Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  80
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 126 to 131 of 131

Thread: navy

  1. #126
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting the Oyster bank and Curlane bank plans from, but these were alternative options given to Ringaskiddy redevelopment. They were ruled out on a number of engineering and environmental grounds. The East of the harbour suffers from a glut of underwater cables and outflows, as well as a very poor road infastructure. The R630 is already in bits from the volume of traffic just to the refinery (60 trucks an hour, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on average). The decommissioning of the older Aghada generating station will see the site used for Battery storage to support the grid coming from the newer Aghada station, the BGE power station next door to the Refinery, and the Wind turbines in Crocane.
    No matter what infastructure you provide for Container ships, you'll not see anything near 10000 TEU in Cork. We don't have the demand for ships of that size, while we continue to serve large feeder container ships to other Irish Ports.
    Oyster Bank area is NOT ruled out as the east-west leg of a container dog-legged berth will reside on part of it, and it is shown abutting NMCI grounds. I don't want to get into power stations as Electric Ireland have committed to importing all the replacement power caused by current and future closures. Shannon and wind will be it and the rest comes through connectors old and new to come on line. Any trouble in UK and Europe we will be goosed.

  2. Likes Shaqra liked this post
  3. #127
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Read a paper submitted to USNI about small Navies and a Need for a balanced force. The submission sees a need for forces at sea to act as a deterrent and to have an ability to keep sea lanes open. The agreed tasks are in the areas of Surface, Air, Submarine, and MCM with a range of platforms to undertake defensive tasks. We are the ultimate example of need in that we are totally surrounded by sea and heavily focused in location and capability. To be successful smaller navies need to pool training and tasks with another to maintain efforts . In our case, because knowledge was embedded in few personnel with access to a few platforms, when people and ships retired the Navy was literally destructured . Our political efforts since then was to put ships on the water with no particular capability, except for one, later de-classified.
    It can and should be achieved by insisting on following the Mission come what may and that is the Duty of Command.
    As a former user, I would suggest we use the P31 for training Naval Reserves. Our neighbour is using two ships for alongside training. Find a secure Berth around Fords Wharf or the Harbour Commissioners wharf and man the ship with a cadre with sufficient knowledge to run her systems, maintain the Cork Company's administration, and train the enlisted volunteers in all shipboard equipments and protocols appropriate to their Branches. They should maintain the ship and learn over time to be experienced enough to be assigned to seagoing ships as useful ships crew. They could shift the Cork Unit HQ from Collins Barracks to the ship. In ordinary circumstances she would need to be on shore power and have access to services such as FW, waste disposal, and fuel . She is a self made academy covering all Branches.

  4. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  5. #128
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    As a former user, I would suggest we use the P31 for training Naval Reserves. Our neighbour is using two ships for alongside training. Find a secure Berth around Fords Wharf or the Harbour Commissioners wharf and man the ship with a cadre with sufficient knowledge to run her systems, maintain the Cork Company's administration, and train the enlisted volunteers in all shipboard equipments and protocols appropriate to their Branches. They should maintain the ship and learn over time to be experienced enough to be assigned to seagoing ships as useful ships crew. They could shift the Cork Unit HQ from Collins Barracks to the ship. In ordinary circumstances she would need to be on shore power and have access to services such as FW, waste disposal, and fuel . She is a self made academy covering all Branches.
    Her current location is a pretty secure berth. The Cork NSR unit is based in Haulbowline.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  6. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
  7. #129
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Her current location is a pretty secure berth. The Cork NSR unit is based in Haulbowline.
    In that case the ship would need to be at the base as she needs to be secure enough to leave her short manned or even unmanned overnight, unless NSR watches are running. An Open berth in Cork would be too vulnerable and raise potential security problems.

  8. #130
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    In that case the ship would need to be at the base as she needs to be secure enough to leave her short manned or even unmanned overnight, unless NSR watches are running. An Open berth in Cork would be too vulnerable and raise potential security problems.
    Then you are dealing with a ISPS Code situation. While the rules may not apply to Naval vessels, they do apply to the quayside. If you are going to a permanent berth, then it is easy to secure access. Every marina in the country can manage it, all you need is a Gate at the end of the gangway. Custom House Quay (north) is ideal in this regard, but the imminent redevelopment may change this. When Tivoli is downgraded from a working container port, it's quays are also easily secured, as the gates are already there. The Old Terminal is ideal for shore accommodation.
    Ideally, you need a dedicated naval berth which, when required, can also accommodate visiting naval vessels, and give them the security they desire and deserve. While the Cruiseliner berth can handle the larger ships safely, it would be nice to see the smaller European and Non European ships back up the quays again. Not seen anything interesting since HMAS ANZAC about 12 years ago.
    Tivoli Could do all this.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  9. #131
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Then you are dealing with a ISPS Code situation. While the rules may not apply to Naval vessels, they do apply to the quayside. If you are going to a permanent berth, then it is easy to secure access. Every marina in the country can manage it, all you need is a Gate at the end of the gangway. Custom House Quay (north) is ideal in this regard, but the imminent redevelopment may change this. When Tivoli is downgraded from a working container port, it's quays are also easily secured, as the gates are already there. The Old Terminal is ideal for shore accommodation.
    Ideally, you need a dedicated naval berth which, when required, can also accommodate visiting naval vessels, and give them the security they desire and deserve. While the Cruiseliner berth can handle the larger ships safely, it would be nice to see the smaller European and Non European ships back up the quays again. Not seen anything interesting since HMAS ANZAC about 12 years ago.
    Tivoli Could do all this.
    The ISPS Code was born from the Twin Towers incident in New York and transferred, due impending risk of a similar nature, up to nuclear, to shipping entering port. Security is paramount for ships in open ports. What we would need is a secure Naval only berth that is lockable and/or guardable. The Cork HA are talking about using Tivoli for small coasters when the container cranes are removed. However if the NSR are Haulbowline based then that unit can use an adapted berth there and use any alongside ship assigned to training. It leaves Waterford, Dublin, and Limerick to be sited under similar security for their training craft only.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •