Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Already answered by ancient mariner. 181m × 28m is the entrance to the dock by the overall internal length. Max beam coming in would be no more than 26m, for safety but a lot of recent structures need to be removed first. You can see if you look on Google maps there is a pontoon for privately owned sailing craft on one side, and two concrete dolphins on the other side, used to stop ships loading or unloading from the cooling bay from getting caught on the stepped dock walls. The photos can be found elsewhere on this site.
    Modern best practice says the dock should be covered, but once equipped with a dockside or mobile crane that has a useful swl of at least 20000kg at the centre line of the dock then you can do most work. The heavy engineering work can still be done elsewhere.
    Again, this topic has been done to death elsewhere on this site.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Already answered by ancient mariner. 181m × 28m is the entrance to the dock by the overall internal length. Max beam coming in would be no more than 26m, for safety but a lot of recent structures need to be removed first. You can see if you look on Google maps there is a pontoon for privately owned sailing craft on one side, and two concrete dolphins on the other side, used to stop ships loading or unloading from the cooling bay from getting caught on the stepped dock walls. The photos can be found elsewhere on this site.
      Modern best practice says the dock should be covered, but once equipped with a dockside or mobile crane that has a useful swl of at least 20000kg at the centre line of the dock then you can do most work. The heavy engineering work can still be done elsewhere.
      Again, this topic has been done to death elsewhere on this site.
      That is the dimensions of the dock - I am trying to tease out what would fit into the basin. Same beam but longer?

I like the idea of reactivating the dock I must say though.

Comment

• Longer? Do you understand how a dock works? You have to close one end with the ship inside to drain the water... you cant close one end if there is still a bit of ship sticking out.
        Jaysus.

Comment

Longer? Do you understand how a dock works? You have to close one end with the ship inside to drain the water... you cant close one end if there is still a bit of ship sticking out.
          Jaysus.
          We are talking at cross purposes. I am not talking about the dock. I am talking about the harbour basin. You keep talking about the dock.

Comment

• If you mean fitting an actual ship into the basin to berth, that's not really a huge issue. Basin entrance is the same with as the dry dock. Because of the angle the entrance meets the channel and the danger of hitting a vessel within, 120m, 130m at a push could enter and leave the basin. But they dont need to as the oil wharf will accomodate ships much larger, and there is quay space just outside the basin entrance that is being put back into use.
            There are also other plans, discussed elsewhere, with photos.

Comment

• The basin is also a dock. But there is a dock within the basin.

Comment

If you mean fitting an actual ship into the basin to berth, that's not really a huge issue. Basin entrance is the same with as the dry dock. Because of the angle the entrance meets the channel and the danger of hitting a vessel within, 120m, 130m at a push could enter and leave the basin. But they dont need to as the oil wharf will accomodate ships much larger, and there is quay space just outside the basin entrance that is being put back into use.
                Thanks. That is what I was thinking too. I was just a bit thrown by Dev's post. So from a mooring PoV the 200*30m ship would not be an issue and we can agree to disagree on the docking thing?

Comment

• Currently it would not be ideal, as we do not have the infrastructure to carry out the most mundane of maintenance tasks at home.
                  Ships need their bottom surveyed regularly, this can only done when ship is out of the water. There is nowhere in the state we can do this.

Comment

If you mean fitting an actual ship into the basin to berth, that's not really a huge issue. Basin entrance is the same with as the dry dock. Because of the angle the entrance meets the channel and the danger of hitting a vessel within, 120m, 130m at a push could enter and leave the basin. But they dont need to as the oil wharf will accomodate ships much larger, and there is quay space just outside the basin entrance that is being put back into use.
                    Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                    Thanks. That is what I was thinking too. I was just a bit thrown by Dev's post. So from a mooring PoV the 200*30m ship would not be an issue and we can agree to disagree on the docking thing?

The Spencer Jetty? Intended for temporary berthage at short notice as it limits the entrance to the basin

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    Currently it would not be ideal, as we do not have the infrastructure to carry out the most mundane of maintenance tasks at home.
                    Ships need their bottom surveyed regularly, this can only done when ship is out of the water. There is nowhere in the state we can do this.
                    Cork Dockyard?

Comment

• In the absence of same, as current owners are intent on repurposing it, all the while failing to invest in equipment updates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                        Just one last attempt to explain Haulbowline basin and drydock. The entrance to the basin is the same width as the entrance to the Drydock at 94ft or 28.48 metres. The drydock is 600 ft long but a ship or ships longer than that were drydocked by putting the Caisson Gate in the basin entrance and pumping out the whole basin plus drydock. We had in effect an expandable drydock facility, the only constraint was the ships could not exceed say 27.5 metres to give some maneuvering room. A ship 30m beam would not fit there or in Cork Drydock up the road.

Comment

• I heard on the grapewine that 2 vessels have been earmarked for acquisition by the NS. One possible option mentioned was the Ben My Chree https://www.steam-packet.com/ourvess...1-a2cfb48ef948

level of confidence overall: low

Comment

• Why in gods name would we buy the Ben My Chee?

Comment

• You got wires crossed. Ben my Chree is what HMNZS Canterbury is based on. The NS have visited Canturbury to confirm that a ship of this type is not the answer.

Comment

You got wires crossed. Ben my Chree is what HMNZS Canterbury is based on. The NS have visited Canturbury to confirm that a ship of this type is not the answer.
                                Even the RNZN advised the NZ Govt that it was not the answer 15 years ago. Still did not stop the NZ Govt from buying a tarted up Roro Ferry though.

Comment

Working...
                                X