Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, in an ideal situation, what should happen then for every unit over the summer is an overhaul of all those people that are non-effective and then discharge them all.

Thus freeing up some vacancies within units. Although, be it a case of one-in-one-out, it is still better than nothing. But that would probably lead to smaller recruit classes, and less priority for training because of smaller numbers.
    Its not as great as it looks.

But I would agree with where GR is coming from It is unfair that those NE people hold positions for so long. Two years is a ridiculous length of time for them to qualify for a discharge.
    Probably the time frame on that should be a lot shorter, say 6 months. With allowances for people who are away studying, but they should still seek permission IMO for the leave. But it is ridiculous to know that people who can't be arsed about the RDF anymore are holding vacancies over those who wish to join.

Comment

• Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
      So, in an ideal situation, what should happen then for every unit over the summer is an overhaul of all those people that are non-effective and then discharge them all.
      I can't seek for any other sub-unit but in my sub-unit....

If anyone hasn't attended the required training.... they are posted non-effective....

They are discharged at TOE / own request (if we can get them to come up) / after 2 years on the non-effective list

Those are the only times that they can legally be discharged!

As far as I know the only time people can be posted non-effective is after 31 October.

Comment

• Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
        Probably the time frame on that should be a lot shorter, say 6 months. With allowances for people who are away studying, but they should still seek permission IMO for the leave. But it is ridiculous to know that people who can't be arsed about the RDF anymore are holding vacancies over those who wish to join.
        I know people who, through no fault of their own, are posted non-effective. Try to remember that those who can't commit every single second of their lives to the RDF can still contribute quite a lot - if anything an experienced 3* who is temporarily unavailable to train is much more valuable than a recruit who will leave after their first camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
          I know people who, through no fault of their own, are posted non-effective. Try to remember that those who can't commit every single second of their lives to the RDF can still contribute quite a lot - if anything an experienced 3* who is temporarily unavailable to train is much more valuable than a recruit who will leave after their first camp.
          yeah but surely they could contact the unit involved and tell them that they wont be around for abit and to not take their non-attendance as desertion (for want of a better word )
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
            yeah but surely they could contact the unit involved and tell them that they wont be around for abit and to not take their non-attendance as desertion (for want of a better word )
            How do you know they didn't?

Comment

• well you never said either way

Comment

• I was referring to the general case of someone posted non-effective - don't assume that everyone just decides to feck off and not bother with the RDF any more, without telling anyone.

Comment

• Interested should read
                  http://www.rdfra.ie/pdf/regulations/R5.pdf [ paras 49 and 50 ]. If you are unable to attend for various reasons, then you need to get a cert as per R5 AI [ Admin Instr ]

Non-effectives are traditionally posted in RO No. 1 of each year, because the end of the year is when your completion of training obligations are assessed.

The end of

discusses the obligations.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    I was referring to the general case of someone posted non-effective - don't assume that everyone just decides to feck off and not bother with the RDF any more, without telling anyone.
                    i wasnt assuming anything, but i do know there are a few in my unit and im sure other units have the same problem

Comment

• hi lads im just wondering basically is there no chance of recruitment from scratch for someone?

Comment

• Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
                        hi lads im just wondering basically is there no chance of recruitment from scratch for someone?
                        the letter which i saw indicated that a limited recruitment of those already in the system was what the intent was , and even this was subject to review at a later date,
                        the potential recruits from my units met wit willy and a local politician last week and even he was not sure what the in s and outs of the decision were ,
                        my own interpretation is that it was that a lot of political pressure was brought in advance of the local elections , so the decision was reversed now that the locals are out of the way the government can drag their heels as long as they want delaying any intake of recruits until after the majority of units hold their summer camp , given the cut in man day s their will be no one to train them if they are sworn in ,
                        "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• AFAIK no one has got in since DCOSs letter of 1 April, it said "untill D Reserve makes a decision".

It will depend on the unit and the decision that comes out, if it turns out as we thing it may unless the unit you are wishing to join gets rid of more people than they have in the process, the answer is virtually nil (at least this year anyway), next year .....??

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish
                            Some interesting matters were raised in the SELECT COMMITTEE ON JUSTICE, EQUALITY, DEFENCE AND WOMEN'S RIGHTS

Here is one with regard to this thread

WOD
                            With regard to the reduction in the RDF budget from slightly in excess of €6 million to €4.9 million, last year the outturn in respect of paid man days was approximately 80,000. This year we are providing for 60,000 man days. Deputies O’Shea and Deenihan asked me to clarify the position on recruitment to the Reserve Defence Force. As the Deputies will be aware, each year there is a fall-off in membership of the Reserve Defence Force. When the recruitment embargo was introduced we were advised it applied to the RDF. In effect, that meant we could not recruit more members although some people would drop out and, therefore, in net terms the figure would fall. In our initial discussions with the Department of Finance, we managed to prevent that happening and it has been agreed that I can recruit new members as others drop out, replacing people to keep the strength to present levels. That is the current position.
                            Should someone tell him that it hasen't happened yet?
                            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• In the East, brigade are allocating places on a first come first served basis. Basically they are replacing personnel who have been discharged.

All the relevant paperwork is being sent to Bde (for personnel who have been sworn in).

65 Inf & another unit unit (can't remember who I think it was 67 Inf) have got people in the last week or 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                In the East, brigade are allocating places on a first come first served basis. Basically they are replacing personnel who have been discharged.

All the relevant paperwork is being sent to Bde (for personnel who have been sworn in).

65 Inf & another unit unit (can't remember who I think it was 67 Inf) have got people in the last week or 2.
                                Is this true?
                                I am not doubting you completely, but if it is true then at least its a start. And how did they manage to get around the red tape and get them sworn in?

Comment

Working...
                                X