Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Entry?

Hi folks
    im starting electrical services engineering in september and i was wondering if its possible to go for direct entry with it when im finished.
    any info would be greatfully apreciated.

The DF are trying to reduce their dependence on DE officers by putting more graduates through cadetships.

But from time to time the may be a requirement, if it is advertised it is probably possible (depending on the degree).

See here:
    Defence Forces personnel lead a "Life less Ordinary". All aspects of military life are varied and for each member of the Force each day may bring a new challenge.

Defence Forces personnel lead a "Life less Ordinary". All aspects of military life are varied and for each member of the Force each day may bring a new challenge.

Comment

its a proper degree alright and is accredited by iei. i was planning on doing the extra year aswell which gives a level 8 in electrical services engineering and energy management. so is it only when its advertised that you can apply for direct entry?

Comment

I believe there is 18 engineers in this years class maybe wrong but there is more than would account for natural wastage in the corps. If you want to join do the cadetship and you will then have to take a number and wait.

Comment

Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
          so is it only when its advertised that you can apply for direct entry?
          Yes

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
            You need a level 8 for Direct Entry. The IEI reduced their entry requirements for MIEI to level 7, but the Army had sense.
            They're increasing the requirements for chartership to level 9 from 2013 though.

Comment

Would a honours degree in computing qualify for direct entry?

Comment

Maybe. But as been said before, the amount of graduates going for cadetships is on the increase, some with PhDs even.

Direct entry would be for an urgent need like medical doctor or Aeronautical engineer I'd say
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                  Aeronautical engineer
                  Wishful thinking much?

Comment

Graduated MEch eng actually. Thinking more of the last advertised direct entry position I saw. One technical officer in aeronatical engineering for AC.
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Connolly View Post
                      Would a honours degree in computing qualify for direct entry?
                      I've never come across a DE CIS competition

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                      One technical officer in aeronatical engineering for AC.
                      Really?

In the main DE officers would be in the following areas:

Engineering (more 100% sure but civil, electronic, electrical etc)

Marine Engineering

Medicine

Comment

Has there ever been direct entry commissions into the RDF outside of the medical corps? If not, what would have to change to allow it?

Comment

It is allowed for in the Defence Act and R5. Never heard of it being used though

Comment

I know 2 people that were DE entries into the CoE - this happened in the last 5 years, so its definitely still being used.
                            I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

What about for infantry? Is there a precedent?

Comment

Working...
                              X