East Timor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Timor

Could any board members who were part of or in the know about the East Timor mission please enlighten me, I understand that it was a peace enforcement mission like Chad and all that goes with that sort of job, but I'm curious as to why any images of the DF on the ground look more like they are fighting a war than keeping the peace in contrast to the lads in Chad. What exactly were the troops tasked to do that required camo'd faces and stealthy patrols? I appreciate that this probably borders on OPSEC but any info would be great.

Thanks Kermit I was aware of that going by the official site, however the site also mentions platoons from various inf BNs going out too, now I'm the first to say I'm no expert but was that not unusual given the way most groups are formed?

Comment

There was two operations working under very different mandates and RoEs. INTERFET and UNTAET.
      One was sneaky beaky in your face, the other was hearts and minds.. in your face.
      Look up INTERFET and UNTAET
      Also, UNSC Resolution 1264.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks GF, had a look at 1264 clears up a lot, anyone have any stories from serving there?

Comment

Its still restricted and will be until 2019
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            Its still restricted and will be until 2019
            well then dont forget any good tales HH, I'll pm you January 1st 2019, be sure you are available for comment

Comment

The type of unit deployed in East Timor was a recce platoon, first done by our friends with the blacked out faces then allocated to infantry units. AFAIK they had two levels of mission Green and Blue. The Green was more agressive patrols ambushes etc. the Blue was fly the UN flag type. There was an article in An Cosaintoir a number of years ago that explained it all, maybe you can find it in their archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                AFAIK they had two levels of mission Green and Blue. The Green was more agressive patrols ambushes etc
                Ambushes, Sounds f*ckin class never thought our lads were ever doing that sort of stuff, shows my ignorance
                Last edited by CS Gass; 4 February 2010, 00:54.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                  Thanks GF, had a look at 1264 clears up a lot, anyone have any stories from serving there?
                  While having a few beers during xmas pub gathering, there was one who said his friends advice of carrying a big **** off stick in the jungle helped. A lot!
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Can remember that Apod's boys and then Hedgie's boys followed the
                    "sneaky beaky" lads out, in that order, AFAIR
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Could any board members who were part of or in the know about the East Timor mission please enlighten me, I understand that it was a peace enforcement mission like Chad and all that goes with that sort of job, but I'm curious as to why any images of the DF on the ground look more like they are fighting a war than keeping the peace in contrast to the lads in Chad. What exactly were the troops tasked to do that required camo'd faces and stealthy patrols? I appreciate that this probably borders on OPSEC but any info would be great.
                      Practically all that is in the public domain was that they set up OPs on the border to prevent infliltration.

Thanks Kermit I was aware of that going by the official site, however the site also mentions platoons from various inf BNs going out too, now I'm the first to say I'm no expert but was that not unusual given the way most groups are formed?
                      At the time it was.... lead unit concept, not really any more (apart from the size of the contingent).

Comment

2 Bn went in after the Wing- then when all was safe and finished

the rest followed

Comment

It's unusual and a pity that the Govt. are so secretive about what went on during a UN sanctioned mission, in most countries any stories of the good guys giving the bad guys the good news are released

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            2 Bn went in after the Wing- then when all was safe and finished

the rest followed
                            Oh ho.... can' t wait to see what the reply from the S Bde is to that....
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              Oh ho.... can' t wait to see what the reply from the S Bde is to that....
                              When them lads get out of bed ( about 1545 in time for Maura and Shena)

they will reply

Comment

Working...
                              X