Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NS has detailed plans about what it wants.... I would say the issue is Government funding and approval.... and lack of personnel

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
      Past time we have such events like this, hopefully it will become a regular thing.
      I'm at the event and the only disappointing aspect is the almost complete absence of politicians. Paul Kehoe opened it yesterday and Ged Nash was a very informed contributor on the Air Defence panel - but I've seen nobody else. I assume Gerry Craughwell is around but I haven't seen him.

It has been a very well run, very informative event but I fear it's a case of preaching to the converted.

The most remarkable aspect is that it has been run entirely by volunteers. Gerry Waldron has done an amazing job pulling this together.
      “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
      ― Thucydides

Comment

• Does Gerry need to campaign to keep his seanad seat or was he one of the nominates?
        It does strike me as being a tad echo chamberish. Like here, we all have good ideas( though they are actual experts in the field) but without official engagement and acceptance of the problems, we will be back next year telling the same stories.
        One wonders if there would be more official government attendance on any other occasion, other than when all parties are trying to form a government.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          Does Gerry need to campaign to keep his seanad seat or was he one of the nominates?
          It does strike me as being a tad echo chamberish. Like here, we all have good ideas( though they are actual experts in the field) but without official engagement and acceptance of the problems, we will be back next year telling the same stories.
          One wonders if there would be more official government attendance on any other occasion, other than when all parties are trying to form a government.
          True enough, though at least it's had some degree of coverage in the papers, rather than just being totally ignored.

Comment

• RTE are ignoring it though.

Comment

RTE are ignoring it though.
              Course they are, I mean how low down the chain was the report on the Mali incident or did it even make the 6o clock yesterday?

Comment

Course they are, I mean how low down the chain was the report on the Mali incident or did it even make the 6o clock yesterday?
                Never heard it on RTE. Three injured near GAO in Mali , while on patrol in a German made vehicle with Irish " Markings ", after an IED incident on 25th February some 2 days ago now. Looks like we have to borrow stuff.!!

Comment

• I believe the Irish element of the Mali operation (MINUSMA) is so small(14) it does not justify the logistics of us bringing our own vehicles, it's easier to use vehicles provided by the lead unit. In this case Germany.
                  In East Timor we did the same with aussie vehicles.

Comment

I believe the Irish element of the Mali operation (MINUSMA) is so small(14) it does not justify the logistics of us bringing our own vehicles, it's easier to use vehicles provided by the lead unit. In this case Germany.
                    In East Timor we did the same with aussie vehicles.
                    Also given that it's the Rangers, I'm not sure we want to see how a F150 handles an IED explosion.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Never heard it on RTE. Three injured near GAO in Mali , while on patrol in a German made vehicle with Irish " Markings ", after an IED incident on 25th February some 2 days ago now. Looks like we have to borrow stuff.!!
                      The ARW is a very small element of a larger German unit it wouldn’t make sense to bring their own vehicles, spares, mechanics etc

Comment

• The COS as we know attended at a presentation given by the Norwegian's on their new Logs ship HMNoS MAUD. It is looking at the market and the built in capabilities for such ships. This is a Korean built ship and she sailed from there at the beginning of February and is currently in the Nordic area at 60deg N and about 5.25 deg.East.
                        Hopefully we will build a bit closer to home and no further that the EU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          The COS as we know attended at a presentation given by the Norwegian's on their new Logs ship HMNoS MAUD. It is looking at the market and the built in capabilities for such ships. This is a Korean built ship and she sailed from there at the beginning of February and is currently in the Nordic area at 60deg N and about 5.25 deg.East.
                          Hopefully we will build a bit closer to home and no further that the EU.
                          Can be seen either way, the Korean Yards are probably the cheapest Western Yards going at the moment and have provided the Norwegians, British and NZ navies with AOR's however I think each have had "issues" on delivery.

Comment

• Babcock were at the conference earlier this week showing tenders of their Arrowhead MRV proposal. Did anyone get a look?

Comment

Can be seen either way, the Korean Yards are probably the cheapest Western Yards going at the moment and have provided the Norwegians, British and NZ navies with AOR's however I think each have had "issues" on delivery.
                              The RNZN AOR is not yet delivered and is nearing completion of its final acceptance trials and is expected home mid year with the RADM satisfied with progress. It is a Rolls Royce Enviroship design built at the Hyundai (HHI) superyard in Ulsan costing EUR285m where as the Tide Class and Maud are BMT Aegir 18R designs built at Daewoo (DSME) are cheaper ships costing around EUR165m. The RNZN seem happy with what they are getting and where they are getting it from Hyundai (a repeat AOR customer) in the capability and quality sense.

Comment

• While we have all been distracted by some other issues it seems the VARD mob have been busy with several new designs:

The VARD 7-312 is a 125m Logistic Supply vessel for projection and support of forces, amphibious operations and control, support of maritime special ops, and humanitarian assistance. It has amphibious/well deck capabilities and can accommodate up to 250 troops.
                                https://vardmarine.com/gallery/vard-7-312/
                                Not one for us as it seems to be aimed at Chile to replace their existing ship.

The next interesting one is the VARD 7-078 is a Multi-Purpose Offshore Patrol Vessel with an operationally flexible platform that is capable of a full range of naval missions. The flexible mission bay can accommodate up to three 12m boats and up to four standard ISO containers.
                                https://vardmarine.com/gallery/vard-7-078/
                                Not sure at whom it is aimed; could be the Philippines who are running a selection for this size at the moment although they seem to favor a design from Austal. Maybe it could be a replacement for the CPVs as the 4 TEU positions would allow to carry a modular MCM kit with an 11m ASV. As for the heli deck that would be useful but the hanger shown in the video is too small for anything other than a UAV.

Comment

Working...
                                X