Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like

Post college courses that are useful to the army

Hello all,
    I am a Corpral the Infantry and i have a bit of a problem, the path of carrer advancement i would like to aim for is to be commissioned from the ranks, but to best be able to get this i would like a qulification behind all my military courses, so... the question i pose to you is what course would be interesting and beneficial to both my own carrer and the military too, also i would have to be able to do the course in ireland or online or by way of distance learning. thank you for your time and input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coisithe View Post
    Hello all,
    I am a Corpral the Infantry and i have a bit of a problem, the path of carrer advancement i would like to aim for is to be commissioned from the ranks, but to best be able to get this i would like a qulification behind all my military courses, so... the question i pose to you is what course would be interesting and beneficial to both my own carrer and the military too, also i would have to be able to do the course in ireland or online or by way of distance learning. thank you for your time and input.
    Human resource management would be a good one I think...I'm doing a degree in International Relations, I thought it would be a good choice at the time, but I'm not 100% sure about whats favored over what
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanical Engineering (see this months An Cosantoir)
    Computer and Communication Engineering
    I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you do, don't do a uniformed services course! I did that in the UK, and I'm almost embarrassed to put it on my CV now.

Flanders Pidgeon Murderer Captain Edmund Blackadder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftandsure View Post
    whatever you do, don't do a uniformed services course! I did that in the uk, and i'm almost embarrassed to put it on my cv now.
    AHHHHHHHHH! Promoting/mentioning/thinking about the BA!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH
    Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 3rd August 2010 at 13:40.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Flanders Pidgeon Murderer Captain Edmund Blackadder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's an uniformed services course when it's at home?
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a course designed to prepare you for working in the Army / Police / Fire service etc. It was good for keeping you fit and active if you are looking to join up, but not worth a wánk to any employers outside the public service.

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi coisithe,

we have the University Short Course Programme (USCP) which forms part of the wider strategy of the Services to contribute to the improvement of the general education of Service personnel. Based upon the philosophy of Lifelong Learning, the USCP intends to help Service personnel make a more effective contribution to Service life by developing their knowledge and personal skills. This is achieved through personnel having the opportunity to address matters of current importance and research and development within an academic environment. Naturally pertinent for current situation, these courses are not intended as pre-deployment courses, they are designed to stimulate thinking on a wider educational context. The aim of the USCP is to meet the broad educational needs of
    Service personnel of all rank levels.

here is the latest prospectus for University Short Courses that are available to the British Army / Royal Air force / Royal Navy:

www - Tri-Service USCP Prospectus 2010/2011

these are courses with a mostly military / command theme that may help you in deciding what you wish to do, you probably have a similar scheme yourselves. i've known a few lads commissioned from the ranks who have attended some of these courses.

good luck mate.

Points issued - keep to the thread!
    Last edited by DeV; 3rd August 2010 at 20:16.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Human resource management is a good start as was previously mentioned. It is concerned with effective man management, dispute resolution, training and education, implementing directives from superiors, disciplinary procedures etc, all of these will of course be learned from a business perspective but the principles are the same. When you go for your comission from the ranks you want to be able to talk about why you are suited to the job and discussing your education in areas like this will give you some thing tangable to blab on about. Also college gives you further examples of "times when" you showed leadership, discipline, work ethic etc that they will ask you about in your interview.

There is much more room to be specific then if you choose to do a masters degree. Alot of colleges now have courses in international relations, international conflict, war studies etc. Things that are actually very job specific with modules on peace keeping and inforcing, terrorism and the likes.

It all depends on what you want to do though. College is a pain in the arse at the best of times so you should try pick something that interests you as im assuming that by your initial post that you will be studying part time. This is harder again in my book so i think pick a course that might interest you (as long as it is not jam making or basket weaving) and go for that. Alot of it is about recruiting people that can demonstrate an ability to absorb information rather that to actually use their degree if that makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    It was a course designed to prepare you for working in the Army / Police / Fire service etc. It was good for keeping you fit and active if you are looking to join up, but not worth a wánk to any employers outside the public service.
    They don't exist in Ireland for the DF, there are some short garda preparation courses (2/3 days).

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thatnks for all the good ideas troops, definitely food for thought, keep them coming ;-)

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    what are peoples opinions on a certificate course in event manegment, alot of the cylibus can be easily made relevent to military ops and training

Post Thanks / Like
    Engineering

Computers

Law

HR

Supply Chain Management

Electronics

Political and public communication

languages- Arabic- Russian- Pashto etc

Medicine

Counselling- Career guidance
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    They don't exist in Ireland for the DF, there are some short garda preparation courses (2/3 days).
    Well considering the OP didn't specify whether he's regular or reservist, there's scope to assume he could study abroad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    There is a security studies and Business Management course in the College of commerce in Cork that markets itself as preparing its sudents for a career in the Gardai or Defence forces, or Private security industry(go figure).
    I ended up serving in the GS with 4 from my class in the college... out of 55.
    John Hayes was one who didnt go on to apply to the GS..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Well considering the OP didn't specify whether he's regular or reservist, there's scope to assume he could study abroad.

He didnt specify the BA either. One would assume as this is an Irish board his question would pertain to the Irish Army.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of interest any other board members starting the MA in Military History and strategic studies in NUI Maynooth this September?

Should be a reasonably useful course for potential soldiers.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apc View Post
    He didnt specify the BA either. One would assume as this is an Irish board his question would pertain to the Irish Army.
    The course wasn't specific to the BA, just uniformed services in general, civil or military.

Either way, don't do it, waste of time. Personally I'd go for something like a computer science degree myself, if I were to do it all over again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coisithe View Post
    I am a Corpral the Infantry .... also i would have to be able to do the course in ireland or online or by way of distance learning.
    Ie he is in the DF (doesn't matter if he is PDF or RDF).

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm a cpl in the Irish army, PDF

Battalion Sargeant Major Snacker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    a) I'd reccommend doing your Leaving Cert/whatever language if you haven't got one already and trying for a cadetship.

b) If you have that done definately something along the lines of resource management / HR. Stay away from technical stuff like Engineering, Medicine, Computers if you want a Commission that will get you command positions.
    And defo do something online. you can do it in work while on guard; BST; oseas; or just a normals days hiding avoiding the CS.
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too old for the cadets , I think i've chosen a course in hr, just have to nail down all the details, thanks for all your help everyone.

Thread Information