pot officers and most I know think that's perfectly fine. I have missed out on promotion due to this by an individual promoted to a higher rank without a snr NCOs cse done. What is the feeling of RDF personnel on here. Should you have given the time to attend and pass these courses or just attend on training on nights only to be promoted?

Comment

• If there is no requirement for career courses for promotion, what's the point of them at all. I think they should be mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X