Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: ARW Video

  1. #1
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. #2
    Sergeant Major spaceghetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like
    They had a good streak of vids going until they made this.

    The music just completely ruined it.

    "Crisis, we'll come and get you?"

    Shur they didn't get that Irish red cross worker captured in Sudan did they? Although that's less to do with them and more to do with the politicians not letting them.

    The music in the vid makes them look like a bunch of posers, which i'm very sure their not.
    Last edited by spaceghetti; 9th December 2009 at 17:50.

  3. #3
    C/S dingo42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great footage,
    Bad music,
    Scary b*******

  4. #4
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    They had a good streak of vids going until they made this.

    The music just completely ruined it.

    "Crisis, we'll come and get you?"

    Shur they didn't get that Irish red cross worker captured in Sudan did they? Although that's less to do with them and more to do with the politicians not letting them.

    The music in the vid makes them look like a bunch of posers, which i'm very sure their not.
    Not being sent into Sudan had nothing to do with them at all.

    How does the music make them look like posers? It's shite music but how it makes them look like posers is quite beyond me?

  5. #5
    Sergeant Major spaceghetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    Not being sent into Sudan had nothing to do with them at all.

    How does the music make them look like posers? It's shite music but how it makes them look like posers is quite beyond me?
    Because it makes it look as if their just showing off, i don't know why but that kind of music just seems like the type that posers would use.

    Exactly, but it should have had something to do with them. If an Irish national is taken hostage and ransom is put out, you'd think they'd at least be ready to go in an retrieve them.

  6. #6
    C/S dingo42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    Exactly, but it should have had something to do with them. If an Irish national is taken hostage and ransom is put out, you'd think they'd at least be ready to go in an retrieve them.
    Darfur's a big place...

  7. #7
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    Because it makes it look as if their just showing off, i don't know why but that kind of music just seems like the type that posers would use.

    Exactly, but it should have had something to do with them. If an Irish national is taken hostage and ransom is put out, you'd think they'd at least be ready to go in an retrieve them.
    It's music. How you can deduct that they look like posers in a video where they're making explosive breaches, banging rounds out of a Mk19, serving over in Chad etc. is rather odd.

    What makes you think they weren't ready to go and retrieve them? Just like the rest of the DF, they go where they're told to go.

  8. #8
    Sergeant Major spaceghetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo42 View Post
    Darfur's a big place...
    So is Iraq. That didn't stop them from at least preparing to rescue that Irish journalist in 2005.

  9. #9
    C/S dingo42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    So is Iraq. That didn't stop them from at least preparing to rescue that Irish journalist in 2005.
    But they knew where that hostage was being kept AFAIK.

  10. #10
    Sergeant Major spaceghetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    It's music. How you can deduct that they look like posers in a video where they're making explosive breaches, banging rounds out of a Mk19, serving over in Chad etc. is rather odd.

    What makes you think they weren't ready to go and retrieve them? Just like the rest of the DF, they go where they're told to go.
    Music has everything to do with it. Which is why they give out academy awards for it in movies. If they were playing YMCA in the background would that have any effect on the atmosphere of the vid in your eyes? (or ears)



    I thought there was a statement saying that the Irish government would make no move to interfere with the situation beyond negotiation?

    If they actually did, then never mind.

    EDIT: By the way i'm not saying the Wing aren't willing to go on these kinds of Ops, i'm just outlining the governments hesitation to use them.
    Last edited by spaceghetti; 9th December 2009 at 18:57.

  11. #11
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    Music has everything to do with it. Which is why they give out academy awards for it in movies. If they were playing YMCA in the background would that have any effect on the atmosphere of the vid in your eyes? (or ears)



    I thought there was a statement saying that the Irish government would make no move to interfere with the situation beyond negotiation?

    If they actually did, then never mind.
    Oh I didn't realise the lads were looking for an Academy Awards nomination. It's a simple video showing some of the training the Wing do. The video is half a minute long, what exactly were you expecting music wise?

    I don't know if they did but neither do you. So no point jumping to conclusions.

  12. #12
    Sergeant Major spaceghetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    Oh I didn't realise the lads were looking for an Academy Awards nomination. It's a simple video showing some of the training the Wing do. The video is half a minute long, what exactly were you expecting music wise?

    I don't know if they did but neither do you. So no point jumping to conclusions.
    Well i guarantee you that if the music was different the video would seem a lot better.

    I didn't say their looking for an academy award, i'm just on about the importance of music in a video.

  13. #13
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    Well i guarantee you that if the music was different the video would seem a lot better.

    I didn't say their looking for an academy award, i'm just on about the importance of music in a video.
    The video runs for 33 seconds... The music really isn't a big issue for a small video like that.

  14. #14
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice vid DFPO well done!

  15. #15
    Moderated
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know the name of that weapon at 0:14 ?

    Also the rifle at 0:21 being firied from the helicopter?
    Looks like a SR-25.

  16. #16
    Gunner concussion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Under green and brown..lurking
    Posts
    1,837
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want one of those line-throwers for getting into my apartment on a Saturday night
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

  17. #17
    Teuton Foot Soldier ZULU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Real Republic
    Posts
    6,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grappel Launch looks like Cobh Deepwater berth with Whitgate and Davis in background?
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

  18. #18
    Teuton Foot Soldier ZULU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Real Republic
    Posts
    6,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Border Bunny View Post
    Anyone know the name of that weapon at 0:14 ?

    .
    ALM Line thrower.

    http://www.vertical.com.au/documents/BrochureALM.pdf

    Company Product Info

    http://www.resqmax.com/products.php
    Last edited by ZULU; 10th December 2009 at 02:28.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

  19. #19
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also the rifle at 0:21 being firied from the helicopter?
    Looks like a SR-25.
    HK417.Before ye all start.YES they DO have em along with the 416.Specialist roles only.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  20. #20
    Lieutenant Muzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isnt the 417 the spotter weapon for the sniper team when they compete internationally, ARW or not?

  21. #21
    Lt Colonel Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart in Donegal
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    the vid could have had a bit more footage IMO, and the music could have been better. i do get whats been said about "poser" music. music could have even been excluded i reckon, any song is gona sound worse than a locka rounds going off or a door getting blown through
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

    In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

    You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

  22. #22
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzle View Post
    Isnt the 417 the spotter weapon for the sniper team when they compete internationally, ARW or not?
    I was told that before by a mate in the sniper community.Have yet to see it though myself.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  23. #23
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done... pity it wasn't longer ( could be just a reflection, but is one of them wearing white trainers? (0.17 - 0.18 secs) )

  24. #24
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    641
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Micman View Post
    Nicely done... pity it wasn't longer ( could be just a reflection, but is one of them wearing white trainers? (0.17 - 0.18 secs) )
    Designated runner

  25. #25
    Lt Colonel Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart in Donegal
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    trainers or no trainers, you wouldnt exactly laugh at him would you? or indeed point that out to him? :D
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

    In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

    You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •