No announcement yet.

Irish AFV at Bovington Tank Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it? (I know it's not an ambulance, after that my expertise ends :-) )
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
      Looks like a Leyland, or Landsverg, armoured car (never could tell the difference), but if you are ever at a Cavalry Open day they will both be on display.
      CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Thanks. Will try, but unlikely I'd either get a trip home at the right time, or be able to get an invite!

Comment

its a leyland Armoured Car
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Its Leyland Armoured Car., Should be a Ford in or around their some where..Oh I forgot, we took it back to put on display in Collins BKs

We also have one in the curragh, difference is our one runs.

cav day is over , Last Weekend in August
            Last edited by hptmurphy; 27 October 2009, 02:03.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Theirs not to make reply,
              Theirs not to reason why,
              Theirs but to do and die:
              Into the valley of Death
              Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Not bad for a home build.These were a Leyland TerrierTruck chassis with an Armoured car type body and turret grafted on. Served up to the early 1980s , the last three with with 5th Motor ( Cavalry) Squadron in Castlebar.The fourth had been scapped in the 1960s.

Three of the four originals still exist, One in the Curragh, One in the howth Museum and the one in Bovintongton.
                Believe it or not the First one was actually built in 1934 and all four were eventually fitted with Landsverk turrets which explains the difficulty in seperating the two types although the difference is very obvious when the two types are put side by side.

Eventhough declared obselete in 1942 because of lack of all wheel drive they still went on to have engine replacements in 1957/58 replacing the original Leyland engine with a Ford V8. Top speed with the ford engine was 45mph.

Note the rear hull and front end changed significantly after the refit of the ford V8 engine

Armament varied over the years comprisng of 20mm guns and either .303 machine guns or .30 Browning machine guns ( ex Aer Corps)
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  The sign in front of it says:

L E Y L A N D A R M O U R E D C A R.
                  Nice pictures, tanks for posting

Comment

Extra info

Hi guys,

Sorry, this is my first time posting here, I was trying to post the actual pics, not links...can anyone tell me how to, cos I have some other stuff from Bovington which might be of interest? Am uploading into Manage Attachments, but getting no further then that. I'm not very tecchie!

Comment

Sorry Mugs..the photo is that of a Landsverk and not a Leyland..just noticed the registration.....

Sorry..

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                        The sign in front of it says:

Nice pictures, tanks for posting
                        I did notice that when I went back... :redface:

Comment

The 4 Leyland Armoured Cars were made by transferring the hulls from the old Peerless Armoured Cars onto the Leyland Terrier chassis.

The Peerless twin turrets were replaced with the same turret as on the Landsverk L60 Tank.

The old Peerless turrets were later fitted to the Ford Mk V Armoured Cars.

The Leylands were used by the 1st Armoured Car Squadron.
                          Last edited by Border Bunny; 27 October 2009, 23:45.

Comment

If you look at the back of the Landsverk above and compare it to the 1st photo of the Leyland you'll notice that they're very different. The front of the Leyland was remodelled in '57 to look similar to the Landverk and probably ease heating problems that the original design appeared to suffer from (in some photos).

IAS

Comment

The Leylands were used by the 1st Armoured Car Squadron
                              read again my friend the leylands ended their service with 5th Motor in castler bar due to the fact the spares required to keep them running were comercialy available and they would not have been required to Return to the curragh For maintaince.

The did spend the war years with 1st Armoured car but transferred out soon afterward

In 1957/58 both types were refitted with Ford V8 engines so this would probably account for the increase in similarity after the conversions as with the rear decking of the AML 20 and AML 90

Would agree, as the front rdaiator grill and the side grills were increased substantially to reflect the Landsverk type.
                              Last edited by hptmurphy; 28 October 2009, 00:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X