Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like

navy diver info?

Any body able give some info on becoming a navy diver? The trainng/roles/conditions etc? And how goabout joining? Thanx!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is reputed to be one of the hardest courses in the DF (10 weeks long), they train to operate at depths of up to 50 metres in zero visibility:

http://www.military.ie/naval/special...vers/index.htm

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    It is reputed to be one of the hardest courses in the DF (10 weeks long), they train to operate at depths of up to 50 metres in zero visibility:

http://www.military.ie/naval/special...vers/index.htm
    You had to be half mad to even consider doing this course! I remember seeing these guys training, jumping off bridge wings in the basin and the bridge to Ringaskiddy. Didn't somebody die on a mud runs a few years ago? I’m sure things have improved in terms of expertise over the years but I’m curious as to how they compare internationally to other diving units. I know the likes of the RN would have a longer history, and bigger budget, as would the Americans but how do we fare?

I read somewhere, for example, that the ARW did really well a couple of years ago in a Special Forces competition in Germany, probably shocked a lot of begrudgers along the way! How do the NS divers stand?

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen one or two PDF Army lads wearing the badge for this on their No.1's
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    The NSDS also run the diving courses for the wing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember one night while fishing in Cobh, seeing them "walking" from white point to the Basin. All you could see was the clyalume sticks occasionally on the top of the water.

I didn't catch any of them..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I remember one night while fishing in Cobh, seeing them "walking" from white point to the Basin. All you could see was the clyalume sticks occasionally on the top of the water.

I didn't catch any of them..

That’s one hell of an image! In relation to above “How good are the NS divers?” I’m not being smart here, just curious, but when you see them do stuff like walk from White Point to the Basin, who teaches them to do that? I know we have our own pool of expertise and experience by now but how do the divers update skills and techniques? Is it the RN, the Americans?

Post Thanks / Like
    First things first,

Got to join the Naval Service first, apply for the course when it becomes avaiable,meet with the fitness and medical criteria.. and then do the course.

Saw the training in progress and reckon thers a lot of pain involved..apart from that I'll leave it up to the experts.

They are damn good and in their role would be rated very highly
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That’s one hell of an image! In relation to above “How good are the NS divers?” I’m not being smart here, just curious, but when you see them do stuff like walk from White Point to the Basin, who teaches them to do that? I know we have our own pool of expertise and experience by now but how do the divers update skills and techniques? Is it the RN, the Americans?
    I know that Clearance Divers initially learnt much of their art from the RN.

Post Thanks / Like
    military.ie says typically 30 start the course & 4 complete it successfully!!

Up untill the around 1982 they were trained by RN (Clearance divers are still trained in the UK).

Training courses are held off the south & west around Christmas as the weather is harsher

http://www.raco.ie/signalpdfs/2_1_beneathwaves.pdf

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back when I was in the sea scouts an NS diver came to talk to us one night.
    His tales of fingertip searches for bodies and the training and so on impressed the heck out of me. They also put me right off ever wanting to have anything to do with the job.

A couple of months ago I saw divers (not sure if they were NS or other) searching Cork Harbour for a missing person. They started up by the oiling wharf (I think that's what it's called) at the the naval base, and the current had them and the support boat down beyond the entrance to the basin in a few minutes. I can't understand how they can operate in those conditions. And that was a calm day in the harbour!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    military.ie says typically 30 start the course & 4 complete it successfully!!
    On any given intake you would be lucky to find thirty that could even pass the medical..never mind the course.

Back to a couple of points Doc made.

the jumping off the bridge in Ringaskiddy had to be stopped as at low tide there were some obstacles in the water which made it dangerous.

The guy who died on the mud run had in fact a heart condition that went undetected at the medical. hyper ventilation in a dry suit was thought to have triggered a condition that other wise may never have been life threatning.

I suppose the highest credit to the divers comes in two categories...two of the DSM holders from the Air India Disaster were divers..and the NSDS has never lost a man on operations..which in itself speaks volumes on the quality of the training.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The NSDS also run the diving courses for the wing.
    yes the wing do all their intensive courses with the navy and some gardai have done a few as well ... damo was a ships diver.... any officer who went to england on the demolition course allways topped it and showed the quality of the course ran in haulboline a dedicated bunch of lads and out in all weathers ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post

I suppose the highest credit to the divers comes in two categories...two of the DSM holders from the Air India Disaster were divers..and the NSDS has never lost a man on operations..which in itself speaks volumes on the quality of the training.
    I'm not sure how many DSMs the NS has been awarded over the years, but at least 3 of them are divers.

Post Thanks / Like
    whats the white and blue penant in the photos mean?
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    whats the white and blue penant in the photos mean?
    Divers down - give wide berth. Should also be displayed at the VS tower, as well as on the RIB, while diving in the vicinity of the Naval Base.
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 24th July 2009 at 11:17.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of Deirdre's crew did the a diving course of sorts anytime we pulled into Dunlaoghaire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that Vlad is back, I must mention that Mark Mellet is a diver.
    Perhaps the Best Diver in the Naval service...

Post Thanks / Like
    damo was a ships diver....
    Would know nothing about the way diving courses are run today

Did the first ships diving course run in Ireland in 1982

72 all ranks did the week long aptitude test = 8 passed
    8 started course = 4 passed
    so it were a bit tough
    all diving courses that I know about were run in similiar fashion
    had to be tough as it takes a toll on the body , phyical , mental & medical

Now that Vlad is back, I must mention that Mark Mellet is a diver.
    Perhaps the Best Diver in the Naval service...
    Did a SAR diving course with MM in 1985 & as I am no longer in service have to agree
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
    Divers down - give wide berth. Should also be displayed at the VS tower, as well as on the RIB, while diving in the vicinity of the Naval Base.
    thanks test pilot...are the penants you see such as this one or the ones they fly from the ships peculiar to the NS or an international standard? if joe bloggs navy came to the base would they recognise the meaning of the flags flying and visa versa for theirs?
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Post Thanks / Like
    Same code flags mean the same thing internationally. Code book(International Code of signals) is available in every language, but the flags and combinations of them always mean the same.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn/flags/flags.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Damo, the Royal Navy SAR diving course is supposed to have been one of the toughest British Forces courses - you must have been fit out. What was the course routine?

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the first ships diving course run in Ireland in 1982

72 all ranks did the week long aptitude test = 8 passed
    8 started course = 4 passed
    so it were a bit tough
    all diving courses that I know about were run in similiar fashion
    had to be tough as it takes a toll on the body , phyical , mental & medical
    I did the diving course in the base also, but sadly did not make the physical grade in the end. The diving officer then was Shane A.

I recall that there was a 'pot belly' stove in the dive store which tended to operate on the smoky side. We were kitted out waiting for the boat to collect us when SA appeared out from the office and asked if we could sort out that stove once and for all. We did!

We figured that the stove pipe needed to be cleaned, but as the fire was still lit that perhaps we should clean from the top down.

We climbed on to the roof and dropped a lead weight down the pipe with the intention that what ever blockage was in the flue would clear. It got stuck!

Disaster. The whole dive store was filled with dense black smoke and every one coughing and spluttering. SA came out from the office to investigate the noise and couldn't believe his eyes.

He made it quite clear in no uncertain terms to sort this mess now. We scampered back on to the roof, where two of the lads crashed THROUGH the roof in to the smoke filled store.

All hell broke lose. WE had destroyed part of the roof and smoked the place out.

Suffice to say we got our arse kicked for the rest of the day
    Last edited by Boomer; 25th July 2009 at 19:17.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice one.... now where did shane end up.. he was a nice individual and prone to watching videos of an active nature

Post Thanks / Like

SAR course

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    Damo, the Royal Navy SAR diving course is supposed to have been one of the toughest British Forces courses - you must have been fit out. What was the course routine?
    Don`t know about fit just a hell of a lot younger
    Went to RNAS Culdrose
    Spent the first 2 weeks learning how to jump using BASAR set ( Breathing Aparatus Search & Rescue ) As per photos in Falmouth harbour
    Did lots of jumps with tasks in between eg. finding a weight that the instructor had threw in prior to jump or to navigate your way under water as per instructions
    Then moved onto heli-jumps again with tasks in Portkerries
    also did lifting exercises as with scrap car lifting from sea floor
    Also did medical training , free accent training & underwater escape trials "Dunker" in Portsmouth

Remember having to run everywhere & do exercise
    P.T. instructors you have to love them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by damo de muff diver; 26th July 2009 at 09:55.
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Thread Information