Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: navy

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    It is the Journal.
    If you need to get at the hull , pipework, and electrics then it is inevitable that cabins, bulkheads, hull lining and insulation will all have to be ripped out , and replaced in a fit out with all new materials and fittings. Virtually a new ship. All of that is consequent on hull areas having to be strengthened or cut out and replaced. When all is done I hope they carry out an Initial Stability Test to see if her start point for Stability is " as built " in the UK.

2. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    If you need to get at the hull , pipework, and electrics then it is inevitable that cabins, bulkheads, hull lining and insulation will all have to be ripped out , and replaced in a fit out with all new materials and fittings. Virtually a new ship. All of that is consequent on hull areas having to be strengthened or cut out and replaced. When all is done I hope they carry out an Initial Stability Test to see if her start point for Stability is " as built " in the UK.
    I was aboard Eithne during one of her refits. Quite intimidating to see the majority of internal spaces back to the bare metal. They also took the opportunity to abrasive blast her superstructure, and in doing so, (removing 30 years worth of paint) probably got her sitting a few marks higher in the water.
    Since Construction P51 has gained mounts for secondary armament quite high above the CG. For such a squat profile it was an interesting decision.
    Last edited by na grohmiti; 21st January 2020 at 21:48.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the line in the article " gymnasium and private accommodation "
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Love the line in the article " gymnasium and private accommodation "
    In our day read POs rec and sleeping in the emergency steering flat during harbour stations... not an impossible feat..
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    I know when Deirdre was stripped of all her paint , after her equipment was removed during her mid life refit in 87 it was reckoned she had risen about five inches in the water.
    Time for another break I think......

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I know when Deirdre was stripped of all her paint , after her equipment was removed during her mid life refit in 87 it was reckoned she had risen about five inches in the water.
    Certainly when a ship is stripped and cleaned of weed and shell , she will be a little lighter in the water, and will be faster due to reduced friction ( clean hull ).
    The overall reason is mathematics based on waterplane area (WPA) and Tonnes per centimetre (TPC) loaded on or off in Salt Water or Freshwater. If for example the TPC for a P61 is 7.5 tonnes and she decreased her draft by 12.5cm (5 inches+/-), she would have shed 93.75 tonnes. Our ships carry only a few hundred tonnes of usable weights and mostly make their own FW and have no unpredictable changes in draft, except as you point out after drydocking and paint job.

9. Thanks EUFighter, sofa thanked for this post

Thread Information