X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah the muzzel loader version
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I think the difference is that while I did it on the No 4 Mk 2, yours was on the No IV, mk II..
      Jealousy will get you no where!

Age is but a number,You too will be old like us one day..but what fun it was getting here.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I had to do duties with one of them thar muskets in the Brugha in '78 as a sandbag, much to the derision of the 2nd battallion grunts there at the time. They had them new fangled F.N things

Comment

As we are talking 'muskets', don't forget the Gustav .

From the range on Spike Island. Now long gone.

Can you name the guys?

I recall it was not uncommon to get a hot ejected shell down one's neck!
          Attached Files

Comment

Red Haired guy is from Sligo first name joe was a L/Mech, Ricky S, other two not a clue, far left might be an EA Martin P

Comment

Originally posted by blaisec View Post
              Red Haired guy is from Sligo first name joe was a L/Mech, Ricky S, other two not a clue, far left might be an EA Martin P
              Joe Banks , now an Operating Engineer in Chicago and in charge of a very large sky scraper, Derek Graham < L/ cook > also in the same line of work
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

PJ Phelan with the specs I think.

Comment

PJ Phelan with the specs I think

i was thinking along the lines of Willie Bryant but could be mistake.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post

Can you name the guys?

Oh Dear sweet Jesus in the heaven not the Gustav! I had my moment of infamy with one on the range on an NCOs course in Ballincollig. Didn’t tuck my collar in (See R Starmer in photo above!) and got a hot one down my neck from the guy next to me on the firing line. Bloody thing rolled inside my shirt and burned the back off me. The pain made me jump, and at the same time let off an almighty spray from the Gustav, with my eyes closed as it happens! Holy God those rounds can fly. It was all over in seconds but by the time I figured out what was going on, I had wiped out a large a rock in front of me and the shrapnel went every where, the firing line had disintegrated.

They cleared hedges, jumped under trucks and just plan fled to avoid the carnage. Shane the Brain clicked my heels together and tore lumps out of me, which wasn’t unusual. The thing was I couldn’t stand still ‘cos the round was still burning my back. The more I wriggled the more he shouted at me and the more it burned the more I wriggled. I thought his head would explode. There was song in the charts at the time “You don’t have to take your clothes off to have a good time”. By the time we got back to the billet my colleagues were signing “You don’t have to shoot your toes off to have a good time!”

Comment

Jasus Lads ye have Hi jacked my Post , the gustav one was funny its a wonder half us were not killed with all the messin that went on .

Here is a few more odds unfortunately poor quality again.

This was a Deck party Some Where

The Guy in the Blue Hat ?
                      I don't know what others think of him but I always had great time for him.
                      He will go down in the Annals of the INS ( bad Choice of words there )

The Man In a Cap >>>
                      Deck Party >>>
                      Emer 1982 >>>
                      Last edited by wreckmaster; 19 September 2009, 01:48.

Comment

Originally posted by wreckmaster View Post
                        The Arran Islands caper was just unbelievable , There's a film in that "The night we hit the sand bank" starring Paddy and Luigi .

There's a few more heads in there I think I recognize
                        Cha the Tel was your brother a tel also ? were you on Emer with Billy Biscuits ?
                        Sorry to hear about the hair Moggy , still got mine .
                        Are you still diving Damo I took up diving after the navy and am still active.

Moggy lost his hair gracefully not like some who let little sea creatures eat away at them and then had to destroy everything in his bunk space in case any were crawling around(hope she was worth it).

Poor Bernard O'S was never the same after the climb up Sir John Rogersons quay or the Arran Island.I never seen lads to sober up as quick as I did that night .

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post

Can you name the guys?

martin plunkett. joe banks pj phelan and the bould starmer.. plunkett being from cavan fired from the left so no one would get his empty cases
                          Last edited by golden rivet; 26 August 2009, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by wreckmaster View Post
                            Jasus Lads ye have Hi jacked my Post , the gustav one was funny its a wonder half us were not killed with all the messin that went on .

Here is a few more odds unfortunately poor quality again.

This was a Deck party Some Where

The Guy in the Blue Hat ?
                            I don't know what others think of him but I always had great time for him.
                            He will go down in the Annals of the INS ( bad Choice of words there )

The Man In a Cap >>>
                            Deck Party >>>
                            Emer 1982 >>>
                            welcome to the crack wreckmaster did our paths ever cross...

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              PJ Phelan with the specs I think

i was thinking along the lines of Willie Bryant but could be mistake.
                              No, it not Willie.

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                                welcome to the crack wreckmaster did our paths ever cross...
                                We possibly did although , I recently spent a few days with another ex Emer man Mick M from Dundrum he was on Hols in my neck of the woods ,
                                from our conversations I was surprised at how few people I knew outside the crew I worked with . could be just old age too .

Comment

Working...
                                X