Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like

Ramming of NS Vessels

I remember as a kid, my father telling me that naval vessels had been threatened in the past by large factory ships - I'm pretty sure he said they were Russian/Soviet.

Now he's a civvy, so I'm guessing this would have been reported via the media or the like.

Does anyone have information on whether this actually happened and what consequences if any there were?

I've read the stories on these pages about vessels that didn't stop/acted threateningly, and had everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them in response so maybe this is where it comes from.

Any info would be very welcome.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    It was actually the reverse wher larger russian vessel refused to move on when sked and gufire was sometimes used as a gentlepersuader.

naval ships captains are very professional mariners witha lot of experience and do not put their commands in range of being rammed.

Boarding operations are carried out from a safe distance and trawlers wouldn't have the dsah spped to catch a manouvering PV holding off and dropping her ships boats to to carry out boardings.

the are very well aware of the limitations of their vessels and don't even put them in striking distance.

the only exception being of ships being used to move other ships was during the Blockade of Dubiln port afew yeasrs back weher EMER I think nosed her way through the blocakde.
    Time for another break I think......

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for the link Dev and the insight hptmurphy.

Did a bit of googling around after posting, and found a website that had a brief mention of Deirdre "inviting" 10 or so Dutch ships home with her, after they were found fishing without permission in our EEZ.

Also mentioned a hospital ship being amongst the number (?!)

Anyway I guess I'm surprised at the behavior of all the vessels in question, when they're caught in the wrong. A round or two off, in the vast majority of cases brings them to heel.

I guess I was thinking that perhaps civilian vessels had done some dangerous/criminal things because they were backed up by big big powerful navies.

Anyway thanks again

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    the only exception being of ships being used to move other ships was during the Blockade of Dubiln port afew yeasrs back weher EMER I think nosed her way through the blocakde.
    She did more than nose her way through. I recall the airways being very 'blue' with colourfull language from the fishermen as she approached the line of trawlers which were chained together across the entrance to Dublin port. The captain eased his ship gently against the line and after repeated requests to open the blockade, he was met with a 'tirade' from the fisher men on VHF.

The Naval vessel then proceeded to gently lower her ships anchor on to the deck of the nearest trawler. This caused consternation amongst the trawler crew, who immediately moved to cut the chains and therby caused the blockade to part. And so ended the blockade of Dublin port.

What was not apparent, was that the rangers were on a following ship, fully geared up for battle if required. But a professional and calm approach from the leading Naval ship, put all that to bed.

I have seen other events over the years where naval crews were threathend and have witnessed Gardai and bailifs defending themselves on rogue trawlers during the famous salmon patrols. But thats the making of a book, as people would not believe what used to go on. The wild west would not come near some of the antics.
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 3rd April 2009 at 12:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the blockade about? I don't remember hearing about it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
    The Naval vessel then proceeded to gently lower her ships anchor on to the deck of the nearest trawler.
    Oh dear my hand slipped sir!

But thats the making of a book, as people would not believe what used to go on. The wild west would not come near some of the antics.
    Theres a job for you!

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    What was the blockade about? I don't remember hearing about it before.

Oh dear my hand slipped sir!

Theres a job for you!
    Gawd Dev, I need to write a book like I need a hole in the head

If I recall correctly, the blockade was in or around 1981 - '82

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah some of the salmon patrols hold stuff of legend.But I'm not qualified to write of the famous patrols of '83 and '84 as I wasn't there.

But I will give some indicators....breeze blocks, gas bottles, threathing to run trawlers aground..and so on

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget the book, when is the Hollywood movie coming out?

Post Thanks / Like
    just waiting for S B[MOD: SNIP] to be released from his contract with Morrisons to play me!

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeV;246646]What was the blockade about? I don't remember hearing about it before.

It was big news at the time -fishermen had a problem with the then government under haughey fishermen blocked dublin port for a few days - the blockcade was broken up by the navy 3 vessels were involved - all done late at night??

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah some of the salmon patrols hold stuff of legend.But I'm not qualified to write of the famous patrols of '83 and '84 as I wasn't there.

But I will give some indicators....breeze blocks, gas bottles, threathing to run trawlers aground..and so on
    dont forget kids bikes , hammers, chains, shotguns anything that was around

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing is for sure. The tels never had to worry about a gas bottle landing on their noggin. Unless it was the CO2 bottle from the bar. They were usually well tucked up in bed or 'busy' in the radio cabin. I don't think they saw natural light from one end of a patrol to the next. A telegraphist commenting on salmon patrols or any patrol for that matter......DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Bunch a civies in mufti.

Post Thanks / Like
    First officers, now tels. Did you get on with anyone?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vladimirputin View Post
    One thing is for sure. The tels never had to worry about a gas bottle landing on their noggin. Unless it was the CO2 bottle from the bar. They were usually well tucked up in bed or 'busy' in the radio cabin. I don't think they saw natural light from one end of a patrol to the next. A telegraphist commenting on salmon patrols or any patrol for that matter......DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Bunch a civies in mufti.
    You've some bleedin' neck. I will have you know that we went on boarding ops a fair bit on Deirdre when we were doing salmon patrols. Everyone who was available was nabbed at some point during the day. Pain in the hole it was but we all did them, for a time.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got on with R S.[MOD: SNIP]

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vladimirputin View Post
    yes believe it or not i have quite a few boarding in my day and what division are you coming from???

Post Thanks / Like
    'Reeling in the years' had some footage of Emer breaking the Dublin blockade.

Everybody was nabbed for boardings at some stage.I rememeber even the PO Steward doing boardings.

Its very unfair and a little harsh to say that everybody didn't play their fair part.Most enlisted stood watches of some description, there were stewards with steering tickets,Sigs stood seamans watches..even the supplies guys went out and did boardings.

We had the usual slagging matches amongst divisions, fair enough there were those who may not have been to the fore front but even the SBA's maade use of them selves doing bridge recorder andthere a re some of us who are very thankful to them, me in particular when the L/SBA did everything within his capabilities to make me very comfortable when I sustained a very serious injury.

During the time prior to being transferred to hospital even the XO was on hand to give advice , he had previusly studied medicine for a couple of years and was bang on in his observations and made arrangements to have me provided for ,

When transferred to hospital both himself and the captain , faults and all did more than would be normally expected to look after their man.

To me that said it all.

PO ERA who had nothing to do with me arranged to have his wife and her friends visit me on a daily basis and bring me things not available while in hospital...thanks Ritchie

the canteen manager made sure again that i would have some things I couldn't acess in hospital and the Cox'n went out f his way to make sure I had things like books etc available. Ted and Paddy Sull.

the PO TEl sent me up a box of batteries for my walk man....Ice... George..Ice

A cook even brought me up some female companionship

I think until you are in this sitauation you really don't really know how much of a family these people are

That was Eithne back then and thse were the people from The NS who really did endear them selves to me.

On discharge from the hospital, the CO's car was sent to collect me, and the medic fought with the transport officer to get me home.

Tell me of other people who would have done this for a 19 year old they barely knew. These guys I would defend until my dying breath.

Regardless of rank or division these people looked after a shipmate above and beyond and I'm well ****ing proud to have served with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice sentiments Murph
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have just had the chance to read this thread

Thanks for memories
    Was on Foc`sl of the Emer at that blockade (the abuse!) I was warned that fishermen could be sensitive and to knock it off
    It was just as well that I had written evidence of my parents marrige or I wouldn`t have known what to believe

Also the salmon patrol boardings , was on Grainne and people who were not there would say that you were making it all up but the people who were laugh and then add a story of their own mad days

MOGGY doing boarding ? :confused:
    Can confirm as I was the one who was cox`n of gemini who dropped him gently on to the deck of trawlers

indeed have brought all types on boardings even some who didn`t want to go

As for Hpt`s fond memories of a crew looking you when you needed it , I would have to agree 100% with him. Some people miss out never having experienced it

Again thanks for the memories
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by damo de muff diver View Post
    Have just had the chance to read this thread

Thanks for memories
    Was on Foc`sl of the Emer at that blockade (the abuse!) I was warned that fishermen could be sensitive and to knock it off
    It was just as well that I had written evidence of my parents marrige or I wouldn`t have known what to believe

Also the salmon patrol boardings , was on Grainne and people who were not there would say that you were making it all up but the people who were laugh and then add a story of their own mad days

MOGGY doing boarding ? :confused:
    Can confirm as I was the one who was cox`n of gemini who dropped him gently on to the deck of trawlers - gently your driving ha ha

indeed have brought all types on boardings even some who didn`t want to go

As for Hpt`s fond memories of a crew looking you when you needed it , I would have to agree 100% with him. Some people miss out never having experienced it

Again thanks for the memories
    unfortunately we have a few new imo members talking boll---ks - who probably werent in the ns then ??

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    unfortunately we have a few new imo members talking boll---ks - who probably werent in the ns then ??

4 to 8 watch was great though. Love the morning one, up at 4 and read a bit then take the BBC and RTE wx and get the bridge ready for boarding and issue the radios and then sign off and off to the trap.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes three places i enjoyed visiting .. the galley.. whats cooking ..the engine control room .. for the crack and the duty tel for all the ballhops .. and the tels going on boardings with the huge 77 set on their backs and blue rehab foul weather gear and 3 stripe blue rom footwear.. high tech stuff.. tels was not all easy as the wireless cabin was a crap place to be in bad weather. they had the job to do and also nearly were always on pos mess. so as a seaman i am defending the tels as i saw they done their job and as they say in the bible..THEN THEY RESTED.... remember a m[MOD: SNIP] the seaman when he fell asleep you couldnot wake him.. i saw a fellow empty an ashtray into his mouth one night and he still did not wake..as for salmon patrols. done a few with the bas.. thats another story..

Post Thanks / Like
    just waiting for S B[MOD: SNIP] to be released from his contract with Morrisons to play me!
    I nearly missed this one
    Don`t you mean Mr. Bean (the fella with the mini and a grudge against reliant robins)

Sorry Murph when it came to me just could`t resist

Also MOGGY
    there was no need to change quote and slag my driving skills , I was doing my best & only crashed when I really needed too
    Last edited by damo de muff diver; 5th April 2009 at 15:44.
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Retired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    yes three places i enjoyed visiting .. the galley.. whats cooking ..the engine control room .. for the crack and the duty tel for all the ballhops .. and the tels going on boardings with the huge 77 set on their backs and blue rehab foul weather gear and 3 stripe blue rom footwear.. high tech stuff..

All high tech now, Cougars and iComs...Harris radios now being looked at as well. Some MCO's were horrible in the bad wx. Eithne was a pain when it was rolling bad and I died a thousand deaths on both Peacocks even in good wx. I hated those bleedin' things.

Thread Information