Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the point in DPM rank markings and nametags?

Apart from looking ridiculous of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
      What is the point in DPM rank markings and nametags?

camouflage , duh

uniformity? that being negated when some do have em, some dont etc
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• If everyone wears the issued name tags and rank slides then there will be uniformity...
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Originally posted by concussion View Post
          If everyone wears the issued name tags and rank slides then there will be uniformity...
          but sure that would make too much sense!
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
            Do protac make the Dpm Sleeves to hold the GPMG spare barrel and spare parts? We had them on the range recently and they appear to be the same as some of the Protac gear? Dpm but not perfect basically the protac version!
            Yes.They do.

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
            What is the point in DPM rank markings and nametags?

None.They look retarded and make it next to impossible to read someones name unless you are a foot from them.Counter productive.
            But then if you want to talk ridiculous all we gotta do is mention the new "Defence forces ireland" flashesand the idea of replacing a small,hard to see at a distance tricolour with a big f**k off one!Great idea from a force protection view for overseas ops.Not much good on a tactical exercise,course etc.
            A better idea would have been to have velcro patches pre sewn to the sleeves Ala the nametag and supply a pack of tricolours with the matching velcro sewn onto them.You could then whip em off when needed.But hey that would make sense.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
              Yes.They do.

None.They look retarded and make it next to impossible to read someones name unless you are a foot from them.Counter productive.
              But then if you want to talk ridiculous all we gotta do is mention the new "Defence forces ireland" flashesand the idea of replacing a small,hard to see at a distance tricolour with a big f**k off one!Great idea from a force protection view for overseas ops.Not much good on a tactical exercise,course etc.
              A better idea would have been to have velcro patches pre sewn to the sleeves Ala the nametag and supply a pack of tricolours with the matching velcro sewn onto them.You could then whip em off when needed.But hey that would make sense.
              This is an unusal situation i find myself in, as i am in totall agreement with you on this.......
              But there's no danger
              It's a professional career
              Though it could be arranged
              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
              If you're out of luck you're out of work
              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Not liking the look of those new pockets...would something more tactical focused be a better idea, like the pockets on the US Army Uniform?
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                  Not liking the look of those new pockets...would something more tactical focused be a better idea, like the pockets on the US Army Uniform?
                  Which new pockets, shirt, smock, trousers??
                  Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Shirt...As shown

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
                      They also sell the issue Irish DPM body armour!

I saw a guy on tactics wearing this, i always wondered where he got it!
                      You do know that's not the issued body armour don't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                        Shirt...As shown
                        Those pockets are crud.

Who comes up with these ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                          but sure that would make too much sense!

I don't see what you mean. It's the standard, not something toward which an attempt has been made to attain.
                          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Originally posted by concussion View Post
                            I don't see what you mean. It's the standard, not something toward which an attempt has been made to attain.
                            x2

There's nothing uniform about wearing non-issue nametags and rank markings.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              i think thats exactly what i'll be getting done myself....same as some of the overseas shirts that had velcro put on them.

as an aside the shirt sketch looks like the shirt is regressing to the short sleeve olive ones we used to be issued with.
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• I think the velcro patches would be a great idea, will it ever happen though...probably not

Comment

Working...
                                X