This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoker
    Based on what Irish sea ferry built in Holland?
    From the attached .pdf file it is based on a Manx ferry.

The Absalon class

Comment

Dev,

Are you confused? I don't think Absalon is based on a ferry - more like previous Odense built warships for the RDN. Now, the MRV for New Zealand is based on a ferry, see the tenix link three posts above.

Cheers

Comment

I think we should rule out Absalon from the start. It is way more warship than we will ever need.

Unless that id you are a certain person who believes a thread IMO mods invented some time ago...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

the problem with the Tenix MRV maybe that it look's too much like a LPD and we all know the crusties will raise shit over it........probably claim we're building it to help the EU RRF to invade Africa again
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Who cares what the crusties think. Tell them its a ferry to collect refugees from Nigeria.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
              Who cares what the crusties think. Tell them its a ferry to collect refugees from Nigeria.
              Politician's who hold the wallet,do, or to be more precise, they'd care what influence the crusties would have on the oridinary public who don't know much about the military, oh I'm sure the crusties would not bring up what they themselves would think the ship was for, the usual "we're throwing away neutrality", or going on "imperilist adventures", the issue of how expensive it is, why do we need it, it's an offensive weapon system, would be used against it, no matter what the truth is, it alway's get's buried in bullshit, but you'd have muppet's like Matt Cooper bleeting on again about "expensive toy's for the boy's" like he did when the Javelin's were being bought, I'm sure that gobshite Barret would be all over the place complaining, and you know as well as I do, that one whiff of controversey and the politician's will drop any ship building project like the MRV , maybe I'm being just pessimistic but it's just a feeling I have about it

sorry for the rant
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

The crusties are clueless when it comes to the naval service(much the same as the rest of the country). When GWB visited shannon,their experts decided Eithne was a US naval vessel sent to the shannon estuary to protect him.
                As for matt COO COOper he is too liberal for his own good. The anti war made no comment whatsoever when we went to the Old enemy 5 years ago and got them to build us 2 new ships. Its the job of the DF press office to provide the correct and relevant information to prevent distortion of the real story. Emphasising the vessels abilities in:

pollution control,
                disaster relief

(if on the off chance the vessel were in a tsunami affected area),
                humanitarian aid
                ,fisheries protection and
                troop transport.

Its all about marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Redeye
                  Dev,

Are you confused? I don't think Absalon is based on a ferry - more like previous Odense built warships for the RDN. Now, the MRV for New Zealand is based on a ferry, see the tenix link three posts above.

Cheers
                  No not confused, from the .pdf file attached to this thread (of the New Zealand MRV) - the tenix link - the MRV is based on a Manx ferry.

Comment

Goldie, since it is officially getting about near the time to replace at least one of the P20s' just how soon do you think a firm order might be placed? If one of the P20's is really being decomissioned in 2007 the procurement tender should be about ready to go out on the streets. Do you really believe that anything other than another P50 is really on the cards? These rumours of a larger vessel are they really anything more than just pie in the sky?
                    Last edited by Guest; 26 July 2005, 08:55.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Well the facts,as I have them are:
                      The east wall of the basin in Haulbowline,never in the past used by the Naval service has been dredged to a depth deeper than the rest of the basin. ask anyone why(regardless of rank) and they will say its for the new ship.

Ask anyone if they heard the rumour,and everyone in the NS will reply"the blue/green ship?"

Everyone in the NS also agrees that Emer is on her last legs.

There are other sources I have that I cannot talk about,needless to say they are reliable.

The only variable is the Dept of Finance.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                        The only variable is the Dept of Finance.
                        That's a HELL of a variable.
                        Meh.

Comment

Well Goldie I guess we will soon know then one way or the other. I daresay that the morale of the NS would be dampened a bit then if the rumour turns out to be false. From what you've presenetd though there seems to be reasonable case for optimism. Fingers crossed.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

The way I Understand,how these things work is that the military authorities identify a requirement,look at how others do it,decide what they want and then present their proposals to the department of defence,who propose it to the Dept of finance,who decide whether or not the funds are there. Then it is tendered for,with experts wording the tender in such a way that the type of vessel originally considered can be specified. In its short history,the NS has learnt a lot about ship procurement and design. In the Case of the P50 class,Design was left to KMM, who came back with a vessel that has preformed excellently,with a few minor flaws which were quickly rectified. Eithne Could have been an excellent class too(and is an excellent vessel),If dockyard disputes and internal difficulties within the Defence forces had not hindered it so much.
                            Peacocks were an opportunity that we happened to be ready for,as a replacement for the Minesweepers had long been sought,and these vessels provided a cost effective option,which has payed off. While the P20 class has for many years been the blueprint for all similar sized coastguard vessels in the north atlantic.
                            The latter 2 P20 class have a lot more life in them than Emer has. The current concentration in the naval industry towards anti terrorist EEZ patrolling,has provided the market with a wide range of off the shelf options,such as the British River class,KMMs variants(as seen to enter service in the next few years with the NZ navy),and many more.
                            Our advantage is we have been involved in EEZ patrolling for many years. We know what we need. Our ships are equipped with equipment larger supposedly better equipped Navies only recently realised they needed, such as RIB boarding boats,Visual weapon targetting,low density crew accomodation.
                            When the decision is made,because of the tight purse strings,the best value for money will be the key.

Comment

How about some ex-yank equipment?

USS Racine is in reserve

And the Aussies have done a nice job with the one they aquired

Here's an article on the refit

Last edited by yooklid; 29 July 2005, 21:39.
                              Meh.

Comment

how many does it take to crew her
                                There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Working...
                                X