No announcement yet.

Irish AFV at Bovington Tank Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The easiest way to tell the two Armoured Cars apart is the Landsverk is Left hand drive and the Leyland is Right hand drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
      The easiest way to tell the two Armoured Cars apart is the Landsverk is Left hand drive and the Leyland is Right hand drive.
      Was in one of them years ago and if I recall it had a second steering at the rear.?

Comment

Yes, but I was told that while in FCA service it was disconnected.
        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

On a slightly different curve, anybody know which vehicles had the 20mm cannon fitted courtesy of the Air Corps (ex Seafires).
          Tony K:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
            Was in one of them years ago and if I recall it had a second steering at the rear.?
            Yes the Landsverk had a rear driver who was allso the radio operater.
            The Leyland had no rear driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Kearns View Post
              On a slightly different curve, anybody know which vehicles had the 20mm cannon fitted courtesy of the Air Corps (ex Seafires).
              Tony K:confused:
              Im not sure about the Seafire cannons but some of the Landsverks had ex Vampire 20mm Hispano-Suiza cannons fitted replacing the Madsens.

Its fitted in the picture of the Landsverk that htpmurphy posted above.

Comment

Yer man must have been straddling it.They were long guns.He must have breathed in when they fired.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

The landsverk had the rear drivers positioned fitted and it was well removed from service by the time the FCA got their hands on them.

The Landsverks were fitted with the HS from the T55 vampire but proved trouble some as the rate of fire was far too high for a vehicle mounted weapon and the only way to reduce the rate of fire was to interefere with the recoil as the HS like the oerlikons rate of fire was dictated and governed by recoil.

The weapon became prone to jamming every couple of rounds and was not success full.It remains unclear why the Madsen was retained in the Leyland while replaced in the Lansverk eventhough it was obselete....which I suppose sums the whole thing up as both the cars and their weaposn were obselete by the time the conversion took place.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I think an Argentinian AML 90 captured in the Falklands is also on display at Bovington and the display board in front of it shows an Irish AML 90 in an urban setting! Must see if I can find the photos!

Comment

Sorry to be pedantic, but the 20mms were British-built Hispano, not Hispano-Suiza, which were aero engines or cars. Like the Oerlikon, they were built in American or British models and were not entirely interchangeable. The Spitfire / Seafire guns were also slightly different from the version in the Vampire.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Like the Oerlikon, they were built in American or British models and were not entirely interchangeable. The Spitfire / Seafire guns were also slightly different from the version in the Vampire.
                        hee hee don't get me started on the differences in Oerlikons..my favourite subject.

thanks for the clarification. Did some reading on the Hispano Guns which as it turns out were a simplified version of the Oerlikon which would be hard given it had 181 individual parts...used to know them all..as some others here would....
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Panhard 90

Papa 242 is spot on, see attached pics.

I'm still waiting for some helpful advice on posting pics here (rather then links), as there are lots of other interesting things at Bovington that people here might be interested to see!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting those photos Tempest! saves me digging out the hard drive!!
                            Must get out to Howth and get some photos of the Leyland there!
                            John

Comment

Hi there,
                              The Hispanos were also said to be better for fighters as they had a belt-feed mechanism that was less prone to feed failures under G loading. They were also more readily adaptable to belt-feeding from large ammunition containers than the Oerlikon.They even ended up in turret mounts in some bombers.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

side by side

here is a photo of both armoured cars side by side taking in the curragh 1941 the layland is right hand drive as posted by ( border bunny)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X