Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTG

And whats the deal with DTG?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Date time group, used to ensure there is no ambiguity when giving/receiving orders

It follows the format Date=Time=Month=Year
    eg 9 pm tonight would be

112100Jul09

I don't know if the others would be commonly known so I'll refrain from answering at the moment.

Edit: Apparantly theres already a discrepancy with dtg! :redface:
    Last edited by concussion; 11 July 2009, 20:22.
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Here's how DTG's are correctly done.

Date Time Group: (I'll use the current time as an example)

Date of the month: 11
      Time: 2247
      Time Zone: A (as its summer time, Z when its winter time)
      Month: JUL
      Year: 09

So its now 112247AJUL09

The time zone system is handy as it tells you the timezone for the location. So if you were in Paris for example it would be 112347BJUL09.

Comment

So in DTG's Grenwich mean time is time zone A in Sumer and Z in Winter?

At least I know what a DTG is now. I used to think it was Date Time Grid at the start.
        Last edited by Bam Bam; 12 July 2009, 01:15.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by cooley View Post
          Here's how DTG's are correctly done.

Date Time Group: (I'll use the current time as an example)

Date of the month: 11
          Time: 2247
          Time Zone: A (as its summer time, Z when its winter time)
          Month: JUL
          Year: 09

So its now 112247AJUL09

The time zone system is handy as it tells you the timezone for the location. So if you were in Paris for example it would be 112347BJUL09.
          To save confusion its usually best to stick with Zulu time throughout the year.

Comment

Manual of Staff Duties tells you the timezone letters [ also isn't there an acronym list in there ? ] . As rooster says many combined forces use Zulu as less chance of confusion, for example if you're calling in airstrikes that took off three timezones away
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              To save confusion its usually best to stick with Zulu time throughout the year.
              I would have taught so but thats incorrect (according to the manual):

Dublin 1 pm on 1 December 2009 = 011300Z Dec 09

Dublin 1pm on 1 July 2009 = 011300A July 09

Zulu is Greenwich Mean Time which is only in operation from the 4th Sunday in October to the 3rd Sunday in March, otherwise in Ireland & the UK it is BST (British Summer Time) denoted by "A".

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                I would have taught so but thats incorrect (according to the manual):

Dublin 1 pm on 1 December 2009 = 011300Z Dec 09

Dublin 1pm on 1 July 2009 = 011300A July 09

Zulu is Greenwich Mean Time which is only in operation from the 4th Sunday in October to the 3rd Sunday in March, otherwise in Ireland & the UK it is BST (British Summer Time) denoted by "A".
                I thought that zulu was zulu no matter what the time zone, in other words zulu is only GMT for half the year.

Comment

Zulu is GMT all the time. GMT does not change with BST.

TAM = Tank Argentino Median, BTW

NTM
                  Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Post 7 is the offical Irish line
                    Last edited by DeV; 12 July 2009, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                      I thought that zulu was zulu no matter what the time zone, in other words zulu is only GMT for half the year.
                      It's the local time that changes not GMT.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

As CT and GH say, GMT is GMT all the time and is "Z" (zulu). BST is British Summer Time. In Ireland it is called IST (Irish Summer Time). It is aslo known as WEDT (Western Europe Daylight (saving) Time) and WEST (Western Europe Summer Time) and operates from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. IST is GMT + 1 and is the "A" (alpha) zone. GMT (zulu) may (and is, for example for tides) be used all year, IST may only be used between the above dates.
                        Last edited by Vickers; 12 July 2009, 22:41. Reason: To acknowledge GH's post above
                        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

I left this out: GMT is also known as UTC (Coordinated Universal Time).See http://www.timeanddate.com/library/a...es/eu/gmt.html
                          "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Question: What is the difference between "Y" Yankee Time Zone and "M" Mike Time Zone?. I know that Y is UTC -12 and M is UTC + 12. Is it a day? Why use one over the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                              Question: What is the difference between "Y" Yankee Time Zone and "M" Mike Time Zone?. I know that Y is UTC -12 and M is UTC + 12. Is it a day? Why use one over the other?
                              So what letter applies to

French Polynesia UTC-9.5
                              Norfolk Is UTC+11.5
                              Chatham Is UTC+12.75
                              Tonga Is UTC+13 (N?)
                              Line Is UTC+14 (O?)
                              Last edited by luchi; 13 July 2009, 14:30.
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Working...
                              X