X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
    its a smock you can see the front buttons on it
    Damn - I was thinking of the earlier issue rain jacket - it had buttons on the storm flap, the current one has Velcro fasteners.... well spotted....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      That's some eyesight you've got to be able to say that - I couldn't tell from that picture if it was a smock or a rain jacket, TBH...
      When you wear these things every day you recognise them in a seecond

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
        When you wear these things every day you recognise them in a seecond
        You're a Padré and wear a Stole?
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          you're a padré and wear a stole?
          :-d

rotlmfao....
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            Any updates on issues of the mythical DPM norgie and driflos??Anybody even seen em,let alone been issued em??Surely to god the stock of the OG stuff should be run down by now.
            I have had the DPM norgie about a year and a half now and have slowly seen them being issued more and more. Nice piece of kit I think, warm, light, comfortable and packs up small. Basically the complete opposite of the old one. I haven't seen DPM driflows and don't really want to. They sound like a really stupid idea.

Comment

• Now how is it that cork are getting them and the rest of the brigade aren't??
              One question.Can the one you were issued be closed fully at the neck?The stores lads were saying that the first batch of the DPM ones had the same design flaw as the '09 pattern ones(Neck widths too narrow).
              As for the DPM driflos.I agree.Over engineered for home use,but optimised for wear around camp overseas(Rank velcro,Tri-colour)
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Ya, you have a choice between it being zipped up or breathing but not both. Thankfully I don't like things around my neck like that and am also quite fond of breathing so it stays unzipped. Also when its zipped up it can be seen under the shirt

Comment

• I figured as much
                  Second batch has supposedly had the problem fixed to allow them to close properly.Bit of a waste issuing an item that is supposed to keep the back of your neck warm,but not being able to wear it in a way that does!!
                  Don't worry about it being seen under a shirt.When worn properly zipped up its supposed to be!
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I figured as much
                    Second batch has supposedly had the problem fixed to allow them to close properly.Bit of a waste issuing an item that is supposed to keep the back of your neck warm,but not being able to wear it in a way that does!!
                    Don't worry about it being seen under a shirt.When worn properly zipped up its supposed to be!
                    With the OG Norgies, they were worn under the DPM shirt, with the collar fully zipped up, and the DPM shirt sleeves worn down, with the trousers tucked into the
                    trousers (a la winter dress)

What always struck me daft about this was once you warmed up, if you wanted to remove the Norgie, you had to strip to your T Shirt to take it off, then
                    put back on the DPM shirt, and tuck into the trousers again

With a DPM Norgie matching the rest of the uniform, is it still being worn the same way as before, or can it now be worn over the DPM shirt ? Just mildly curious, as like you,
                    I have not seen any DPM Norgies or Dri Flos in service as yet - I've only seen the pictures on the Connect pullout from a few months back...

Comment

• I've not even got a driflo of any description. Well I have my own Helly hansen stuff.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• If you did this years 10 K you'd have got a nice driflo.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• With the OG Norgies, they were worn under the DPM shirt, with the collar fully zipped up, and the DPM shirt sleeves worn down, with the trousers tucked into the
                          trousers (a la winter dress)
                          You can wear the Norgie the same way(zipped up,sleeves on DPM shirt down) with the shirt untucked also as most DPM shirts are longer or the same lenght as the Norgie.The new Norgies dont have the "fishtail" like the old ones so they wont stick out below the DPM shirt.
                          What always struck me daft about this was once you warmed up, if you wanted to remove the Norgie, you had to strip to your T Shirt to take it off, then
                          put back on the DPM shirt, and tuck into the trousers again
                          Wear it as outlined above.Problem solved.If on the ground you are overheating just open the neck zip to ventilate or remove the shirt and just wear the smock over the norgie.
                          With a DPM Norgie matching the rest of the uniform, is it still being worn the same way as before, or can it now be worn over the DPM shirt ? Just mildly curious, as like you,
                          I have not seen any DPM Norgies or Dri Flos in service as yet - I've only seen the pictures on the Connect pullout from a few months back.
                          The Norgie is NOT a jumper or fleece.You DONT wear it over anything but a baselayer.I have seen it done but you end up looking like a spa!Remember the layers are designed to work in a certain way.The sweat wicking and thermal layers are worn closest to the skin.The DPM shirts are designed to work as an over garment for driflo and Norgies.They are sweat wicking also(new type) and quick drying.if you wear a driflo,then a DPM shirt and then a Norgie the sweat has nowhere to go.Our new fleece has a breathable liner also to be worn over all of those items.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                          I've not even got a driflo of any description. Well I have my own Helly hansen stuff.
                          As did we all before they went on issue.you must not have gotten an issue in awhile.Cotton t-shirts are off the issue,replaced across the board with driflo.

Comment

• Didn't the US and UK stop issuing dryflo on account of burns injuries and the material melting into the flesh?

Is this not a concern for the DF? Or considering our deployments not really an issue? Or am I wrong on the above?
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• It probably is to an extent.What the big nations discovered over the last ten years is that where the easily meltable items are covered then its not as big a hazard.Hence the trend for UBACS shirts.The meltable polyester area is covered by the CBA whilst the arms which are mostly cotton are exposed.In our case at this point in time our SOP(not a state secret!) in areas where IED's are a possibility is to wear the shirt sleeves down.This helps to mitigate flash burns.DRIFLOs are never worn as an outer garment outside of camp.
                              General issue of our UBACS is at least a year away.Watch the SOP change when that comes on stream.
                              Last edited by apod; 21 March 2013, 18:26.

Comment

The Norgie is NOT a jumper or fleece.You DONT wear it over anything but a baselayer.I have seen it done but you end up looking like a spa!Remember the layers are designed to work in a certain way.The sweat wicking and thermal layers are worn closest to the skin.The DPM shirts are designed to work as an over garment for driflo and Norgies.They are sweat wicking also(new type) and quick drying.if you wear a driflo,then a DPM shirt and then a Norgie the sweat has nowhere to go.
                                You are 100% right but why did they spend more getting them in DPM?

Comment

Working...
                                X