Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 151 to 164 of 164
  1. #151
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    A few years ago, some friends from the US were over, including their father, Marvin (in his 70’s). We got the ferry over to Ireland with them, and Marvin was very excited, he said it was his first time ever on a ship at sea. I knew he was a USN Vet, but when I asked him how come, he said he’d spent seven years in the USN based in Chicago the whole time - be never got near the sea!

    Anyway, I digress, carry on...
    It was most likely Marvin's first time on salt water , lake Michigan is pretty big but not the biggest of the Great Lakes but you do get ocean going vessels arriving in the lakes from the Atlantic via St Laurence Seaway .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  2. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post
  3. #152
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    It was most likely Marvin's first time on salt water , lake Michigan is pretty big but not the biggest of the Great Lakes but you do get ocean going vessels arriving in the lakes from the Atlantic via St Laurence Seaway .
    I'm sure flamingo has a little chuckle when ever he sees this scene from a Few Good Men

    https://youtu.be/6SMp3ALALqE
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed!
    I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  4. Likes EUFighter, Flamingo, Truck Driver liked this post
  5. #153
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,139
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    It was most likely Marvin's first time on salt water , lake Michigan is pretty big but not the biggest of the Great Lakes but you do get ocean going vessels arriving in the lakes from the Atlantic via St Laurence Seaway .
    He enjoyed it, he spent the trip on deck - luckily enough it was good weather!
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  6. #154
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,139
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    I'm sure flamingo has a little chuckle when ever he sees this scene from a Few Good Men

    https://youtu.be/6SMp3ALALqE
    I’d forgotten that one!
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  7. Likes CTU liked this post
  8. #155
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Rant accepted, if it's any consolation my first visit to DL was by sea, in a leisure boat, via the yacht club. Their showers were much better than that found aboard.
    I was a frequent visitor over the years since and always liked the vibe there.
    My last visit in 2018, I was shocked at the decline of the whole town. I think the decline of the Harbour contributed largely to this. That and of course Heroin.
    It's middle class junkyville for a long time now. The end of the ferry service knocked out passing trade for the hotels, resturants and shops. No parking in the town also messed up shopping so people just head to Dundrum. Also the Naval pier the last time I was there it had a 2 meter wire fence around it's waters edge.

  9. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  10. #156
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    It's middle class junkyville for a long time now. The end of the ferry service knocked out passing trade for the hotels, resturants and shops. No parking in the town also messed up shopping so people just head to Dundrum. Also the Naval pier the last time I was there it had a 2 meter wire fence around it's waters edge.
    Has been junkie ridden for a long time.

    Town centre went seriously down hill when they opened the 2nd shopping centre (Tesco Bloomfield) in the town centre. Last time I was in the original shopping centre about half the units were vacant. Top floor is now becoming a primary care centre

  11. Likes Shaqra liked this post
  12. #157
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,842
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Naval Pier got it's name , and use , as it was a trade for the removal of the Naval Buoy from the middle of the harbour. It was some evolution on the Corvette, put down a sea boat, rowing, with a Buoy Jumper, come up to the buoy, ring lifted by the buoy jumper,snap on your Buoy wire, heave up to the Buoy. Jumper (s) had to be strong swimmers. Then the ship lowered it's anchor cable, sans anchor, with a buoy shackle attached. The jumper shackled on to the buoy and he/they were recovered by boat. In the RN they climbed back up the Chain to the focsle. I would think in legal useage that pier is ours.

  13. Thanks Flamingo, sofa, Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes Sluggie, sofa, Shaqra, TangoSierra liked this post
  14. #158
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The Naval Pier got it's name , and use , as it was a trade for the removal of the Naval Buoy from the middle of the harbour. It was some evolution on the Corvette, put down a sea boat, rowing, with a Buoy Jumper, come up to the buoy, ring lifted by the buoy jumper,snap on your Buoy wire, heave up to the Buoy. Jumper (s) had to be strong swimmers. Then the ship lowered it's anchor cable, sans anchor, with a buoy shackle attached. The jumper shackled on to the buoy and he/they were recovered by boat. In the RN they climbed back up the Chain to the focsle. I would think in legal useage that pier is ours.
    Write a book.

    Please.

    Memories like that are precious and tell a tale of what life was like for your generation...
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

  15. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, sofa, Shaqra, TangoSierra liked this post
  16. #159
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    €13.75 million euro would build a completely new modern building 120m X 30m X 3.5stories which would include
    66 two-person rooms ensuite
    two common/canteen areas per 30rooms.
    2 X Laundrette facilities per 30 rooms
    1 X Drying rooms with 60 lockers per 30 rooms
    300 seat auditorium,
    80 person office spaces,
    Qty 10 X 15 person classrooms,
    a library bigger than DFTC library,
    a weights gym three times the size of the DFPES
    A canteen space bigger than NMCI's
    As well as reception hallway with accomodation office, reception toilets (male/female/disabled) etc and 130 kit lockers

    All this was done in another EU military base with labour costs double that of Ireland.

  17. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
  18. #160
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we can talk about buying a new ship, 2 X CN295, 3 X PC-12Ms, Mowag upgrades etc, then we can talk about putting one of these buildings in McKee, Curragh, Naval Base, Cork, Galway.

  19. #161
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh forgot. It was built and fitted out and put into use in less than 24 months.

    The DF could literally call up the architect, order a copy and paste version of the building and put it in several barracks around the country.
    Last edited by TangoSierra; 1st June 2020 at 14:47.

  20. Likes Truck Driver, sofa liked this post
  21. #162
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    €13.75 million euro would build a completely new modern building 120m X 30m X 3.5stories which would include
    66 two-person rooms ensuite
    two common/canteen areas per 30rooms.
    2 X Laundrette facilities per 30 rooms
    1 X Drying rooms with 60 lockers per 30 rooms
    300 seat auditorium,
    80 person office spaces,
    Qty 10 X 15 person classrooms,
    a library bigger than DFTC library,
    a weights gym three times the size of the DFPES
    A canteen space bigger than NMCI's
    As well as reception hallway with accomodation office, reception toilets (male/female/disabled) etc and 130 kit lockers

    All this was done in another EU military base with labour costs double that of Ireland.
    Source?

  22. Likes CTU liked this post
  23. #163
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,484
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    €13.75 million euro would build a completely new modern building 120m X 30m X 3.5stories which would include
    66 two-person rooms ensuite
    two common/canteen areas per 30rooms.
    2 X Laundrette facilities per 30 rooms
    1 X Drying rooms with 60 lockers per 30 rooms
    300 seat auditorium,
    80 person office spaces,
    Qty 10 X 15 person classrooms,
    a library bigger than DFTC library,
    a weights gym three times the size of the DFPES
    A canteen space bigger than NMCI's
    As well as reception hallway with accomodation office, reception toilets (male/female/disabled) etc and 130 kit lockers

    All this was done in another EU military base with labour costs double that of Ireland.
    Great to see the relative breakdown of what you are getting for the expenditure... thanks for that....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  24. #164
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,842
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Great to see the relative breakdown of what you are getting for the expenditure... thanks for that....
    The History of State building is littered with expensive choices and buildings not yet finished. I like the EU package, it is exactly what is need in 2020. Even Murphy's communal Building proposal last year would be better then rebuilding Victoriana as dimensional strictures apply. I was wondering where the sewerage take-up will be at block 8 to cope with 80 healthy bowels.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •