This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
    Steam turbines driving generators, driving electric motors, driving the shaft. so 130 MW electric power..

I am not talking about your basic genny. I am talking about the prime mover, the thing moving the ship through the water being electric,. This is _not_ your bulk standard genny.

Look at HMS Queen Elizabeth (the curent one) several diesels and 2 GTs providing electricity to drive the electric motors that drive the 2 shafts. Queen Mary has a similar propulsion, as does Juan Carlos. Your gennies do not nearly have the same amount of power as the engines actually propelling the ship. So I am suggesting that the ship be diesel electric driven so that she has something like 10 MW generating capacity instead of maybe 2MW.

So while every waship has a certain amount of generating power it is only a small amount compared to the power of the propulsion diesels. In a diesel electric drive all the power of the prime movers is available for providing electricity. In my example USS Lexington (CV-2) provided the City of Tacoma not with power from her gennies, but from her main propulsion.
    The P60's have three 630kW gennies, with a 300kW emergency gennie. Given that the hotel functions will still need to be powered (no big power hungry sensors) there maybe be 1MW avvailable.
    Last edited by EUFighter; 6 June 2020, 11:13.

Comment

• As ever ship design moves on and Navantia seem now to have combined a LPD and LSV into a single ship, their proposed Australian JSS.

http://https://www.navalnews.com/eve...t-ship-design/

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
        The P70's have three 630kW gennies, with a 300kW emergency gennie. Given that the hotel functions will still need to be powered (no big power hungry sensors) there maybe be 1MW avvailable.
        Roll Royce have the DE contract for newer RN ships the basic units ((propulsion) produce 8000kw +/-, 4 to a frigate design, and 2 to Batch 2 OPV. The generators are all at 930kw. Our Emergency generator at 300kw seems low and I presume it has it's own SWB or does it go to the Main.
        Giving power ashore requires planning and a good High Voltage Shore Connection ,HVSC, system. Definitely with the growth of Hybrid or high capacity electric generation on ships, there is power available. Nowadays the reverse is also true that ships can shut down and connect to shore supply themselves. It does however raise cost and taxation charges for it's use. The type 31 will have 4 X 8000 kw , plus 4 X 900 kw available.

Comment

• What is the output of the P60 when its engines are operating in PTI mode?
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            What is the output of the P60 when its engines are operating in PTI mode?
            Each PTI motor is 350kW, bow thruster is rated at 450kW

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
              Each PTI motor is 350kW, bow thruster is rated at 450kW
              And the onboard generator suite?

Comment

• COVID19- Eithne was to be a floating morgue and backup to HSE HQ

Comment

• Thankfully we never got to the levels seen in the UK or the USA. Pretty sobering though, given what we were facing in March.
                  This type of role is something I'm sure was not considered when the ship was first being designed. Recovery of victims of a tragedy at sea or a natural disaster, maybe, but actual storage as a morgue? I doubt it.
                  I'm sure those tasked with replacing P31 are taking long and detailed notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    Thankfully we never got to the levels seen in the UK or the USA. Pretty sobering though, given what we were facing in March.
                    This type of role is something I'm sure was not considered when the ship was first being designed. Recovery of victims of a tragedy at sea or a natural disaster, maybe, but actual storage as a morgue? I doubt it.
                    I'm sure those tasked with replacing P31 are taking long and detailed notes.
                    To be fair, this is ridiculous - does anyone actually believe that using a naval vessel, tied up,as a temporary morgue would be easier, cheaper and more efficient than hiring a couple of refrigerated shipping containers or lorries?

What idiocy is next, vaccines delivered by 5.56 and some half-wit claiming that it's the DF delivering support to the HSE, and that future ammunition choices should take vaccine delivery into consideration?

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                      To be fair, this is ridiculous - does anyone actually believe that using a naval vessel, tied up,as a temporary morgue would be easier, cheaper and more efficient than hiring a couple of refrigerated shipping containers or lorries?

What idiocy is next, vaccines delivered by 5.56 and some half-wit claiming that it's the DF delivering support to the HSE, and that future ammunition choices should take vaccine delivery into consideration?
                      Given the number of body bags that the Bons in Cork alone ordered, I'd say they would have been concerns even about space. I know from one of the undertakers that they ordered 500 bags at the start of the lockdown, I can only imagine what the major public hospitals in Cork were planning for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        Given the number of body bags that the Bons in Cork alone ordered, I'd say they would have been concerns even about space. I know from one of the undertakers that they ordered 500 bags at the start of the lockdown, I can only imagine what the major public hospitals in Cork were planning for.
                        I worked on RESCRIPT, we were planning for 500,000 fatalities in 4 months. At no stage did we consider usiing the freezers on HM ships - not least because getting a frozen body out of the storerooms of a warship would be, at the least, problematic. We just hired/built massive refrigerated warehouses.

A couple had room for 10,000 each - it was not time to be arseing about with room for three stiffs behind the frozen peas.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                          We just hired/built massive refrigerated warehouses.
                          No disrespect but your comment makes it sound like this provision has just been acquired/made available

Not so

In my (UK) experience pandemic and associated planning at a central government level was in place in 1979 and before

Later as thoughts of building nuclear proof bunkers faded resources were identified and reserved by local authorities i.e. warehouse freezers - quite often their BAU purpose was associated with the meat trade

Comment

• If they did end up dealing with that kind of mass casualty count, Ropebag is right - temporary mortuaries on board a Navy ship is not the way to go - you need somewhere with large Refrigerated storage space, easy access, and ideally, privacy.

What’s needed is somewhere like a sports stadium with temporary Marston mats to provide hard standing and all weather access, with refrigerator trucks and standby generators. Probably something that the state should prepare, with the DoD or Civil Defence keeping / using them.

Edit to add: Sorry, forgot this wasn’t the Covid thread
                            Last edited by Flamingo; 25 June 2020, 21:44.
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• So these refrigerated Warehouses Were lying empty??

Or were they to be put in with frozen veg?

Comment

• Refrigerator trucks, not warehouses. (Edit ; I hadn’t seen Ropebags post)

And I’m sure the two ice-rinks in Dublin featured in somebody’s contingency plan.

Either way, the point stands that the flight deck of a ship is not something that should be considered, except as a very last resort. If refrigerator units have to be loaded onto it, just leave them dockside and mount a guard on them. Easier and better access, from every point of view.
                                Last edited by Flamingo; 25 June 2020, 22:01.
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X