Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    So when will we know if we can tell our mates to come back then?
    That depends what rank are you? If lower than a Cpl. Then the likely answer is never. Someone who is told by the CO will get onto them. More than likely.

However telling your mate to give them a call to find out the story might make them show interest and therefore have the CO saying contact them.
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post in Independant last Saturday.. Willie OD lifted the recruitment ban on RDF as sufficent funds hav been realocated frm somewhere.. He also said he believed there never should hav been an embargo on the reserve!! Think he's just tryin get bak in favour..
    Life's short, party naked :-)

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We note from GF posting the DOD Press Release
    (see
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ad.php?t=15132)

that a limited form of recruitment has opened. HOWEVER as Bravo20 noted above we do not yet know how this is supposed to work. Taking it at face value means only those who go TOE or voluntarily sign off which is a very small number.

*** DO NOT GET RECRUITS HOPES UP PLEASE
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    i heard that the recruitment has only been given to those who have been sworn in/medicals/army numbers issued etc. leaves my battalion with very few recruits, even though i heard that in the eastern and southern brigades, its open to a limited number still, even those who dont have medicals/army numbers etc. is that just bias against the west?
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heard something similar. Although people who were sworn in before the 27th of March were all exempt from the embargo because they had made it in before the moratorium took place. They were all saved.

But I have heard that it is looking like being a limited number allowed in, but the figure is something like 100 per brigade. 300 in total.

Unsure if that will be distributed evenly for each unit or not. And I think it should be because every unit has had to let recruits go. But that would work out at 11 per corps per brigade.

Heard something about the non-effectives being discharged to free up vacancies too for people.

But so far all that is going around is not concrete or set in stone. Could be at least another week before it all comes to light.

Post Thanks / Like
    The details have not been worked out yet. Any rumours you are hearing are idle speculation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mallen83 View Post
    Heard something similar. Although people who were sworn in before the 27th of March were all exempt from the embargo because they had made it in before the moratorium took place. They were all saved.

But I have heard that it is looking like being a limited number allowed in, but the figure is something like 100 per brigade. 300 in total.

Unsure if that will be distributed evenly for each unit or not. And I think it should be because every unit has had to let recruits go. But that would work out at 11 per corps per brigade.

Heard something about the non-effectives being discharged to free up vacancies too for people.

But so far all that is going around is not concrete or set in stone. Could be at least another week before it all comes to light.
    jesus i hope to feck they get rid of the on-effectives, our unit has a few!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-Effective People

I am fairly sure of what non-effective means, but in terms of how it will affect the recruits coming in, how will they be removed to free up vacancies?

The limited recruitment that is being mentioned is down to the removal of non-effective people (or deadwood as other people call them), so how will it be implemented that they will be discharged from said units?
    How long does it take to do, and does a signature be required from them? Especially as they are all gone, and the odds of getting a person to sign a form is a long shot. Can it be done without their signature?

I know its the army, but there must be a simple way to do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    being of a cynical disposition id like to see what the new policy actually means does it mean that you can recruit up to your strength as of a certain date , to your notional unit strength , or are we limited to a drip drip of one for one replacement ,
    is it just a way of saying there is no recruitment ban prior to the local elections but because of the time of year is it a ban by another name until next year ,
    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I am fairly sure of what non-effective means
    It means that a person didn't fulfill their training obligations in the previous training year (now November - October). It means that they are still a member of the RDF but they can't attend training unless they apply to be retaken on the effective strength (but they can be called up in an emergency)

but in terms of how it will affect the recruits coming in, how will they be removed to free up vacancies?
    Confused!!??
    Removed from the non-effective = they have applied to be retaken on the effective strength as they wish to attend training again

Discharged from the non-effective = they will no longer be in the RDF

TBC - nothing seen yet but the existing regulations only allow for discharge of non-effectives due to (a) TOE (there 3 years (or whatever) is up), (b) they have been non-effective for the last 2 years (important in the case of those signing up to 21 years etc), (c) at their own request

The limited recruitment that is being mentioned is down to the removal of non-effective people (or deadwood as other people call them), so how will it be implemented that they will be discharged from said units?
    How long does it take to do, and does a signature be required from them? Especially as they are all gone, and the odds of getting a person to sign a form is a long shot. Can it be done without their signature?

I know its the army, but there must be a simple way to do it?
    It is a h*ll of a lot easier to discharge someone from the non-effective than it is to enlist someone.

If it is at their own request = there is 1 form (signed by member, signed by coy OC (I think), signed by Bn CO, signed by OC Bde RDF, signed by GOC (I think). Contact them and explain, they may/may not come down

I've done a few and if everything goes to plan, it takes approx 1 month.

If it is TOE it is also simple enough.

Not sure about those on the non-effective for 2 years

Remember NOTHING is in stone untill it is in unit ROs!
    Last edited by DeV; 1st June 2009 at 21:05.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, in an ideal situation, what should happen then for every unit over the summer is an overhaul of all those people that are non-effective and then discharge them all.

Thus freeing up some vacancies within units. Although, be it a case of one-in-one-out, it is still better than nothing. But that would probably lead to smaller recruit classes, and less priority for training because of smaller numbers.
    Its not as great as it looks.

But I would agree with where GR is coming from It is unfair that those NE people hold positions for so long. Two years is a ridiculous length of time for them to qualify for a discharge.
    Probably the time frame on that should be a lot shorter, say 6 months. With allowances for people who are away studying, but they should still seek permission IMO for the leave. But it is ridiculous to know that people who can't be arsed about the RDF anymore are holding vacancies over those who wish to join.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, in an ideal situation, what should happen then for every unit over the summer is an overhaul of all those people that are non-effective and then discharge them all.
    I can't seek for any other sub-unit but in my sub-unit....

If anyone hasn't attended the required training.... they are posted non-effective....

They are discharged at TOE / own request (if we can get them to come up) / after 2 years on the non-effective list

Those are the only times that they can legally be discharged!

As far as I know the only time people can be posted non-effective is after 31 October.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the time frame on that should be a lot shorter, say 6 months. With allowances for people who are away studying, but they should still seek permission IMO for the leave. But it is ridiculous to know that people who can't be arsed about the RDF anymore are holding vacancies over those who wish to join.
    I know people who, through no fault of their own, are posted non-effective. Try to remember that those who can't commit every single second of their lives to the RDF can still contribute quite a lot - if anything an experienced 3* who is temporarily unavailable to train is much more valuable than a recruit who will leave after their first camp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I know people who, through no fault of their own, are posted non-effective. Try to remember that those who can't commit every single second of their lives to the RDF can still contribute quite a lot - if anything an experienced 3* who is temporarily unavailable to train is much more valuable than a recruit who will leave after their first camp.
    yeah but surely they could contact the unit involved and tell them that they wont be around for abit and to not take their non-attendance as desertion (for want of a better word )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    yeah but surely they could contact the unit involved and tell them that they wont be around for abit and to not take their non-attendance as desertion (for want of a better word )
    How do you know they didn't?

Post Thanks / Like
    well you never said either way

Post Thanks / Like
    I was referring to the general case of someone posted non-effective - don't assume that everyone just decides to feck off and not bother with the RDF any more, without telling anyone.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interested should read
    http://www.rdfra.ie/pdf/regulations/R5.pdf [ paras 49 and 50 ]. If you are unable to attend for various reasons, then you need to get a cert as per R5 AI [ Admin Instr ]

Non-effectives are traditionally posted in RO No. 1 of each year, because the end of the year is when your completion of training obligations are assessed.

The end of

http://www.rdfra.ie/news.shtml

discusses the obligations.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I was referring to the general case of someone posted non-effective - don't assume that everyone just decides to feck off and not bother with the RDF any more, without telling anyone.
    i wasnt assuming anything, but i do know there are a few in my unit and im sure other units have the same problem

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi lads im just wondering basically is there no chance of recruitment from scratch for someone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00martz00 View Post
    hi lads im just wondering basically is there no chance of recruitment from scratch for someone?
    the letter which i saw indicated that a limited recruitment of those already in the system was what the intent was , and even this was subject to review at a later date,
    the potential recruits from my units met wit willy and a local politician last week and even he was not sure what the in s and outs of the decision were ,
    my own interpretation is that it was that a lot of political pressure was brought in advance of the local elections , so the decision was reversed now that the locals are out of the way the government can drag their heels as long as they want delaying any intake of recruits until after the majority of units hold their summer camp , given the cut in man day s their will be no one to train them if they are sworn in ,
    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK no one has got in since DCOSs letter of 1 April, it said "untill D Reserve makes a decision".

It will depend on the unit and the decision that comes out, if it turns out as we thing it may unless the unit you are wishing to join gets rid of more people than they have in the process, the answer is virtually nil (at least this year anyway), next year .....??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Some interesting matters were raised in the SELECT COMMITTEE ON JUSTICE, EQUALITY, DEFENCE AND WOMEN'S RIGHTS

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate...&Ex=All&Page=1
    Here is one with regard to this thread

WOD
    With regard to the reduction in the RDF budget from slightly in excess of €6 million to €4.9 million, last year the outturn in respect of paid man days was approximately 80,000. This year we are providing for 60,000 man days. Deputies O’Shea and Deenihan asked me to clarify the position on recruitment to the Reserve Defence Force. As the Deputies will be aware, each year there is a fall-off in membership of the Reserve Defence Force. When the recruitment embargo was introduced we were advised it applied to the RDF. In effect, that meant we could not recruit more members although some people would drop out and, therefore, in net terms the figure would fall. In our initial discussions with the Department of Finance, we managed to prevent that happening and it has been agreed that I can recruit new members as others drop out, replacing people to keep the strength to present levels. That is the current position.
    Should someone tell him that it hasen't happened yet?
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the East, brigade are allocating places on a first come first served basis. Basically they are replacing personnel who have been discharged.

All the relevant paperwork is being sent to Bde (for personnel who have been sworn in).

65 Inf & another unit unit (can't remember who I think it was 67 Inf) have got people in the last week or 2.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    In the East, brigade are allocating places on a first come first served basis. Basically they are replacing personnel who have been discharged.

All the relevant paperwork is being sent to Bde (for personnel who have been sworn in).

65 Inf & another unit unit (can't remember who I think it was 67 Inf) have got people in the last week or 2.
    Is this true?
    I am not doubting you completely, but if it is true then at least its a start. And how did they manage to get around the red tape and get them sworn in?

Thread Information