This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ias
    GF, according to the B+V website the MRV is the same length as the SAN A-200 Corvette/Frigate and weights 3,900 tonnes, compared to 3,200 for the South African vessel and the Australian/NZ MEKO 200, the ANZAC Frigate is slightly smaller, 117 m compared to 121 m and weights 3,500 tonnes.

IAS
    I already know this. As I said in my earlier post,which you no doubt read, the Meko 200 Frigate and Meko 200 MRV share the same Hull. Thats why the length is the same. Even looking at the photos I posted above you would notice the obvious similarities in the HULL
    However that is where the similarities end. Different engines,different sensor fit,completely different upper deck layout.
    Its a common feature of modern ship design. For example the irish Lights vessel Grainuaile has the same hull design as Oil Rig Supply Vessels and Anchor Handling vessels. The Hull found on The Irish P50 class is also found on a coast guard vessel in Mauritius,and forms the basis for the design of the New New Zealand OPV,however neither vessel bears any resemblance to Either Niamh or Roisin.

OPV Vigilant

New Zealand OPV

Also if you visit the Blohm and Voss website you will see
    The concept of the MEKO® 200 MRV has been shaped in numerous discussions with customers looking for a bigger, more versatile OPV.The design objectives for the these vessels are:
    Class and merchant marine rules and regulations
    Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) equipment
    Mission adaptability
    Modularity

Please visit this link before drawing my attention to any further points. If you have any diffuculty understanding some of th eterms used,try here

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Not that my opinion counts for anything, but the MEKO 200 MRV looks on paper, like an excellent choice if the Navy ever do go ahead with ordering a support ship. In fact the brochure couldnt be better marketed for the DoD/DoF; the white APC's, UN containers, not to mention suggesting the merits of deploying it "as a versatile exhibition or diplomatic ship."

Can we have two?

I think ias might mean by "naval standards" - that these ships would have a level of armour etc. which isnt fitted to the navys current vessels, but who knows.
      Last edited by pym; 5 August 2005, 17:16.

Comment

• Armour stopped being fitted to naval vessels when it was realised that Aircraft carriers,not battleships,were to be the capitol ships of the future. I don't know of any serving warship that is armoured these days. Most hulls are built of the same steel that is clad on the hull of the average APC,and any glass on a ship must be able to withstand the pressures of the sea trying to make its way in. The same surfaces because of this would probably withstand certain small arms ammunition, thats as far as it goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish
          The same surfaces because of this would probably withstand certain small arms ammunition, thats as far as it goes.
          I wonder how much armour you'd need to stop an exocet missile, a torpedo or a smart bomb?

Wasn't there a story from the invasion of the Falklands of a detachment of Royal Marines nearly sinking an Argentinian corvette with a Milan, before being surrounded and forced to surrender?

Comment

• No tangents please barry.

Comment

• Message #18 in this Previous Thread

As I was trying to say, not going Military seems to save money, but I'm no expert, I use this board as a learning tool as well as for enjoyment, so no offence to anybody.

IAS

Comment

• And we will assist you in the learning process where possible.
                Saving money,is always going to be the order of the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish
                  OK,the rumour persists.

About 4000 tonnes,Blue/green role.
                  Word is the finer details are being ironed out. As always budget is the only maybe,but in the past,there has never been a problem,ask,and you shall recieve.

I found this on the Blohm and Voss website....

Meko 200 MRV

Main characteristics ship platform:
                  Length, overall 121.00 m
                  Length, DWL 109.00 m
                  Beam 17.00 m
                  Draught 4.40 m
                  Displacement 3,900 t
                  Range 8,000 nm
                  Endurance 30 days

Propulsion:
                  2 high-speed diesel engines 5,200 kW each
                  2 shafts fitted with controllable pitch propellers
                  Max. speed > 22 kn

Crew:
                  Total 150 + 10

Helicopter:
                  optional

http://212.72.173.53/en/page.php?page_id=PG-215
                  Straight from a slideshow of the Flotilla and the future fleet taken today at Haulbowline.

Remember where you heard it first! :tri: :tri: :tri:

The Blue/green vessel is expected to enter service in 2007.

Comment

• Looks a lot bigger than 3,900 tonnes, and should be intresting to see it getting into the Basin , and a crew of 150 .
                    I bet there are a lot of writers etc looking to transfer to another branch of the forces right now .

Great bit of info Goldie , good job
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Question withdrawn.
                      Last edited by Guest; 28 August 2005, 02:43.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

• ljj

any chance you could repost this in the relevant thread? It takes ages to split/merge on such a large thread.

Comment

• its almost common knowledge given that there was a drawing posted in the base today...
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• It is NOW

Comment

• A question on the photo of the slide above of the "P61" proposal. I was studying it a little closer over the weekend and comparing it to the images on the B+V site. I was surprised to note that the twin funnel arrangement on the image of the "P61" is much further "aft" than on the MEKO 200 MRV images (hope my terminology is correct, if not apologies). This appears to lead to reduced cargo space on deck, a less efficient use of space ahead of the funnels and there also appears to be differences in the "superstructure". I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice these, does anyone know why? Is the "P61" the latest/older image of the "200"? Is a Naval Service "modified" version?

Also, regarding the Absalon, I quoted earlier an incorrect price, the correct price, quoted by Jane's IDR, for the vessel is DKK970million (just for interest).

IAS

Comment

• While I cannot answer your question, keep in mind that the Meko system is designed around the end users specifications, rather than an "off the shelf" design.

Earlier posts modified to make comparison easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X