No announcement yet.

East Timor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight all ye like about what Bn from what brigade went out there.

Some of the first out there both with the wing and with the regular gravel agitators were Navy guys.. the medic who featured on the An Post Stamp..Navy...heH..all the soldiering shite and the NS beat you to it.. the irony.

Don't even think about the come back...same in Liberia..when the army was looking for their boots under the bed..NS were tied up along side with the ARW in tow..
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hedgie,as usual, is looking for a bite.
      Not getting one.Small point to note though for those of ye who have never taken over a camp,portlaoise or even a small toilet from our Echo hotel friends.It normally takes six months just to rectify the "good work" they have done.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
        Not getting one.Small point to note though for those of ye who have never taken over a camp,portlaoise or even a small toilet from our Echo hotel friends.It normally takes six months just to rectify the "good work" they have done.
        sad but true

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
          As for your latter comment, what was Havoc's signature ?

Something along the lines of:

"Everyone else takes holidays, 2 Inf Bn take everything.... !

Correction:

It's

"Vikings don't take holidays, they take everything..."

Have to say, that's funny, on a par with "Murderbatt"
          (well OK, maybe that's a bit on the tasteless side....)
          Last edited by Truck Driver; 5 February 2010, 17:10.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            Have you only just realised that your UNits place in life is to clean the tiolets after us-

My God man- I thought you knew this ages ago-

and I will say it again

2 Bn were the first Unit in Timor after the stublly boys with tight t shirts
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Have you only just realised that your UNits place in life is to clean the tiolets after us-

and I will say it again

I believe it was a reward for winning the Pln in Attack Comp.

I have no idea how empty heads won the pln in attack comp??
              Last edited by Craghopper; 5 February 2010, 12:09.

Comment

LMFAO

and I will say it again

No one EVER said they werent.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                  I believe it was a reward for winning the Pln in Attack Comp.

I have no idea how empty heads won the pln in attack comp??
                  I heard 2nd BN was chosen to fulfill operation human shield

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                    Thanks GF, had a look at 1264 clears up a lot, anyone have any stories from serving there?
                    Was only talking about this, to a friend of mine who went out as a medic, this morning. He was telling me about the sinking feeling he got when he arrived, was allowed a couple of minutes to drop his bags in his accommodation, only to be handed a Steyr and 10 full magazines and told that this was what he would be required to carry on the long range patrols. He knew then that it would not be the usual overseas trip for the medics.

I know he visits IMO so maybe he will give us a few more tales
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Zombie thread alert!

Just found this on YouTube, might be of interest to anyone who went there.

The old Digger still has a trace of his Irish accent

This extraordinary untold tale of two companies of Australian soldiers serving in East Timor, separated by 60 years, their actions inextricably bound by a de...
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

An excellent and very compelling documentary there. Have to admit I know little about the history of East Timor, and had not realised the Australian connection in WW2.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Comment

2 Inf in East Timor

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              Its still restricted and will be until 2019
                              2019 has been and gone, spill the beans
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                              X