No announcement yet.

New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dunno lads.I think using a bolt release button like the one shown would probably speed up reloads,but it may also have disadvantages.The lever/button shown is unshrouded. Could pressing it against yourself(CBA,CEFO etc) cause a problem at a crucial time?I am unsure.Someone who has used an A3 might be better informed and better placed to comment.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docman View Post
      The bolt release is also a good idea now I think about it.
      The Wings A3's have a bolt release.

Comment

• We also have a bolt release on the C7-C8 FoW, but we teach troops not to use it. I don't know about your Steyr A3, but on our rifles it is a small button on the side of the weapon.
        Using the bolt release is a fine motor skill, while using the cocking handle is a gross motor skill; we prefer the gross, and it means one less movement for your muscle memory to learn.
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
          We also have a bolt release on the C7-C8 FoW, but we teach troops not to use it. I don't know about your Steyr A3, but on our rifles it is a small button on the side of the weapon.
          Using the bolt release is a fine motor skill, while using the cocking handle is a gross motor skill; we prefer the gross, and it means one less movement for your muscle memory to learn.
          Steyr AUG A3 with external bolt release on left side off butt group above magazine release catch.

Attached Files

Comment

• Where the bolt release is positioned on the A3 would certainly be handy as you replace the fresh mag with left hand but how much time would it really save you?

Apod made good point about it banging off webbing, CBA, etc. if wearing gloves how sensitive would it be?

With cocking handle to rear for empty mag its a natural hand movement to continue with...mag in, hook cocking handle and release, hand forward to pistol grip.
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• How flush is that release? It looks like it could go a long way towards addressing Apod's concerns
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Obviously someone on the testing and design side saw advantages to it and decided to encorporate it.

It has value, but is it practical?

What pressure does it take to activate it?

Its a bit like the USP and the action on that until all the mysteries were laid bare , no one was quite sure what the complications would be.

If the wing has it on their weapons, they must have some feedback and would they consider it suitable for general use.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                  Steyr AUG A3 with external bolt release on left side off butt group above magazine release catch.

The magazine release on the Steyr is placed in a way that is inaccessible without moving one hand; again on the C7/C8, the mag release can be activated by extending the trigger finger without moving the strong hand from the pistol grip. The mag is gravity pulled, and the other hand simultaneously grabs another mag from a pouch and inserts it in the mag well. A quick pull of the cocking handle and you are back to double-tapping in no time... these drills save fractions of seconds, sometimes enough to save lives in close quarters engagements.

These are some reasons why the Brit and NZ SAS, Aus SASR, Norw SF and many others prefer the M-16 / C7 based weapons over others. The AUG is an excellent rifle for Infantry use, but is not ideal for SOF.
                  "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• It CAN be operated with one hand leaving the firing hand on the pistol grip and the weapon in the shoulder at all times... Its not taught per se to my knowledge, but I know how to do it and Ive shown others how to do it.

Left hand drops to mag pouch, comes up and using fresh mag taps the release catch - gravity causes the spent mag to drop out and you rotate and slot the fresh mag into the rifle.

This can be done quickly with practice. Ive used it on the range and in competitions.

The left hand then cocks the weapon and you continue firing. someone posted vids of the quick mag change on the steyr online here before somewhere and it is extremely fast compared to the standard method.
                    Last edited by morpheus; 8 November 2012, 16:37.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Yes, I am aware of the drill you described; however you are still making two more movements with your left hand (hitting the mag release and rotating the mag) instead of housing the mag directly.
                      I don't want to be picky, but shaving fractions of seconds on drills saves lives in close quarters situations.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                        The magazine release on the Steyr is placed in a way that is inaccessible without moving one hand; again on the C7/C8, the mag release can be activated by extending the trigger finger without moving the strong hand from the pistol grip. The mag is gravity pulled, and the other hand simultaneously grabs another mag from a pouch and inserts it in the mag well. A quick pull of the cocking handle and you are back to double-tapping in no time... these drills save fractions of seconds, sometimes enough to save lives in close quarters engagements.

These are some reasons why the Brit and NZ SAS, Aus SASR, Norw SF and many others prefer the M-16 / C7 based weapons over others. The AUG is an excellent rifle for Infantry use, but is not ideal for SOF.
                        The hand does not move from the pistol grip when changing a magazine on the Steyr.
                        With the AR15 design rifles the shooters face has to be moved from the butt in order to cock the rifle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                          The hand does not move from the pistol grip when changing a magazine on the Steyr.
                          I know; I am talking about the "weak" hand. The reload drill explained by morpheus will shave time off the "regular" reload, but it will not be as quick as reloading a C7/C8. On the Steyr, one hand does all the movements, on the C7/C8 both hands work simultaneously, with the strong hand never leaving the pistol grip either.

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                          With the AR15 design rifles the shooters face has to be moved from the butt in order to cock the rifle.
                          Yes, but it does not matter; when doing any weapon handling drills, the shooter should be looking over the sights to keep better SA. Looking through the scope continuously will give the shooter tunnel vision.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Does the C7 have the same direct impingement gas system as the M4? If so i will take the AUG over it any day.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Does the C7 have the same direct impingement gas system as the M4?
                              Yes it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                                Does the C7 have the same direct impingement gas system as the M4? If so i will take the AUG over it any day.
                                Yes, it does, and it is not causing any problems. I fired thousands of rounds through my C8 (carbine version of C7) just last year in Afg with minimal maintenance and without a single stoppage.

As I said, the Steyr is a very good Infantry rifle, but it is not well suited for SOF; that is why a large number of SF units in the world use the M-16 FoW. Very few SOF use the Steyr.

Guys, don't take this personally, I'm just discussing guns here; someone mentioned that your ARW is using the Steyr, I just find it slightly odd.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X