• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Marines' Accommodation Is '100 Times Better'
    28th Sep 2009

New single living accommodation at RMB Chivenor
    View full gallery

Innovative design methods in new accommodation for Royal Marines are ensuring that when they return from operations in Afghanistan they are suitably housed and that those injured can stay with their unit. Report by Tristan Kelly.

The recent delivery of the sixth and final block of the £21.9m SLAM (Single Living Accommodation Modernisation) project at Royal Marines Base Chivenor, Devon, was warmly welcomed by Marines at the base.

Many had previously been housed in older accommodation that lacked suitable storage and washing facilities and forced the Marines to share rooms.

The new accommodation takes the form of buildings with individual rooms for the Marines in wings containing six- and eight-man flats.

Each flat has its own common room and a utility room. Such a configuration allows the Marines the benefit of an individual and private room while maintaining an environment that allows for interaction and camaraderie.

One such Marine who has been enjoying the summer in the new accommodation since moving from an older block two months ago is Lance Corporal Keith Smith, a recovery mechanic in the Royal Marines Commando Logistic Regiment who worked out of forward operating bases in Afghanistan for six months between October 2008 and March 2009.

Commenting on the new accommodation, Lance Corporal Smith said:

"The new accommodation is 100 times better. There are a lot better facilities as you have a rest room and communal area so the lads are not just stopping in the rooms on their own. There is an amazing kitchen and drying room, we really have everything we need.

"Everybody is in the same building from the same squadron so everyone is mingling together and it's a lot more communal. The job is easier as you are living with the guys you are working with.

"I came from four-man rooms which were good but you had no privacy; here you have both - the communal area and the private space. This is fantastic.

"Instead of now having to ram all your stuff into a locker we have space for all your field kit."

His views were echoed by Marine Adam Richardson:

"It is a lot better than we had before; we have more privacy and also have the choice of social interaction in the shared kitchen and common room."

The new accommodation block at Chivenor was recently handed over from Defence Estates (DE) to the Royal Marines as part of the MOD's Project SLAM.

The SLAM work at Chivenor is being delivered in two phases. Phase 1 provided 138 Junior Ranks 'Z-style' en-suite bedrooms in two accommodation blocks and was completed in August 2006 at a cost of £6.9m.

Phase 2 began in October 2007 and has delivered a further 264 Junior Ranks 'Z-style' en-suite bedrooms in four accommodation blocks at a cost of approximately £15m. The last block - Block 3 - was handed over on 11 September 2009.
    Prior to the handover DE Project Manager Tony Bird and client representative Major Nick Underwood jointly toured the new facility.

Commenting on the new block, Major Nick Underwood said:

"This block, the standard of fit and finish is the best we have seen so far. It is exemplary. The number of bed spaces it provides will be a significant aid to accommodating all our people."

Following the handover, Tony Bird explained that the cost of SLAM projects has been kept down using off-site construction methodologies.

The Chivenor project is a good example of this, with the bedroom modules being constructed off-site by a firm in Nottingham.

Using these modules, the three-storey SLAM building at Chivenor has been erected from its foundations in just three weeks. The majority of internal finishing is completed prior to delivery, including en-suite tiling, walls and fittings.

The construction of the roofs, building face brick finishes, decorating, and the connection of the services are then completed on-site along with the final landscaping works.

The construction method also allows for adaptability, and one of the key features of Block 3 is that it also includes two 'accessible bed spaces' for those with impairments, to give the establishment the scope for retaining injured personnel returning to Service.

The ground floor plan of the block has been adapted so that what would ordinarily be three SLA bed spaces becomes two accessible rooms thus providing sufficient space to meet a range of requirements for those with impairments and disabilities.

Likewise, these bed spaces are fitted with adaptable rails so that they cater for the widest possible scope of disability and allow for injured servicemen to return to their unit rather than have to travel long distances or seek roles at other establishments.

Major Underwood said:

"The provision of these two accessible rooms will provide for people we already know need them. Hopefully they will not be needed in the future but we have to plan and now we do have that contingency."

The new accommodation at Chivenor is part of a wider investment in Single Living Accommodation the MOD has made over the past seven years, providing 35,000 trained military personnel with accommodation of the highest modern standard.
    By 2020, Defence Estates aims to provide 70 per cent of SLA at the top level (Grade 1) and the remainder at Grade 2.

Just thought it might be interesting to see what you can get for the money involved

Article here.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Phase 1 provided 138 Junior Ranks 'Z-style' en-suite bedrooms in two accommodation blocks and was completed in August 2006 at a cost of £6.9m.

The DF couldn't afford that type of money.

I've stated in accomodiation in McKee, Gormo & McDonagh (I think it was), 4 man rooms, spacious & comfortable!

But having said that I wasn't in any for more than a week.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Phase 1 provided 138 Junior Ranks 'Z-style' en-suite bedrooms in two accommodation blocks and was completed in August 2006 at a cost of £6.9m.

The DF couldn't afford that type of money.

I've stated in accomodiation in McKee, Gormo & McDonagh (I think it was), 4 man rooms, spacious & comfortable!

But having said that I wasn't in any for more than a week.
        The accomodation for living in personnel in Gormo is a mix of 2 man and 1 man rooms.

Then you have A and B block with a mix of 4 and 8 man rooms. They're anything but comfortable or spacious.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
          The accomodation for living in personnel in Gormo is a mix of 2 man and 1 man rooms.

Then you have A and B block with a mix of 4 and 8 man rooms. They're anything but comfortable or spacious.
          Then again, the accommodation block in Athlone opposite the cookhouse is an example of
          what CAN be done, when minds are focused
          - 4 person rooms, a wardrobe per bed, properly tiled toilets, individual shower cubicles,
          drying rooms and laundry rooms - a lovely job
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The accomodation in the DF has come on leaps and bounds since I joined-

I always think that the younger lads should share rooms- as in 2 or 3 per spacious room

this promotes camradarie more than anything and esppecially in this play station / IPOD era.

When accomodation was a serious issue in the Brugha a few years ago- the suggestion was made

that the 10 grace and favour houses that currently house - 10 Officers families - should be converted

into something like the marines did- they are all 4 bedroom houses, therefore if you take one house

we could have 4 lads living in it- sharing the common areas but having there own private bedrooms-

they would cook and clean for themselves and pay a fair rent.

the benefits would be plain to see etc.

As we know from the 10 officers families still living in CBB and renting out there own private houses- this suggestion was never acted on.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Well now. Any time I look for accomodation in CBB [ apart from rare rays of sunlight ] because I've people coming in from [say ] Tinahely for an early start to the range or whatnot, I'm turned down.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Hedgehog

Youre spot on with your comments about junior soldiers sharing rooms The camp i am on has z type for every soldier. There have been cases of newer soldiers whose problems have been compounded because after work they " locked down " in their own en siute room
                Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  Well now. Any time I look for accomodation in CBB [ apart from rare rays of sunlight ] because I've people coming in from [say ] Tinahely for an early start to the range or whatnot, I'm turned down.
                  thats because its packed out-

however if we got rid of the grace and favour houses then thats a minimun of 40 extra

bods housed at very little costs-

the gaffs could be divided up amongst young officers- females- males etc

NCO's- Pte's

Soldiers- clerks- tpt- medics- PA's etc

Comment

HH U might be of an age to remember the open drain crappers in the Glen and also I think Gormo,or the rat invested accom in Dundalk before they built the "New block" in the 70s. Yes accomadation has improved and well done to whoever.
                    Agree with your pt about shared accomadation.
                    As regards the grace and favour houses for the gentlemen , surely this is just another example of the Raj mentality as came up in another thread. I can see where the Oc Barracks could be justified but 10. On the issue of the "Raj" can u advise as to whether there is a difference in the accompanied and unaccompanied luggae allowance for officers and other ranks, when coming from overseas trips.

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                      HH U might be of an age to remember the open drain crappers in the Glen
                      You realise that they only built the new ones around 2002

I was in Kilkenny around 2003/4 and they still had them!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        You realise that they only built the new ones around 2002

I was in Kilkenny around 2003/4 and they still had them!
                        The Cow Shed type showers in Kilkenny were warmer than the indoor showers,
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Crap reporting

Miitary Officers are being forced to pay out...

and then

the levy which has not been introduced...

On a different point I remember a time when very few enlisted men had cars
                          seemingly RACO still live in those days because

if this levy comes in
                          it wont just affect RACO it would also affect those personnel that those Officers are supposed to have the honour of leading

why didnt they run a joint RACO - PDFORRA campaign on this.

Army officers face €200 levy to park at 'home'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Army officers face €200 levy to park at 'home'
                          Irish Independent
                          By Tom Brady
                          Thursday November 26 2009

MILITARY officers who live in barracks are being forced to pay a €200 levy for parking their cars outside their front doors.

The officers are caught by a new measure introduced by Finance Minister Brian Lenihan in the 2009 Budget.

The parking levy is a charge on employees for the use of parking facilities provided by an employer. It is restricted to designated urban areas in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford.

The levy, which has not yet been implemented as officials work out how it should be collected, amounts to a €200 flat rate, subject to certain reductions and exemptions.

But the biennial conference of Raco, the representative association for officers in the Defence Forces, heard in Cavan yesterday that an anomaly has arisen where officers are living in and working in the same barracks.

Under Defence Forces regulations, officers must live in barracks after they have been commissioned and must apply for permission to move out.

Raco accepts that the Defence Forces have probably become unwittingly caught up in the parking levy, which is not aimed at them.

But, in practice, it will mean that officers living in McKee and Cathal Brugha barracks in Dublin, Collins in Cork, Renmore in Galway and Sarsfields barracks in Limerick, will have to fork out the levy annually.

Barracks

Defence Forces headquarters delegate Captain Shane Keogh said that for those officers the barracks was essentially their home.

"To impose a levy on officers to park their cars in their de facto homes does not seem very equitable," he told the conference.

"The Defence Forces is unique in the public service in that officers are tasked to both live and work at their station," he added. The conference unanimously passed a motion proposing that they should be exempt from the levy in barracks.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            if this levy comes in
                            it wont just affect RACO it would also affect those personnel that those Officers are supposed to have the honour of leading
                            Actually that thought crossed my mind while reading that... The next thought was "Why aren't PDFORRA giving out shite"

Easy to blame the RACO, but they are after all an organisation to look out for officers. I'm not saying I agree with the reporting that insinuates that it's only officers that would suffer the effects thuogh....

Go complain to your local FF TD
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

PDFORRA are not cribbing about it because

we have real problems facing us

not maybe problems

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

why didnt they run a joint RACO - PDFORRA campaign on this.
                                But RACO doesn't represent the personnel that they are leading and this is why I believe that the RAs are one of the most divisive issues with the DF. Whatever about it happening in the normal course of events (which is also wrong) the RAs creates a framework for officers must pursue their own self interest without any reference to the troops that they lead.

Your suggestion about married quarters in CBB is a very valid one but with RACO on the scene the only pers that will ever occupy those houses are officers, married or otherwise. Why? There's no way 'they'd let PDFORRA get one over on them'. If the GOC could make that decision himself (or any decision without incurring the wrath of the RAs) then there might be some chance. BTW There is a complex legal issue as well I'm told. Similar to the situation with some of the married quarters in the Curragh - Primary Family Residence or some such carry on. BTW the first that should go is the Padre. Nice man and all that.........but an entire house to himself?

Comment

Working...
                                X