US Army............WTF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imagine there are computer versions as well

but it all goes back the the story about NASA spending millions researching a pen that could write

in space whereas those damn Ruskies gave their lads a pencil.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Every mortarman should be able to fire his gun accurately using old tabular methods, as well as being able to use computers.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        I imagine there are computer versions as well

but it all goes back the the story about NASA spending millions researching a pen that could write

in space whereas those damn Ruskies gave their lads a pencil.
        The problem with pencils was that the nib could snap off and float into something.
        I take your point though that you always need a backup for when the batteries run out.

from wiki:

Uses in the U.S. and Russian space programs

Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions. [1] NASA programs previously used pencils (for example a 1965 order of mechanical pencils[2]) but because of the danger that a broken-off pencil tip poses in zero gravity and the flammable nature of the wood present in pencils[2] a better solution was needed. NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development. Fisher invented it independently, and then asked NASA to try it. After the introduction of the AG7 Space Pen, both the American and Soviet (later Russian) space agencies adopted it.
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Mate you have way to much time on your hands;

and I thought we agreed at committee level that the only ones who use Wiki as a source of

reference on here are ladyboys or lads with faces like Harry Rednap after a session in Galway

with ****n C***n

Comment

Originally posted by Pod View Post
            I should have expalined: Picture posted with question ; question answered by post ten; why now on post 26?
            I dunno, but your post made me think of this....

Comment

Mate you have way to much time on your hands;
              and I thought we agreed at committee level that the only ones who use Wiki as a source of reference on here are ladyboys or lads with faces like Harry Rednap after a session in Galway with ****n C***n
              Ahh, I obviously missed the memo while on the session,
              (I'm the one on the left in the second pic)

Last edited by Archimedes; 23 March 2011, 18:10.

Comment

Great pics of you

did you say left as we are lloking at it

Comment

Great pics of you

did you say left as we are lloking at it
                  Perhaps I should have included a smiley at the end of my previous post

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                    Every mortarman should be able to fire his gun accurately using old tabular methods, as well as being able to use computers.
                    regards
                    GttC
                    True, you'd never know when the battery would die on that laptop or the GPS would be turned off
                    when the next baloon goes up, etc etc

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                    The problem with pencils was that the nib could snap off and float into something....
                    Yep, and ink runs in the rain....

Mate you have way to much time on your hands
                    Hello Kettle, this is Pot, Message - Over .....
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      Yep, and ink runs in the rain....
                      I'm thinking that you assumed that we were still on topic and talking about what we would use to write with on a mortar position.

We were actually so far OT that earthly weather phenomenon were of no concern.

Back on earth, never leave home without your chinagraph (aka grease pencil)

Comment

Originally posted by Lordinajamjar View Post
                        I am not an experienced military man like yourself Paul but as a civilian observer it appears to me from the smoke in the picture that there has been some kind of discharge from that tripod thingy....
                        there certainly is 'some kind of discharge' when you fire a mortar LordJJ:

British Soldiers firing the 81mm Mortar in Afghanistan.

as they say - "...there's no smoke without fire..."
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

hi all,
                          I remember wondering why we all had black faces after firing the old Brandt 81mm in the FCA.Scarcely ducking after sending the bomb down the tube! Good fun, though.
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            there certainly is 'some kind of discharge' when you fire a mortar LordJJ:
                            Yeah, there's also a metal thingy:

"On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                              Yeah, there's also a metal thingy:

I see it! Thanks Jungle. I just knew there had be something more.

RGJ those photos are brilliant by the way. Were you involved in that action yourself?
                              Last edited by Lordinajamjar; 16 September 2010, 04:49.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lordinajamjar View Post
                                RGJ those photos are brilliant by the way. Were you involved in that action yourself?
                                no LordJJ unfortunately i only saw action in Iraq so these are not my pics, although i have fired a few bombs from the 81 in my time, but never in anger.

it is, as anyone who has fired a mortar will tell you - quite a shocking and exciting experience with a shockwave that penetrates your inner core.

what the US soldiers are doing in supporting the bi-pod legs is not something i have seen our lads do as our mortars are normally very well bedded in with the prior firing of smoke and illume before going to HE, but i guess it's necessary sometimes and particularly in the instance of that original pic as they may have had to fire on a different target.
                                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X