Ramming of NS Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramming of NS Vessels

I remember as a kid, my father telling me that naval vessels had been threatened in the past by large factory ships - I'm pretty sure he said they were Russian/Soviet.

Now he's a civvy, so I'm guessing this would have been reported via the media or the like.

Does anyone have information on whether this actually happened and what consequences if any there were?

I've read the stories on these pages about vessels that didn't stop/acted threateningly, and had everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them in response so maybe this is where it comes from.

Any info would be very welcome.

Cheers.

It was actually the reverse wher larger russian vessel refused to move on when sked and gufire was sometimes used as a gentlepersuader.

naval ships captains are very professional mariners witha lot of experience and do not put their commands in range of being rammed.

Boarding operations are carried out from a safe distance and trawlers wouldn't have the dsah spped to catch a manouvering PV holding off and dropping her ships boats to to carry out boardings.

the are very well aware of the limitations of their vessels and don't even put them in striking distance.

the only exception being of ships being used to move other ships was during the Blockade of Dubiln port afew yeasrs back weher EMER I think nosed her way through the blocakde.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Cheers for the link Dev and the insight hptmurphy.

Did a bit of googling around after posting, and found a website that had a brief mention of Deirdre "inviting" 10 or so Dutch ships home with her, after they were found fishing without permission in our EEZ.

Also mentioned a hospital ship being amongst the number (?!)

Anyway I guess I'm surprised at the behavior of all the vessels in question, when they're caught in the wrong. A round or two off, in the vast majority of cases brings them to heel.

I guess I was thinking that perhaps civilian vessels had done some dangerous/criminal things because they were backed up by big big powerful navies.

Anyway thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        the only exception being of ships being used to move other ships was during the Blockade of Dubiln port afew yeasrs back weher EMER I think nosed her way through the blocakde.
        She did more than nose her way through. I recall the airways being very 'blue' with colourfull language from the fishermen as she approached the line of trawlers which were chained together across the entrance to Dublin port. The captain eased his ship gently against the line and after repeated requests to open the blockade, he was met with a 'tirade' from the fisher men on VHF.

The Naval vessel then proceeded to gently lower her ships anchor on to the deck of the nearest trawler. This caused consternation amongst the trawler crew, who immediately moved to cut the chains and therby caused the blockade to part. And so ended the blockade of Dublin port.

What was not apparent, was that the rangers were on a following ship, fully geared up for battle if required. But a professional and calm approach from the leading Naval ship, put all that to bed.

I have seen other events over the years where naval crews were threathend and have witnessed Gardai and bailifs defending themselves on rogue trawlers during the famous salmon patrols. But thats the making of a book, as people would not believe what used to go on. The wild west would not come near some of the antics.
        Last edited by Test Pilot; 3 April 2009, 12:37.

Comment

What was the blockade about? I don't remember hearing about it before.

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
          The Naval vessel then proceeded to gently lower her ships anchor on to the deck of the nearest trawler.
          Oh dear my hand slipped sir!

But thats the making of a book, as people would not believe what used to go on. The wild west would not come near some of the antics.
          Theres a job for you!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            What was the blockade about? I don't remember hearing about it before.

Oh dear my hand slipped sir!

Theres a job for you!
            Gawd Dev, I need to write a book like I need a hole in the head

If I recall correctly, the blockade was in or around 1981 - '82

Comment

Yeah some of the salmon patrols hold stuff of legend.But I'm not qualified to write of the famous patrols of '83 and '84 as I wasn't there.

But I will give some indicators....breeze blocks, gas bottles, threathing to run trawlers aground..and so on
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Forget the book, when is the Hollywood movie coming out?

Comment

just waiting for S B[MOD: SNIP] to be released from his contract with Morrisons to play me!

Comment

[QUOTE=DeV;246646]What was the blockade about? I don't remember hearing about it before.

It was big news at the time -fishermen had a problem with the then government under haughey fishermen blocked dublin port for a few days - the blockcade was broken up by the navy 3 vessels were involved - all done late at night??

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Yeah some of the salmon patrols hold stuff of legend.But I'm not qualified to write of the famous patrols of '83 and '84 as I wasn't there.

But I will give some indicators....breeze blocks, gas bottles, threathing to run trawlers aground..and so on
                      dont forget kids bikes , hammers, chains, shotguns anything that was around

Comment

One thing is for sure. The tels never had to worry about a gas bottle landing on their noggin. Unless it was the CO2 bottle from the bar. They were usually well tucked up in bed or 'busy' in the radio cabin. I don't think they saw natural light from one end of a patrol to the next. A telegraphist commenting on salmon patrols or any patrol for that matter......DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Bunch a civies in mufti.

Comment

First officers, now tels. Did you get on with anyone?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimirputin View Post
                            One thing is for sure. The tels never had to worry about a gas bottle landing on their noggin. Unless it was the CO2 bottle from the bar. They were usually well tucked up in bed or 'busy' in the radio cabin. I don't think they saw natural light from one end of a patrol to the next. A telegraphist commenting on salmon patrols or any patrol for that matter......DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. Bunch a civies in mufti.
                            You've some bleedin' neck. I will have you know that we went on boarding ops a fair bit on Deirdre when we were doing salmon patrols. Everyone who was available was nabbed at some point during the day. Pain in the hole it was but we all did them, for a time.

Comment

Working...
                            X