Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Media

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Social Media

With the NS 'Captain's Log' tracking the LE Niamh on it's voyage to South America on a daily basis and the the official DFnow well established with facebook, twitter etc....what's the general opinion on these?

Is there more info?
    Are people better informed?
    Does it make a difference?

IMO it gives anyone who wants to watch greater info. But are they any better informed, 'cos the same rumour mill still exists, which is normally a*se-ways!

Discuss....

Post Thanks / Like
    MOD: I have deleted a number of posts. Let's start again and follow the rules. Next time I'll be handing out points.

Vickers.
    Last edited by Vickers; 20th June 2010 at 17:19. Reason: Add content
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Post Thanks / Like
    Positive overall. I think the example of the Captain's Log and the various updates on the Niamh are an ideal use of Social Media. Highlighting exercises and purchases (LTAV, etc) help increase the profile of the DF amongst people who might otherwise not be as aware. In that sense it's probably more useful for relations with people outside the DF than as a tool for serving personnel.

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    they should create a special portal for DF personnel so they can log in and get up to datenews and info and further defence chatter which is still unclassified although on aggregate not necessarily for the public domain.

lets start using what's available to us.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Flanders Pidgeon Murderer Captain Edmund Blackadder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Facebook page page is great. Good links, and The Captain always answers any questions in chat.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem with putting lots of the Photos on Flickr and Facebook is that is not available in many businesses.
    Both sites are blocked where I work.(IMO isn't).

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    The only problem with putting lots of the Photos on Flickr and Facebook is that is not available in many businesses.
    Both sites are blocked where I work.(IMO isn't).
    that will always be the case but at least they can be viewed when people are at home or on their Smartphones.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    True, however I think it is also important for those in business, and not just private individuals, to have access to what the NS or Air Corps are up to, particularly so they can see what the former DF people they may intend employing have experience in.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    then more effort needs to go into the www.military.ie website to ensure this happens, with a portal for serving soldiers.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Its good to have, you can get some information on them you might not otherwise get, or may take longer to hear about. Pat O'Connor answers every question asked, even though there are some pretty silly ones!! Only thing I will say is that you see people saying things like "It's good to see the DF at *insert whatever here* but how come it wasn't in the news?" it needs to be promoted in the wider media IMO
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    they should create a special portal for DF personnel so they can log in and get up to datenews and info and further defence chatter which is still unclassified although on aggregate not necessarily for the public domain.

lets start using what's available to us.

Its available on the DF Intranet, which is very secure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Its available on the DF Intranet, which is very secure.
    yeah but you have to be at work for that. you want something available on the Internet.

serving soldiers should be able to view their pay statements, promotion results and course details on the Internet.

having a site that is firewall friendly offering plenty of info for those not in the military and a portal for those still serving is a good way forward.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket at home that cost be about 60 Punts when I

first got this house- thank God I have never used it--I also have the house connected to a fire

alarm monitors and thank God they have never had to ring anyone on my behalf-

We now are in the situation where we have 10,000 members of the Defence Forces

"sitting around " doing nothing:

I think its vital that in these days of budegatary cutbacks that the DF gets its message out there

as to what you lads do- and why your vital etc;

with this in mind I think we should all whisper a silent thank God that Pat O Connor- Gavin Young

Niall Nolan came along at this particular time.

They are the lads who had to go to the General Staff and say we need to be on face book- BEBO- Twitter etc.

If we dodnt have Pat O Connor- Gavin Young and Nial Nolan- then there would be much more

very similar letters as per todasys Sunday Tribune-

(normally my dyslexia is manageable but tonight I have no glasses and a very small computer
    so like Miriam O Callaghans's fertility cuyclye tis a matter of look as to what gets through to you)

Everyone on this web site knows what the DF does or has the capibility to do
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hedgehog;305814]I

The 1000 crack troops one? I think Jessup pointed out that the Tribune is part of Baron Beanz empire and very anti-public service, so crackpot letters like that are always going to be published.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=terrier;305937]
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I

The 1000 crack troops one? I think Jessup pointed out that the Tribune is part of Baron Beanz empire and very anti-public service, so crackpot letters like that are always going to be published.
    I didnt know the Tribune was part of the Independent group

but if Jess says so then -

however it should be borne in mind that Newspapers form the perpection of the general public:

you and I know what valiant work the Defence Forces do on our behalf- you and I know how

silly it would be to get rid of the DF-

However not everyone has our intimate knowledge of the DF and for everyone of us who

has this knowledge there is at least 100 ordinary members of the public whose opinion

will be formed on letters such as this-

Jess is wrong in seeking to igonre such letters- not only should they be countered with

a positive PR element ( think of what Pat O Connor is doing)

but we should also have preventitive PR in existence in that the word should go out to one

and all- "desist from doing anything really really stupid"

and Court Martialing a clown who called you a prick at the cost of 18 months effort

and €30,000 of legal aid is in anyones definition "really really stupd"
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully agree with the use of social media.
    So long as it is being done professionally and not showing the DF in a negative light. Have been seeing a load of facebook pages and bebp pages getting set up, that are the business.

So I am glad to see that common sense is finally prevailing on this subject, because I was sick of hearing people (of the older generation) talking about these things as a bane and a nuisance. While painting them all with the same brush because of the poor ones that were out.

Most of them mainly on bebo too I might add, but there are a few exceptional ones on bebo too that show the DF in a positive light. Although, they all seem to be for the RDF and RDF units, but still good work all round none the less.

Keep up the good work I say.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Army and Air Corps getting it in the ear on Joe shit stir Duffy today.

Talk on Tom Dunne about the Congo and the possible making of a

film on the Jadotville seige

Post Thanks / Like
    Any recent group invitations I've received on Facebook have been to do with the World Cup, or depending on the friend, something it wouldn't be polite to mention on a public forum.

Just received an invitation from Pat O'Connor to 'RIP Lieutenant General Dermot Earley DSM'. It goes to show how much the DF are embracing this at the moment.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got that invite too.
    And its a really good page. Was just checking it out. I do love the picture with George Best on it too.

But if the social networking page is being run properly, then what's the problem. I know that a lot of people are up in arms over bebo pages and facebook pages, but the majority of these people are really people who don't have a facebook page and don't understand them.

But I am glad to see that the attitude is now changing, and that's down to people (maybe making a stand to make their pint) that they're not the scourge that people paint them as. Granted there are tools out there who post the wrong stuff, but you can't control that. And they're the ones that should be clamped down on.

But not every page should fall under the same rule of thumb. Especially if they are "professionally" done and show the RDF/PDF in a really good light.
    I had a few pages on my bebo page in uniform and an NCO told me to take them down. There's nothing wrong with them either. Just some pictures of me and my section, no messing in them or anything. The guy said he wants me to take them down because the'yre on bebo, but if they were on facebook that would be fine.

I mean what the hell does that mean? I think he doesn't know what he is talking about. He said the DF allow pics on facebook, but only on facebook because they have a facebook page. But bebo pics are not allowed.
    These pics were just of me and my section - with the Steyrs and GPMG - same as you would see on a fireplace in your home. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I am pretty sure that's not the case. I know there is a DFR about pics and so on, but I also know that there is a relaxed approach to what you put up as long as it is something appropriate to the DF. Pics that show the organisation in a positive light.

Can anyone throw in some insight to this please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Army and Air Corps getting it in the ear on Joe shit stir Duffy today.

Talk on Tom Dunne about the Congo and the possible making of a

film on the Jadotville seige
    What are they saying? (both)

or what did they say rather?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ghostrider, there was a directive about it recently I think. Our platoon commander read it out to us and the gist seem to be that it's alright provided it shows the DF in a professional light. I'd check it out further though.

It being alright on Facebook but not Bebo seems ridiculously pedantic though, and I can't remember any such thing being mentioned in the brief we got.

Actually, given the thread topic the easiest way would probably be to ask Captain O'Connor on Facebook. Some of the lads have mentioned he replies when contacted with the chat feature. Assuming of course you have an account.
    Last edited by FoxtrotRK; 1st July 2010 at 16:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotRK View Post
    Ghostrider, there was a directive about it recently I think. Our platoon commander read it out to us and the gist seem to be that it's alright provided it shows the DF in a professional light. I'd check it out further though.

It being alright on Facebook but not Bebo seems ridiculously pedantic though, and I can't remember any such thing being mentioned in the brief we got.

Actually, given the thread topic the easiest way would probably be to ask Captain O'Connor on Facebook. Some of the lads have mentioned he replies when contacted with the chat feature. Assuming of course you have an account.
    Just asked there now, he said that you can post things about the DF if they are positive and don't endanger OPSEC. The bebo being different to FB thing is complete nonsense

Post Thanks / Like
    There's nothing wrong with them either.
    2008 The COS issued a directive regarding posting images without the DFs consent...end of story Bebo or Facebook.

Anything thats up there requires official sanction.

Of course you can be told to remove them but you can alos contact the DF press office and get permission to submit them.

As long as you are subject to Military law you must conform.

Or you could be just like me and don't give a shit.

the other side being if the page is on a friends only basis why was this other guy going through your photos?

Whats the worst they can do.. A court Martial..we can see how much of a farce that can be...
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    2008 The COS issued a directive regarding posting images without the DFs consent...end of story Bebo or Facebook.

Anything thats up there requires official sanction.
    I think that's been revised, Murph.

Post Thanks / Like
    its ok to post as long as OPSEC isnt breached and the DF isnt shown in a bad light