Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because the Garda reserve are not paid.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• They get expenses when they have to attend court.

Comment

• DOnt bite my head off

but

if the RDF went back to being a voluntary body

would that make a difference
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• We are a voluntary body....according to the minister.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• We were always paid for periods of full time training.

The restriction on man days means that the paid weekends that had crept in over the past few years are a thing of the past

Comment

• Another gripe that a lot of serving gardai have is the sheer volume of uniform and kit the garda reserve are issued with. And there's no commitment to have to show up on bank holidays/days regular gardai might want off.

Frankly, it's not expense-less.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Ok

but a hypothetical question

if people want to be in a revaped voluntary RDF

would they forego grat and paid weekends

Comment

• Paid weekends are only a recent introduction, for years we did weekends without any pay. And weekends were from 7pm on a Fiday evening till 5pm on a Sunday - no half days there. Did you do them? Yes in great numbers. Did we grumble about the length of them or lack of pay? Yes we did (but who wouldn't?). Would we do them again? Yes.

The point about grat - grat was paid when you did annual training. If you didn't go on camp, no grat. The system was changed, I believe, so that those who put the in the effort and time during the year, will get grat unlike the many wasters who do fcuk all all year round but appear like Lazarus on camp and everyone wonders who the hell that is.

In principle, the grat as it is supposed to be is better. But when the rules keep changing, it's no wonder people get pissed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    Ok

Depends on a number of things. Instead of getting only 2 or 3 tshirts and pairs of socks, would recruits get issued enough? Would people be issued with cammo cream? I know I've said it before, but the small stuff adds up, especially if you're a recruit that has to buy it all at once before camp. If that was all provided... along with halfway decent boots, well then, there's not much of an issue with lack of pay/grat from my perspective. May not appeal to the older folks with families at home that can't take paid leave, though.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      DOnt bite my head off

but

if the RDF went back to being a voluntary body

would that make a difference
                      Of course it would.

Its a bit like the over 70s medical card.
                      It wasn't there for years. It was put in place for a short period. But try remove it and there is a near riot.

I know a number of people that used to do plenty of unpaid weekends driving for other units. They will now only drive for others if paid. Why, because if one of the Cadre or other PDF driver does it they would get paid so why shouldn't we.

There are other I know that say being paid makes it a professional organisation. This is what everyone wants. Isn't it??

The same people also say if there are no paid weekends etc then the RDF will return to being the FCA. ie a drinking club.

Personnally I agree with everyone. Some will stay and some will go but at the end of the day until it happens no one can say what difference would occur but no doubt differences would occur.
                      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                        Another gripe that a lot of serving gardai have is the sheer volume of uniform and kit the garda reserve are issued with. And there's no commitment to have to show up on bank holidays/days regular gardai might want off.

Frankly, it's not expense-less.
                        The Government isn't able to keep their commitment on the number of Gardai, the Garda Reserve is a much cheaper (but less effective) alternative.

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        Ok

Grat - no way it is to make up for the costs associated with being a member

Paid weekends - as others have said they only started in my unit around 2002 (when the PNCOs course had be run over weekends instead of a week at Easter.

The reason they became "part of the furniture" was it was the only way a lot of people could afford to attend.

But grat is now "performance related" - 8 training parades, the equivalent of 4 overnights (unpaid) & ARPs

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                        Why, because if one of the Cadre or other PDF driver does it they would get paid so why shouldn't we.
                        And a day in lieu!

There are other I know that say being paid makes it a professional organisation. This is what everyone wants. Isn't it??
                        Pay peanuts.... (TA even get paid for training parades)

Comment

• Pay peanuts.... (TA even get paid for training parades)
                          The Brits have a far larger defence budget than us. I agree with HH, RDF forego grat and paid weekends, this at least might get rid of the members who only show up when there is a few quid to be made. When this recession passes, re introduce the grat etc and have more stringent entry requirements and training for recruits

Comment

• Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                            The Brits have a far larger defence budget than us. I agree with HH, RDF forego grat and paid weekends, this at least might get rid of the members who only show up when there is a few quid to be made. When this recession passes, re introduce the grat etc and have more stringent entry requirements and training for recruits
                            Some inf bats have PDF cadre drivers. Why would you pay them to do a weekend and not an RDF driver.

Similarily, if a unit is going to the range a qualified singar RO must be there. If there is no qualified RDF RO the a PDF one must attend. Why should the RDF RO for go payment?

Since the Pdf are paid on a 24/7 basis why are they paid an allowance working with the RDF. I am sure someone can justify the why, other than they wouldn't do it otherwise, but the point really is why is it always suggested that the RDF should do things for free but PDF working with the RDF should be paid extra and get extra days off?
                            Last edited by luchi; 28 April 2009, 11:12.
                            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• No matter how its put it comes out insulting

so while not wishing to insult but wishing to give my honest opinion

its simply

PDF- its his full time job-

RDF- Its a hobby - I really dont want to insult but it is that- at the end of the day you can go back to IT- HR- Law- Truck Driving- Teaching etc

Comment

• Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                                The Brits have a far larger defence budget than us. I agree with HH, RDF forego grat and paid weekends, this at least might get rid of the members who only show up when there is a few quid to be made.
                                It would absolutely destroy the RDF! The majority aren't in it for the money, but we are in a recession and people will not give their time (and money) in order to get nothing but hassle in return. If the FLR get gratuity for doing nothing why should the SLR suffer!

Comment

Working...
                                X