X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
    Aircrews did not want to be there,
    and?

i don't enjoy the desert much, but a rigourous system of Courts Martial and a dislike of being unemployed persuaded me of the benefits of camping holidays in the sand...

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      and?

i don't enjoy the desert much, but a rigourous system of Courts Martial and a dislike of being unemployed persuaded me of the benefits of camping holidays in the sand...
      It's was one of the reasons naval aviation did not work for us. Two weeks bouncing around the Atlantic versus out the gate by four thirty most days when in the Don. Reason old posts on the subject here called for naval owned and crewed aircraft.

Comment

• It was probably more to do with low pilot numbers, SAR detachments, ATCP detachments and everything else being a higher priority

Comment

• I still think Sparky's suggestion of an AOR is probably the best idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
            I still think Sparky's suggestion of an AOR is probably the best idea.
            me too - a decent RAS/AOR/support ship is far cheaper than a decent Corvette/light-Frigate/EPV, and it has far greater political/diplomatic effect than just-another-frigate given Europes cronic shortage of such things...

its also, in domestic politics terms, far easier to design, build, pay for and use.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
              It's was one of the reasons naval aviation did not work for us. Two weeks bouncing around the Atlantic versus out the gate by four thirty most days when in the Don. Reason old posts on the subject here called for naval owned and crewed aircraft.
              I remember one Air Corps Corporal (techie type) being pretty unhappy about his messing arrangements on board , he was part of the Junior Ratings Mess and not the Senior Rates Mess as is the norm on board ship and which he had not expected, plus his cabin was located as far down in the ship as possible well below the water line which seemed to make him very apprehensive , much to the amusement of the navy crew .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                I remember one Air Corps Corporal (techie type) being pretty unhappy about his messing arrangements on board , he was part of the Junior Ratings Mess and not the Senior Rates Mess as is the norm on board ship and which he had not expected, plus his cabin was located as far down in the ship as possible well below the water line which seemed to make him very apprehensive , much to the amusement of the navy crew .
                In fairness passage on an OPV may not be everyone's cup of tea , he signed up as an aviator rather than a sailor.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                  In fairness passage on an OPV may not be everyone's cup of tea , he signed up as an aviator rather than a sailor.
                  Which is why the navy should have their own air wing. If only so they have an understanding how the messes work.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Here's another contender for a "configurable" Type 31......(EPV?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                      Here's another contender for a "configurable" Type 31......(EPV?)

http://www.stellersystems.co.uk/wp-c...n-Brochure.pdf
                      It's a frigate

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        It's a frigate
                        Can't say I've ever heard of this outfit. However, I am always leery of a company whose total output appears to consist of snazzy computer graphics. Designing a ship for the RN with a hangar for an MH90 is also an interesting own goal.

Comment

• It's a Damen Crossover minus the sealift capability, sort of..

Appears they may have been following this very thread.

Superficially a blend of a Samuel Beckett and a Damen Crossover.

Brochure keen to stress capable of being built to varying structural standards, frigate to OPV.

As for the firm themselves.. http://www.stellersystems.co.uk/

In an ideal world*, we'll have two, plus an option for another two..

* Firm proves capable.
                          'Lost' sealift capability aggregated into a mini JSS, with an option for another one.
                          Two OPV/ETV/Environmental Protection Vessels also ordered, with options for another two.
                          Last edited by The Usual Suspect; 22 February 2017, 20:49. Reason: Clarification ETV

Comment

• Just having had a look through their "news" section to me it suggests a relatively limited history, have they any major units produced? I mean if we were in the route for something like that why not something from Damen? I also see that the proposed "frigate factory " investment for the Type 26 has been canned now due to the drop in numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Usual Suspect View Post

* Firm proves capable.
                              'Lost' sealift capability aggregated into a mini JSS, with an option for another one.
                              Two OPV/ETV/Environmental Protection Vessels also ordered, with options for another two.
                              My ideal world is 2 Damen Crossovers with decent armament and 1 AOR/LSS like the Norwegian one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                                My ideal world is 2 Damen Crossovers with decent armament and 1 AOR/LSS like the Norwegian one.
                                Ref the EPV/MRV, will be interesting to see if any shipyard are actually interested in building just one ship.

Any deals for OPV/MRV type ships ahve been 2-3 vessels with an option for more.

Only crowd id say that would be interested would be Appledore who we should sever ties with immediately after the P60 debacle

Comment

Working...
                                X