Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  92
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: navy

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Why is the assumption that any new berthage is within the basis?
    If the NS does ever get an EPV/MRV it could be much large than any current vessel.
    There is a Request for tender issued by the Department of Defence, to dredge basin West plus West wall area of silt( Contaminated ), to fit out west wall to berth 2 x 90 metre vessels to include shore power, water, lighting, access roads, and work areas, and to make staggered berthing for two ships in the Graving Dock. The tender also includes surveying the condition of Spenser Jetty. My own view is in an earlier comment. With all walls occupied by single berths, the central manoeuvring area will be about 140metres reducing towards the Basin entrance. Not enough for 130metre vessel.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the dismissal of the stonework in the graving dock. It served a purpose. The document also seems to be unaware of the function of a caisson and the usefulness it, and the pump house earmarked for demolition, could provide.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    It started sinking sometime round 2010, was scrapped soon after. Was in frequent use for maintenance of the CPVs but couldn't manage anything much bigger. There was a much larger one along side it for years.

Given that a lot of our energy production will in the coming years be offshore it is a pity that the old facilities have gone. Even just the fabrication of the towers would be a decent amount of work.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Leibherr are assembling cranes there at present. There is still plenty of space for fabrication, and plenty of mobile crane suppliers with impressive lift capabilities nearby so all is not lost, but modern fixed STS or Dockyard.cranes.make the whole business a bit safer.

5. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Well Leibherr are assembling cranes there at present. There is still plenty of space for fabrication, and plenty of mobile crane suppliers with impressive lift capabilities nearby so all is not lost, but modern fixed STS or Dockyard.cranes.make the whole business a bit safer.
    The site is described as DSG CORK Terminal. My view is that it will be a cargo handling terminal and repair will become a diminishing part of the facility. Perhaps long term afloat repairs will disappear. However since a lot of ships are gearless, large cranes , mobile or otherwise will be essential for cargo handling. Trucking will also be needed over narrow winding roads.

7. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The site is described as DSG CORK Terminal. My view is that it will be a cargo handling terminal and repair will become a diminishing part of the facility. Perhaps long term afloat repairs will disappear. However since a lot of ships are gearless, large cranes , mobile or otherwise will be essential for cargo handling. Trucking will also be needed over narrow winding roads.
    If they can get the 1500t mobile crane in, which has a travelling weight of 106t, they can get trucks in. It may also give some incentive to modernising and widening that stretch of road.
    They did it on the Whitegate road when the refinery was built over 50 years ago.

9. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Why go by road when you can go by water?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOwMmkP-94

If you need something smaller then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mr_pCrhTkk

11. Likes Shaqra liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why go by road when you can go by water?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOwMmkP-94

If you need something smaller then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mr_pCrhTkk
    Ok. Ways to skin cats. No beaches at DSG yard. Just to note. I spent 2 years in total standing by building two ships at VCD. The offices and facilities were under the Building Slips and were adjacent and parallel to the graving dock. When a ship is docked, and dry, all ship's domestics shuts down except a single galley outlet for grey water. The crews used the wash and restrooms ashore. There seems to be no assignable facilities adjacent to the Dock now. The History of this sole national Dock is that when Lemass assembled 18 ocean going ships to feed the nation during 1939-1945, he knew they needed a drydock so the state took over Cork Dockyard for the use of ISL. In latter years the State has relinquished it's responsibility for key infrastructure to profit motivated entities. There is now some plan afoot at DSG and it isn't to improve ship repair and maintenance. The site except for sheds is flattened.

13. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No beaches - then use the slipways

15. Likes DeV liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    No beaches - then use the slipways
    There is no way to get off the slipways. They are at an incline and don't finish on the seabed. They are designed for ships to slide off into a high tide. They don't work the other way round.

Thread Information