Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Singaporean Endurence class is nice, 6000T, but it maybe a little too big, 141 metres, that and it has a well deck, but a nice ship all the same
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Yes, its a very nice ship too. Many in NZ thought Singapore's Endeavour class was in the lead, but their government went in a different direction. New Zealand had 21 different tenders, I wonder how many Ireland will receive? Frankly, I liked the Italian baby flat tops best, but they were too big and more expensive.

I think the Irish naval service has the MEKO 200 MRV in their sights. I just don't know if the army thinks its large enough. We do know several Irish defence personnel looked over the Merwede MRV in Rotterdam, and the Dutch allowed Irish forces to use their Enforcer type Rotterdam in Liberia.

In my mind the HDW 8000 ton ship is very similar with the NZ MRV, similar size with similar lane meters.

So far, I haven't seen any specifications from the Irish army....
      Last edited by Sea Toby; 10 January 2007, 20:17.

Comment

• the San Giorgio class, yep nice, only 133 meteres....but I think we're both aiming way above what we're actually going to get
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

• yeah,I think its the Mekos to lose, but you never know

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Toby View Post

I think the Irish naval service has the MEKO 200 MRV in their sights. I just don't know if the army thinks its large enough. We do know several Irish defence personnel looked over the Merwede MRV in Rotterdam, and the Dutch allowed Irish forces to use their Enforcer type Rotterdam in Liberia.
            plus didn't the wing operate off an Italian ship in East Timor?, can't remember if that was the Garibaldi or an amphib.

Comment

• Hey might even stand in as a replacement for the now defunct(again) Swansea Cork Ferry
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Dail Debates.

The Department is examining the question of the capacity of one or more of the new ships it is acquiring to get involved in humanitarian missions and it will be discussed in the course of the tender negotiations. We would like to have at least one ship adapted for humanitarian work.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Yes keep using that word "humanitarian"...... what are those landing craft for?.......delivering food...humanitarian things you know

Comment

• They are not landing craft. They are Aid distribution vessels......

Comment

• Another type:

MULTI ROLE VESSEL FOR AN OVERSEAS NAVY

Armstrong Technology has produced a concept design for a twin screw Multi-Role Vessel to be built to commercial standards and capable of amphibious operations (including landing troops and vehicles by landing craft, helicopter or alongside) helicopter operations; disaster relief and humanitarian aid.
                      Possibly one of the bidders in the KIWI MRV competition, perhaps not.

Comment

• you know if they are not wedded to this 121 metre ship length that they are talking about, the NZ MRV is 131 metres....

Comment

• Well the Figures mentioned suggest some leeway:

The cost of the three new ships ranges from €160 million at the lower end of the scale to €190 million at the upper end.
                          However I don't think the Canterbury is ideal for our purposes. They have lots of protectorates in the Pacific to tend to, we have the Islands off the west coast....Theirs would be involved in the amphibous side of it more than ours would. In all the discussion on our MRV/ Blue Green whatever, never once have I heard any mention of landing craft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Well the Figures mentioned suggest some leeway:
                            any idea what we could get for 190 million GF?

Comment

• None. Ships like this are designed for the purpose they will be required for. Difficult to generalise when it comes to price...

Comment

• How much did NZ pay for their MRV?, might give me a rough estimate to work out whats feasible

Comment

Working...
                                X