No announcement yet.

New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps a red dot optic with the option of a multiplier is the way to go . this would provide the best of both world's , red dot for close contact / urban or snap shot , multiplier for longer range / open terrain .

Comment

• I'd say that in the current climate the Styer AUG is here to stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
        I'd say that in the current climate the Styer AUG is here to stay.
        Yes but not as we know it today

Comment

• Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
          I'd say that in the current climate the Styer AUG is here to stay.
          There's not much better out there, its still one of the best rifles ever designed.

Comment

• I think Whinge Not has rasied sone very valid points in relation to the tender re upgrades. I attach hereunder an abstract from The Firearms Blog1.
            18Dwrote on January 11th, 2012 at 5:34 am Link To Comment | Reply To Comment
            The fixed power 4x optic is starting to fall by the wayside IMO. As a consultant for the SOPMOD program I can tell you that the search for more versatile optics is on the way and fixed 4x is not in the current requirements. As a matter of fact, the ACOG has been removed from the latest iteration of the SOPMOD kit. Operators are quickly finding out that a 4x optic severely limits your capabilities.
            I’ve never understood the mass issuing of the ACOG. For shooters with very specific duties it can be a good option, but for a general purpose optic (which is what it’s used for these days) it limits the shooter. Understand, that 4x isn’t a lot of magnification, so making Target ID’s and precision shooting at long range isn’t really the 4x optics strong suite. Neither is CQB a strong suite of the 4x. For a general purpose assault rifle, a 0x RDS is a much better choice. With a 5.56 M4A1 a good shooter can easily make hits out to 500m yet he is still setup for CQB and close in targets. Close range should be the soldiers priority unless he is a SDM or a sniper. Even the SDM should look at close range fighting as his priority.
            What it really comes down to is training! The military needs to start making shooting a priority. Weapons manipulation/shooting skills and tactics need to be looked at as 2 different categories of training

Anyway the question could be asked why spend so much money on sights on a 5.56 RIFLE when the current 1.5x sight is adequate out to 300m. After 300m then the ballistics of the 5.56 have proven time and time again that thay are not the most appropriate. One of the arguements for the 5.56 introduction in the firdt place was that contacts occur often less than 100-200 Yds?
            Yes having another LMG ( even if it is 5.56) or even a 66m LAW ( the old type) or an RPG and a few additional refurbished FNs ( If only) would be a wiser investment . Perhaps even better med kits and training might even be a better use of funds. As regards Rifle grenades they probably are past their sell by date but several western armies still use them and they are very common in "third world type" outfits.

Comment

• What are these pull-through's for? Impossible to use on the steyr as you'd have to coax it down the barrel.
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by almaza View Post
                They are still civvies.
                Everyone is a citizen first.

Comment

• i have one of those pull throughs..
                  the df got a lot of them a few years back.. they are good but do have to be coaxed through the barrel first so not ideal for been on an op but grand when back in bks and cleanin your rifle they also came with the attachment to clean the barrel(not sure of proper name) it looked like a mini mop head-very good at its job

Comment

• Australia seems to be upgrading their F88 as well - or it seems to be more of a newly built F88

Like the GL trigger inside the trigger guard. The bolt release is also a good idea now I think about it.

Many of you following the blog will know I’ve been keeping close tabs on the Thales Australia EF88 assault rifle, being developed under the Land 125 Phase 3C program. I have written a review …
                    Last edited by Docman; 7 November 2012, 18:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docman View Post
                      Australia seems to be upgrading their F88 as well - or it seems to be more of a newly built F88

Like the GL trigger inside the trigger guard. The bolt release is also a good idea now I think about it.

http://rogueadventurer.com/2012/11/0...nade-launcher/
                      Nice, makes sense.
                      Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                      Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

• The bolt release is also a good idea now I think about it.
                        Why?
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Why?
                          You are firing the weapon, magazine goes empty, the bolt release is just above your fingers. Saves you having to re-cock the weapon. Think how handy it would be in a rapid practice on the range if you mis counted your rounds!

Comment

• I'd like to hear Apod's opinion on it before making a comment, but you aren't really recocking as an empty mag leaves the action to the rear anyway.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I'd like to hear Apod's opinion on it before making a comment, but you aren't really recocking as an empty mag leaves the action to the rear anyway.
                              I do know how the weapon works - you are still having to pull the cocking handle to the rear fully and release it - re-cock it, something a bolt release catch would negate.
                              Last edited by Docman; 7 November 2012, 23:19.

Comment

• I'm glad you pointed out you know how the weapon works.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X