No announcement yet.

ford mk 6 armoured car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armoured cars never made it to Jadotville , were in the relief column, but a couple were left behind when the Irish contribution to the UN mission finished.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Two were lost in action but later recaptured.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Armoured cars never made it to Jadotville , were in the relief column, but a couple were left behind when the Irish contribution to the UN mission finished.
        Post 17 has the list of 6 that were handed over to the Congelese Army.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Ford Armoured Cars

Border, Thanks for the info,I had read in Michael Whelans book that attacks on Jadotville had been repulsed by inter alia fire from armoured cars but the book never specified the type concerned or whether they were spiked to prevent use by the hostiles after the defeat of the Company.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            There were two armoured cars in Jado as part of the cav group attached to A Coy under Lt. Kevin Knightly. Their presence is mentioned on page 74, page 43, p18, p5 of heroes of Jadotville and other pages too! I am attaching a picture from book which is a Ford Armoured car. They were very involved in the battle!
            Attached Files

Comment

Ford Armoured Cars

By all accounts tha Fords performed very well at Jadotville as mobile mg platforms including damaging a Fouga jet that hitherto had been bombing the Company with impunity.Is this the first successful AA defence on record for the PDF if so the Cav were first to do so.

Comment

Hi there,
                The Fouga pilot, the late Jean Zumbach, said that he had been hit by small-arms fire as part of a vigorous response but it was repaired before each flight.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

I apologise, Two armoured cars were indeed deployed, I knew it and overlooked it just was focusing on those in the relief column that never made it.

To make matters worse I then go referencing Mick Whelans book in the pages mention to read again its Rose Doyles book the reference is made to.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi

The following link to the Curragh History site shows Irish troops in the Congo and has some good quality photographs of the Ford Armoured Cars.

http://www.curragh.info/New_Folder/congo.htm

All the best

Fianoglach
                    Glaine ár gcroí
                    Neart ár ngéag
                    Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

Glaine ár gcroí
                      Neart ár ngéag
                      Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

were the mark 6 used on border patrols in the late 60s early 70s

Comment

The Ford mk 6 was recovered a fue years ago by a group of military history enthusiast from the field in Wales and its restoration is almost complate and the car should be on show this year. The car originally belonged to the Grange Cavern museum in wales. Check out the web page for more info. http://www.waryearsremembered.co.uk/...Life.htm29.htm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tyronesteve View Post
                            were the mark 6 used on border patrols in the late 60s early 70s
                            I believe, and stand open to correction, that they were with F.C.A. (Reserve) Cavalry Units by then.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                              I believe, and stand open to correction, that they were with F.C.A. (Reserve) Cavalry Units by then.

Connaught Stranger.
                              I thought that was the Landsverks.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi there,
                                Im not sure what book it was but it referred to the Congo operation and one man was quoted as saying how intimidated they were by the enemy M8 Greyhounds, which sported a 37mm main gun, which was blamed for knocking out the two Irish cars. Sad state of affairs when a 1962 army is intimidated by pre-WW II low-calibre guns. Apparently, the Fords were not armour-plated, merely made of mild steel, so about as safe to hide behind as a saucepan.Makes you shake your head in wonder at the pillocks who sent them out in the first place.
                                regards
                                GttC

Comment

Working...
                                X