Thanks Thanks:  814
Likes Likes:  1,661
Dislikes Dislikes:  43
Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2581
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    A downsized member of the Elida family could fit a multitude of future roles.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

2. Likes Graylion liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    A downsized member of the Elida family could fit a multitude of future roles.
    Given what the baseline is set up to do, how much capability would have to be reduced for downsizing?

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Vard have a smaller ship with similar capability

Attachment 8697

https://vardmarine.com/gallery/vard-7-510/

It's an LST - but just do not order the bow ramp

5. Dislikes na grohmiti disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post

Attachment 8697

100m is not what the RFT specified. 120-130m is what the NS has set out as its required length.

To get true capability the longer the vessel the better.

7. Thanks na grohmiti, DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 8697

If you were buying a bungalow, would you order a 2 story house and just tell them to not bother with the ground floor? If you buy a motorbike, do you buy a car and tell then not to bother with the 2 of the wheels.
    The bow ramp is a major feature of the design. To "not order" one, would involve a total redesign of the hull, tank test, stiffeners, keel etc.

9. Likes Sparky42, Turkey liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you were buying a bungalow, would you order a 2 story house and just tell them to not bother with the ground floor? If you buy a motorbike, do you buy a car and tell then not to bother with the 2 of the wheels.
    The bow ramp is a major feature of the design. To "not order" one, would involve a total redesign of the hull, tank test, stiffeners, keel etc.
    There is also a stern ramp, however this ship would need a calm AOP , it has a designed draft of 3.8m, what would it be fully discharged ?

11. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 8697

The design is more targeted towards the Polish need for a new LST rather than our MRV. But even as an LST there are a few points missing for beaching such as protection for the propellers and an aft anchor for de-beaching.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of the late use of the RN Sir class. They served as LSLs even though they originally were LSTs.

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of the late use of the RN Sir class. They served as LSLs even though they originally were LSTs.
    Sir Lancelot and Sir Tristram, plus three others, were of the Round Table Class and could carry 12 Challenger tanks but as you say were logistics capable and could carry many trucks, recce vehicles, and containers, and transport 420 troops. Dimensionally they would suit our available facilities on their 18.6 meter beam. Their successor The Bay Class are beyond our White paper proposals. I don't believe we should go into beach operations but stay within a multi role capability on a budget of Euro 130m +/-.

15. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Graylion, Turkey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember being on both of those in 92 (one out, the other back), and they carried out entire Field Ambulance (very vehicle-heavy, 60+ from memory) with lots of room to spare. The way back they also had lots of 432's being repatriated from Germany.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 23rd October 2019 at 21:15.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

17. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    That isn't what we are looking for.
    Patrol first. Ass and Trash second.

19. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42 liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I remember being on both of those in 92 (one out, the other back), and they carried out entire Field Ambulance (very vehicle-heavy, 60+ from memory) with lots of room to spare. The way back they also had lots of 432's being repatriated from Germany.
    These LSL's had quite a reputation for bad seakeeping qualities. They were constructed for beaching and had, a shallow draft of about 3.5 meters, and were flat bottomed to lift their planned deadweight. Beaching ships generally are designed to go from embarcation Point to Landing point and do their business. If they are generally tasked for Fleet use then continuous rolling is an additional hazard to their operations as a logistics and manpower transporter.

21. Thanks Shaqra, na grohmiti, Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    These LSL's had quite a reputation for bad seakeeping qualities. They were constructed for beaching and had, a shallow draft of about 3.5 meters, and were flat bottomed to lift their planned deadweight. Beaching ships generally are designed to go from embarcation Point to Landing point and do their business. If they are generally tasked for Fleet use then continuous rolling is an additional hazard to their operations as a logistics and manpower transporter.
    I can vouch for them being bloody rough! On our return journey, we set off from Emnden into a rough sea (memory is force 6). After a very uncomfortable night, we awoke to find we were still hove to about six miles off Emnden!
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

23. Thanks Graylion, Rocinante thanked for this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I can vouch for them being bloody rough! On our return journey, we set off from Emnden into a rough sea (memory is force 6). After a very uncomfortable night, we awoke to find we were still hove to about six miles off Emnden!
    I can well understand a bad night with no respite next day. We have been preoccupied for years to have ships that can function normally for boarding up to force 5/6, and other duties up Force 8/9, and going into a survivable mode in force 9 and above by heaving to , or running down wind in a decreasing 9 for shelter harbour. The CMS's were a particular problem and needed to be minded to maintain hull sacrificial planking. We must make sure that our future MRV can operate in WNA weather with some ease.

25. Thanks na grohmiti, Turkey, Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, Flamingo liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like

27. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    It impresses as a vessel with a robust seakeeping configuration but would have to be a more all rounder, with some emphasis on HADR as well as fleet support and logistics, to meet our MRV aspirations.

29. Likes Graylion liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until the rest of the fleet is capable of taking stores via NATO RAS cranes, much of its functionality is redundant.
    A fine solid looking ship though. I am a big fan of enclosed fore deck spaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Until the rest of the fleet is capable of taking stores via NATO RAS cranes, much of its functionality is redundant.
    Cost and VFM wise I tend to agree but it doesn’t necessarily have to resupplying (Irish) NS vessels

But we know what would happen in Newbridge plus the Dail (and now MEP) lefties

32. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, we could theoretically operate with a multi national force as a support ship, but outside of those operations, you need to practice this very complicated RAS operation regularly and for real, with suitably equipped receiver vessels. Hoping for a transit through Irish waters with a suitably equipped foreign naval vessel would not be a good use of asset.

34. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, we could theoretically operate with a multi national force as a support ship, but outside of those operations, you need to practice this very complicated RAS operation regularly and for real, with suitably equipped receiver vessels. Hoping for a transit through Irish waters with a suitably equipped foreign naval vessel would not be a good use of asset.
    There is no technical reason why all of our ships could not be adapted to RAS to a standard that could keep them on scene in a prolonged operation. We need to be able to transfer and receive stores , equipment, and liquids. The means can be complicated, but the operation is an everyday task for all Blue water Naval Forces.

36. Thanks na grohmiti, Graylion thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no technical reason why all of our ships could not be adapted to RAS to a standard that could keep them on scene in a prolonged operation. We need to be able to transfer and receive stores , equipment, and liquids. The means can be complicated, but the operation is an everyday task for all Blue water Naval Forces.
    The location of the refueling area on the P60 class is actually ideal, just under the Port Sea Rider with only minor modifications to the funnel ducting area to permit RAS. Is a sliding padeye possible I wonder?

38. Thanks Graylion, DeV thanked for this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    It impresses as a vessel with a robust seakeeping configuration but would have to be a more all rounder, with some emphasis on HADR as well as fleet support and logistics, to meet our MRV aspirations.
    I think this ship would be ideal for HADR. Containers with emergency supplies. Electric drive that one can reconfigure as on shore power supply. Accommodation for aid vehicles, helpers, evacuees. Build in a small hospital that can be extendied via containers on the vehicle deck. Had we had such a ship we could have sent it to Haiti after the hurricane for instance.

40. Likes DeV liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this ship would be ideal for HADR. Containers with emergency supplies. Electric drive that one can reconfigure as on shore power supply. Accommodation for aid vehicles, helpers, evacuees. Build in a small hospital that can be extendied via containers on the vehicle deck. Had we had such a ship we could have sent it to Haiti after the hurricane for instance.
    I would concur with your view, except we would be trying to squeeze our requirements into 125m X 21.3 m at around 10,000 tons DWT. The Cork Dockyard is limited to a width of 21.3 m.

42. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we should limit ships size based on the dimensions of a graving dock who's owners have no interest in maintaining it or the associated facilities.

44. Likes sofa, EUFighter, Graylion liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would concur with your view, except we would be trying to squeeze our requirements into 125m X 21.3 m at around 10,000 tons DWT. The Cork Dockyard is limited to a width of 21.3 m.
    Yes, the vessel would have limitations based on size. I still think that of everything we have kicked around here over the last several years it offers the best option. Or we bite the bullet and accept that drydocking happens abroad.

Thread Information