• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

Comment

Rest In Peace
      Last edited by Vickers; 2 September 2012, 11:25.
      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

May he + Rest In Peace +

Sympathy & Condolences to his Family, Friends, & Comrades.

Comment

Rest in Peace.

A soldiers soldier

His retirement was a loss. his death a greater one.

Condolence to family friends and colleagues
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Rest In Peace Sir..

Comment

Had the honour of meeting him last year. talked to all ranks and let us take photo's with him a true gentleman. hes sidekicks were not happy at the time we were taking up talking and taking photo's. but he didnot care .he only left when we were happy

A sad loss. to all in the DF and his family
              hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

A great loss.

R.I.P

Comment

Rest in peace Sir

Comment

R.i.p.
                    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Rest in Peace sir.

Thoughts with his family.

Comment

R.i.p
                        "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

R.I.P . He will be sorely missed by all.My heatfelt condolences to his family.Today is a dark day for the Defence forces.We have lost a great leader.\:)|
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The true mark of a leader is not how your troops operate when your there

but rather how they operate when your not there,

I think the big D can happily look down on the Defence Forces and smile to himself and say

they didnt fall apart and crumble because I am gone.

We dont need to commenorate him with monuments or statutes

The Soldiers- Sailors and Airmen of the modern Defence Forces he helped to form, is his lasting legacy.
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

RIP

Great man and an even better COS. A big loss to the DF.
                              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I had the pleasure to meet Lt. General Earley, I have yet to meet anyone during my career in the DF who made an impression on me in the way Lt. General Earley did. As Murph already said, he truly was a soldiers soldier. His achievements throughout his career speak for themselves and the way people speak about him, says it all really. He was a role model for any young person joining the Defence Forces.

He was a loss when he retired and an even bigger loss now.

RIP Sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X