X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got on with R S.[MOD: SNIP]

Comment

Originally posted by vladimirputin View Post
      One thing is for sure. The tels never had to worry about a gas bottle landing on their noggin. Unless it was the CO2 bottle from the bar. They were usually well tucked up in bed or 'busy' in the radio cabin. I don't think they saw natural light from one end of a patrol to the next. A telegraphist commenting on salmon patrols or any patrol for that matter......DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Bunch a civies in mufti.
      yes believe it or not i have quite a few boarding in my day and what division are you coming from???

Comment

'Reeling in the years' had some footage of Emer breaking the Dublin blockade.

Everybody was nabbed for boardings at some stage.I rememeber even the PO Steward doing boardings.

Its very unfair and a little harsh to say that everybody didn't play their fair part.Most enlisted stood watches of some description, there were stewards with steering tickets,Sigs stood seamans watches..even the supplies guys went out and did boardings.

We had the usual slagging matches amongst divisions, fair enough there were those who may not have been to the fore front but even the SBA's maade use of them selves doing bridge recorder andthere a re some of us who are very thankful to them, me in particular when the L/SBA did everything within his capabilities to make me very comfortable when I sustained a very serious injury.

During the time prior to being transferred to hospital even the XO was on hand to give advice , he had previusly studied medicine for a couple of years and was bang on in his observations and made arrangements to have me provided for ,

When transferred to hospital both himself and the captain , faults and all did more than would be normally expected to look after their man.

To me that said it all.

PO ERA who had nothing to do with me arranged to have his wife and her friends visit me on a daily basis and bring me things not available while in hospital...thanks Ritchie

the canteen manager made sure again that i would have some things I couldn't acess in hospital and the Cox'n went out f his way to make sure I had things like books etc available. Ted and Paddy Sull.

the PO TEl sent me up a box of batteries for my walk man....Ice... George..Ice

A cook even brought me up some female companionship

I think until you are in this sitauation you really don't really know how much of a family these people are

That was Eithne back then and thse were the people from The NS who really did endear them selves to me.

On discharge from the hospital, the CO's car was sent to collect me, and the medic fought with the transport officer to get me home.

Tell me of other people who would have done this for a 19 year old they barely knew. These guys I would defend until my dying breath.

Regardless of rank or division these people looked after a shipmate above and beyond and I'm well ****ing proud to have served with them.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Nice sentiments Murph
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Have just had the chance to read this thread

Thanks for memories
            Was on Foc`sl of the Emer at that blockade (the abuse!) I was warned that fishermen could be sensitive and to knock it off
            It was just as well that I had written evidence of my parents marrige or I wouldn`t have known what to believe

Also the salmon patrol boardings , was on Grainne and people who were not there would say that you were making it all up but the people who were laugh and then add a story of their own mad days

MOGGY doing boarding ? :confused:
            Can confirm as I was the one who was cox`n of gemini who dropped him gently on to the deck of trawlers

indeed have brought all types on boardings even some who didn`t want to go

As for Hpt`s fond memories of a crew looking you when you needed it , I would have to agree 100% with him. Some people miss out never having experienced it

Again thanks for the memories
            What do you mean abandon ship
            Are they taking requests?

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
              Have just had the chance to read this thread

Thanks for memories
              Was on Foc`sl of the Emer at that blockade (the abuse!) I was warned that fishermen could be sensitive and to knock it off
              It was just as well that I had written evidence of my parents marrige or I wouldn`t have known what to believe

Also the salmon patrol boardings , was on Grainne and people who were not there would say that you were making it all up but the people who were laugh and then add a story of their own mad days

MOGGY doing boarding ? :confused:
              Can confirm as I was the one who was cox`n of gemini who dropped him gently on to the deck of trawlers - gently your driving ha ha

indeed have brought all types on boardings even some who didn`t want to go

As for Hpt`s fond memories of a crew looking you when you needed it , I would have to agree 100% with him. Some people miss out never having experienced it

Again thanks for the memories
              unfortunately we have a few new imo members talking boll---ks - who probably werent in the ns then ??

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                unfortunately we have a few new imo members talking boll---ks - who probably werent in the ns then ??

4 to 8 watch was great though. Love the morning one, up at 4 and read a bit then take the BBC and RTE wx and get the bridge ready for boarding and issue the radios and then sign off and off to the trap.

Comment

yes three places i enjoyed visiting .. the galley.. whats cooking ..the engine control room .. for the crack and the duty tel for all the ballhops .. and the tels going on boardings with the huge 77 set on their backs and blue rehab foul weather gear and 3 stripe blue rom footwear.. high tech stuff.. tels was not all easy as the wireless cabin was a crap place to be in bad weather. they had the job to do and also nearly were always on pos mess. so as a seaman i am defending the tels as i saw they done their job and as they say in the bible..THEN THEY RESTED.... remember a m[MOD: SNIP] the seaman when he fell asleep you couldnot wake him.. i saw a fellow empty an ashtray into his mouth one night and he still did not wake..as for salmon patrols. done a few with the bas.. thats another story..

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    just waiting for S B[MOD: SNIP] to be released from his contract with Morrisons to play me!
                    I nearly missed this one
                    Don`t you mean Mr. Bean (the fella with the mini and a grudge against reliant robins)

Sorry Murph when it came to me just could`t resist

Also MOGGY
                    there was no need to change quote and slag my driving skills , I was doing my best & only crashed when I really needed too
                    Last edited by damo de muff diver; 5 April 2009, 15:44.
                    What do you mean abandon ship
                    Are they taking requests?

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                      yes three places i enjoyed visiting .. the galley.. whats cooking ..the engine control room .. for the crack and the duty tel for all the ballhops .. and the tels going on boardings with the huge 77 set on their backs and blue rehab foul weather gear and 3 stripe blue rom footwear.. high tech stuff..

All high tech now, Cougars and iComs...Harris radios now being looked at as well. Some MCO's were horrible in the bad wx. Eithne was a pain when it was rolling bad and I died a thousand deaths on both Peacocks even in good wx. I hated those bleedin' things.

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                        yes three places i enjoyed visiting .. the galley.. whats cooking ..the engine control room .. for the crack and the duty tel for all the ballhops .. and the tels going on boardings with the huge 77 set on their backs and blue rehab foul weather gear and 3 stripe blue rom footwear.. high tech stuff.. tels was not all easy as the wireless cabin was a crap place to be in bad weather. they had the job to do and also nearly were always on pos mess. so as a seaman i am defending the tels as i saw they done their job and as they say in the bible..THEN THEY RESTED.... remember albert millen the seaman when he fell asleep you couldnot wake him.. i saw a fellow empty an ashtray into his mouth one night and he still did not wake..as for salmon patrols. done a few with the bas.. thats another story..
                        poor albert he is still around - he was the only man on the wheel to cause a hugh zigzagging on his watch - it was worse then world war 2 atlantc war - he was very hard to wake up what good times hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                          I nearly missed this one
                          Don`t you mean Mr. Bean (the fella with the mini and a grudge against reliant robins)

Sorry Murph when it came to me just could`t resist

Also MOGGY
                          there was no need to change quote and slag my driving skills , I was doing my best & only crashed when I really needed too
                          sorry muck diver - i was talking to w barr last thur night remember the night you dropped us on a diego ship at 04:00 hrs only to come back at 08;00 to collect me and barr
                          the captain pulled the plug in the engine room we nearly had breakfast with 'nemo'
                          that morning - you came to our rescue with the usual smile and quote 'what did you to do to the ship' only you would say that???

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                            poor albert he is still around - he was the only man on the wheel to cause a hugh zigzagging on his watch - it was worse then world war 2 atlantc war - he was very hard to wake up what good times hee hee
                            I believe Albert left somewhere around 85ish and signed up with the Army.... He may still be there! Shared one of the forward berths on EMER for a very, very short time with him.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimirputin View Post
                              I got on with Ray S[MOD: SNIP].

As in engine room Ray ?

Comment

Correct. Engine room Ray. A sound bloke. A little misunderstood though.

Comment

Working...
                                X