Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the "Project Protector" thread.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Well the Figures mentioned suggest some leeway:

The cost of the three new ships ranges from €160 million at the lower end of the scale to €190 million at the upper end.
      Excellent news, I know inflation is high, but the Roisin & Niamh cost over €25 million each (2002). So hopefully the NS are going to be getting much larger and more capable vessels(with more potential roles).

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Excellent news, I know inflation is high, but the Roisin & Niamh cost over €25 million each (2002). So hopefully the NS are going to be getting much larger and more capable vessels(with more potential roles).
        The NZN paid 110million USD for their MRV, fingers and toe's crossed we can get something similar if not better for 160 million+ Euro's
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Except the budget is for three ships not one
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• US$110m is rougly €82m....so that still leaves a nice margin for manover considering, and correct me if I am wrong, there is €90m set aside for the MRV, meaning there is about €35m each for the other 2 ships.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              Except the budget is for three ships not one
              DOH! I miss read it....:redface:
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

• If the Navy are going to have a humanitarian role they are going to need some way of getting stuff on to the beach. There might not be any infrastructure where they go and it would be short sighted if they couldn't land aid using their own resources. They should take a leaf from the NZN and copy the craft they have on the Canterbury.
                Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin_ie View Post
                  US$110m is rougly €82m....so that still leaves a nice margin for manover considering, and correct me if I am wrong, there is €90m set aside for the MRV, meaning there is about €35m each for the other 2 ships.
                  even if the 2 smaller ships came out at 40 mill each, that would still leave 110 million on the top end for a B/G ship...I think we could get something pretty nice for that.

Comment

• Dont tell the Civil Service that...
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• The civil service already know....

Comment

• Just thought I'd revisit this German design. It was mentioned much earlier.

The Type 404 Elbe Class.

In Bundesmarine service they act as support ships for Minesweeper, Submarine or Patrol Boats.

Length: 100.55m
                        Beam: 15.4m
                        Draft: 4.05m
                        Displacement: 3170t
                        Propulsion:
                        1 Deutz MWM SBV diesel engine, 2562kW
                        Speed: 15kts
                        Range: 2600nm
                        Bow thruster
                        Armament:
                        2 Fliegerfaust 2 surface-to-air missile stands (MANPADS)
                        2 Rheinmetall Rh202 20mm autocannon
                        Supplies:
                        max 24 standard 6.2m containers
                        700m³ fuel
                        60m³ aviation (helicopter) fuel
                        280m³ fresh water
                        160t ammunition
                        40t supplies
                        Disposal:
                        5t solid waste
                        180m³ waste water
                        32m³ waste oil
                        No hangar, but a helo deck was added for Sea king sized or larger helicopters
                        Complement: 40 (standard) + >38 (repair party, passengers, squadron staff)

Comment

• could it carry a decent amount of vehicles and have the ability to offload them easily?

Comment

• It has a Crane to handle the Containers. Theoretically this crane could also handle vehicles, if it was big enough(80/100t)

Comment

• Suitability?

Limited draught and range - looks like it's designed for the Baltic or the North Sea rather than the Atlantic. Seems to be more of a tender for flotillas of small craft rather than a landing ship. (Some of the Elbe class have had their 20mms replaced by 27mm RWSs, in line with German Navy policy.)

More info. and lots of pics. at http://www.marine-portraits.de/deuts...513/index.html

Comment

• Who is looking for a landing ship? Have you read any of the thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X