DF accomodation issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not an anti RACO thread so dont turn it that way,

Officers are just as entitled to representation as us boys.

But RACO doesn't represent the personnel that they are leading
    bull-

the members of RACO just like us have 2 primary duties

1- attain the mission
    2-look after the welfare of their men

after that There RACO stuff comes next

if
    Last edited by hedgehog; 26 November 2009, 16:19.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

How much is someone charged for in relation to living in accomodation? Enlisted and Officer.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

It's fairly small, but HH has raised a fair point about married quarters. It's a tiny amount considering what they get for it. It's an anachronism in the current context. Cork was the best/worst example that I ever encountered and you had all sorts of scams with officers renting out their private homes down the road and moving into married quarters etc. I think all that is gone now, and the camp field too? Any from the South care to update.

Comment

Camp field is out of use. They put in tennis courts in the North west corner of the pitch. Pitch and Put club is still there. The old officer houses are mostly boarded up for a few years now.
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            bull-

the members of RACO just like us have 2 primary duties

1- attain the mission
            2-look after the welfare of their men

after that there own welfare comes next-

There RACO stuff comes next

if
            We're straying onto another thread but not all officers are members of RACO and unfortunately when those that are 'put their RACO hat on' points 1 and 2 often fly out the window. Problem is the very existence of RAs means that some of them wear the RACO hat a little too often, and some never take it off. Not making excuses, just my analysis. It really annoyed when I served and public utterances suggest that it has gotten worse.

Just saying that I think everyone, and perhaps everyones accommodation would be better without the RAs looking after their own special cliques. It's the same with PDFORRA not having the appetite to tackle MFOs. I don't know what it's like now but those guys used to block a lot of accommodation (and good accommodation too). Tried to tackle that as part of group tasked by the Bks OC as part of his initiative for all accommodation. We ran into awful problems with RACO and PDFORRA. The junior ranks (officer and o/ranks) were getting screwed in order to look after more senior pers many of whom had had no entitlement to any barrack accommodation, never mind grabbing all the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              Camp field is out of use. They put in tennis courts in the North west corner of the pitch. Pitch and Put club is still there. The old officer houses are mostly boarded up for a few years now.
              All of the houses? There were two types there. The 'older' ones were fine houses in the south west corner. Have they just been boarded up too? What a waste. A bit of work and they could have sold them off easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                How much is someone charged for in relation to living in accomodation? Enlisted and Officer.
                For a Private per week

Quarters - 3.38
                Rations - 40.25

Total of 43.63 euro per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
                  For a Private per week

Quarters - 3.38
                  Rations - 40.25

Total of 43.63 euro per week.
                  These figures are out of date. The charge for Quarters is dependent on the quality of the accommodation, from €0 for rooms classed not fit for habitation, up to approx €37 for the dogs b****cks, although those rooms are, I would imagine rare.

JESSUP, take your anti Rep Assoc rant back to the representation thread so I can ignore you in just one place
                  CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Haulbowline

Work will start next year on building a new accommodation block at the naval service headquarters in Haulbowline Island, Cork, with the aim of bringing an end to the regular occurrence of up to 80 sailors sleeping on ships on their days off.

Comment

• Listed building 200 years old with most of the original fabric built by Mitchell and other Fenians before going on holidays to Australia. The stairs are stone shiny surfaces the same design as the ones that collapsed at the Museum in Dublin. Not sure how it will work for housing 70 personnel of mixed F/M and varying ranks. The top floors in the middle Block, were used to lay out technical boards of Survey and stuff waiting to be sold/ disposed. The floors were planks of pitch pine or similar, gnarled and antique-great oily smell. The middle floor were for the items for issue and the ground floor was for big metal items, pipework, timbers. It had a double head height. I would have preferred that a new structure with an agreed cu.m space per person was planned to provide bunk, wardrobes, whb, desk, shower cubicle, Common room with fridge and hot/cold drinks facility and entertainment unit TV etc. Outside a decent parking area. Will it conform to planning eg 37 sq.m per single occ. unit or 45 sq.m for two occupants.
                      I would prefer that all were single units self contained. Silk purses will always be different to Sows Ears.
                      Last edited by ancientmariner; 23 May 2020, 11:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                        Listed building 200 years old with most of the original fabric built by Mitchell and other Fenians before going on holidays to Australia. The stairs are stone shiny surfaces the same design as the ones that collapsed at the Museum in Dublin. Not sure how it will work for housing 70 personnel of mixed F/M and varying ranks. The top floors in the middle Block, were used to lay out technical boards of Survey and stuff waiting to be sold/ disposed. The floors were planks of pitch pine or similar, gnarled and antique-great oily smell. The middle floor were for the items for issue and the ground floor was for big metal items, pipework, timbers. It had a double head height. I would have preferred that a new structure with an agreed cu.m space per person was planned to provide bunk, wardrobes, whb, desk, shower cubicle, Common room with fridge and hot/cold drinks facility and entertainment unit TV etc. Outside a decent parking area. Will it conform to planning eg 37 sq.m per single occ. unit or 45 sq.m for two occupants.
                        I would prefer that all were single units self contained. Silk purses will always be different to Sows Ears.
                        The one and only Review into Conditions in our Services was in 1992 which was a brave attempt to make Service Life more of the time and age we were in. It realised then that there were residential units in the PDF unfit for habitation. The strength at the time was 13,000 and what has happened since, slashed 4,500 personnel, closed barracks, deleted units, boarded up accommodation, developed a policy that looking after retention factors in the PDF was anachronistic. So much so that even the concept of providing medical and housing needs was redacted so that your average service person went to "work" like any civvy company worker. There is much under provision throughout the Services and neglect of retention factors will eventually become a political scandal.

Comment

• Isn't Block 8 the one where it is said grain was stored, and rotted, from non use, during the Famine?
                          All that is currently stored in Block 8, where will that end up? I thought the plan was to refurbish block 9, 10 or the Hospital? It's as easy to refurbish a block in a state of total disrepair as it is to do so to a building in poor repair. The problem with the one in Poor repair is you end up saving things that would otherwise have ended up in the skip long ago.
                          Attached photo of 9, 10 and hospital block as seen around 2008

edit: I note the protective roof of the centre building had been put in place between 2006 and 2008, based on other photos I have.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by na grohmiti; 25 May 2020, 14:18.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                            Isn't Block 8 the one where it is said grain was stored, and rotted, from non use, during the Famine?
                            All that is currently stored in Block 8, where will that end up? I thought the plan was to refurbish block 9, 10 or the Hospital? It's as easy to refurbish a block in a state of total disrepair as it is to do so to a building in poor repair. The problem with the one in Poor repair is you end up saving things that would otherwise have ended up in the skip long ago.
                            Attached photo of 9, 10 and hospital block as seen around 2008

edit: I note the protective roof of the centre building had been put in place between 2006 and 2008, based on other photos I have.
                            Knocking them would be cheaper

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Knocking them would be cheaper
                              Given that block 4 is still standing (braced) after a fire that destroyed all but its limestone walls, I doubt that. They were fine buildings in their time, and have only fallen into disrepair in the last 20 years.
                              Many years ago ancientmariner and my father, me and others (then only a youngfella) sat next to each other in an office within the building where the temporary roof is now, as we both enjoyed a tour of a fully active Irish Steel. It suffered a fire sometime before the closure, which killed one of its staff. One not nearly as devastating to structure as that of Block 4,(which had timber stairs and flooring) but once the roof caved in it was open to the elements, and nobody cared.
                              Indeed, a steel frame structure could easily bring block 4 back to life, if it wasn't for the reluctance of the OPW (and DoD) to do so, given that the fire itself did away with it's purpose, the storage of documents and artifacts from the naval service and before.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                Given that block 4 is still standing (braced) after a fire that destroyed all but its limestone walls, I doubt that. They were fine buildings in their time, and have only fallen into disrepair in the last 20 years.
                                Many years ago ancientmariner and my father, me and others (then only a youngfella) sat next to each other in an office within the building where the temporary roof is now, as we both enjoyed a tour of a fully active Irish Steel. It suffered a fire sometime before the closure, which killed one of its staff. One not nearly as devastating to structure as that of Block 4,(which had timber stairs and flooring) but once the roof caved in it was open to the elements, and nobody cared.
                                Indeed, a steel frame structure could easily bring block 4 back to life, if it wasn't for the reluctance of the OPW (and DoD) to do so, given that the fire itself did away with it's purpose, the storage of documents and artifacts from the naval service and before.
                                The whole Naval Base and it's future is still being subject to accidental unplanned interventions by Agencies that have NO interest in it's Service future. A forced sanitising of an area used as a dump for hazardous materials leaves us with a Cork Harbour Amenity Area in order to legitimise an unplanned expenditure in budgets. The departure of ISH has left us with a collection of buildings that were originally MOD property and are the age they are . The pragmatists are now out to fiddle with some buildings for billets of the "sure it will work out variety". In the meantime the remainder are there unwanted and unloved especially Block 4. They need to put in OUR drydock and gear the place for looking after 8/9 ships their crews and families. Just do it using the Brit template already there. Put back MQ's ,PO, and a Commissary for all residents together with laundry and drycleaning.

Comment

Working...
                                X