Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    On a more serious note I've used both short and long back PLCE and both are brutal ( yes in the end they will both kick your ass) because the hip belt is absolutely useless.
    i've never ever ever ever known any of our lads to use the hip belt except on a fitness Tab but certainly never on operations or exercise. we usually leave it on there so we don't get billed when we hand it back in but nobody ever uses it.

no point having quick release shoulder straps if its coupled around your waist too.

i most often only use the hip belt during flotation exercises and river crossings, or with the bergen upside down while abseiling with it.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 18th January 2011 at 03:25.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    i've never ever ever ever known any of our lads to use the hip belt except on a fitness Tab but certainly never on operations or exercise. we usually leave it on there so we don't get billed when we hand it back in but nobody ever uses it.
    I don't remember the waist belt being detachable on the old OG PLCE backpack, if you didn't close it you had a, wing like, hip pad sticking out each side. Quick release shoulder straps are also a new one on me. Maybe as CSS we were left with an older version, but don't recall ever seeing different ones being used by the Inf Battlions
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    our hip belts are also not detachable REX - i meant we don't cut them off and instead fasten them the opposite way around the front of the bergen. lads who own their own bergens often cut them off.

our PLCE bergens have always (even the old green one from the 90's) had Quick Release buckles on both shoulders. most of us super-glue one of them inplace (personal preference which one) for the best of both worlds incase both QR buckles should ever accidentally release.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my own BA type (the DF ones were slightly different in that they had a few Modifications) OG PLCE bergen back in my FCA days.The shoulder straps had ladderlock buckles on them.Is that what you are on about?Or did the 95 Ptn DPM bergen have different ones?
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Lower than a snakes balls Duffman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Welcome back Duffman,

For some reasons when I read your posts the voice in my head changes to the duffman character
    Hedgie I'm just waiting for a topic on hydration to come up to spring into action with the classic "That brown patch needs some H2OOOH YEAH"

On that point, when one of our posters actually turns out to be female you immediately have to re-assess the tone of their emails (right after trying to find out if they are hot).

Decided to go with the sabre. Seems the best of the lot. Thanks for reccomendations
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I'm looking for a good backpack, ruck sack , bergin or whatever the hell you want to call it!

Need something with a good bit of lower back support and decent padding. I had the webtex ultimax for years and thats great but clips have finaly gone on it so time for a change!

I wanted to get a Lowe Alpine Saracen 120L in OD but nowhere seems to do them anymore.

Any other decent bags along the lines of the lowe alpine saracen?
    I was in lowe alpine in tullamore about 2 weeks ago and all military packs were half price, including the saracen.

Re the issue pack being too complicated -its just that most troops have never had them fitted properly by someone who was trained properly by lowe on how to fit them, which is the root of most problems I've encountered. Having said all that the back system is about 5 or 6 years behind lowes civvy designs, but that's the nature of military kit.

Never tried the military cyclops but the civvie one is rock solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the lowe apine store? Iv only seen them on rvops but they were big enough money? Would love the saracen in og, i got the sabre daysack on sale in sligo for about 40 if i remember rightly! What sort of money is the saracen?
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Re the issue pack being too complicated -its just that most troops have never had them fitted properly by someone who was trained properly by lowe on how to fit them, which is the root of most problems I've encountered.
    I have a Saracen in OG, and to get the correct measurement for back length I went into great outdoors and got one of the staff there to measure using the fancy measuring stick thing.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
    Where is the lowe apine store? Iv only seen them on rvops but they were big enough money? Would love the saracen in og, i got the sabre daysack on sale in sligo for about 40 if i remember rightly! What sort of money is the saracen?
    Out the Portarlington Road, its in the retail park thingy opposite the Aura leisure centre, beside tullamore tyres.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
    About €120-150 if I remember correctly. They are also open on sundays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good would they do mail order does anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Re the issue pack being too complicated -its just that most troops have never had them fitted properly by someone who was trained properly by lowe on how to fit them, which is the root of most problems I've encountered. Having said all that the back system is about 5 or 6 years behind lowes civvy designs, but that's the nature of military kit.
    Eh,beg to differ there mate.All clothing stores personel country wide were trained up on how to size the issue Bergens by Lowe alpine and the Ordnance corps at a seminar in 2007.All stores have a Lowe Alpine "measuring stick".All Bergens come with a guide to adjusting them.
    Now having said all that having used mine on courses and exercises since '07 i can still say they are too complicated.Too many straps that arent needed and the removable side pouches are a waste of time as we are issued a daysack.We would have been better off going for the LA SAMSON.Same model as used by the Wing.Four fixed side pouches but the same capacity as the saracen.Easier to pack your kit to hand.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered the saracen from lowe alpine this morning missed the last og by about 10 mins so had to settle for a brit dpm one!! Think a fellow imoer beat me to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually(and heres a bit of usefull info if anyone starts whinging about it being BA DPM) its Dutch DPM not British.Similar but different.The dutch issue the saracen to their lads too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Actually(and heres a bit of usefull info if anyone starts whinging about it being BA DPM) its Dutch DPM not British.Similar but different.The dutch issue the saracen to their lads too.
    Thats some look your man is sporting, DPM, Red Beret, Camo Face and Sunglasses......
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocalves View Post
    Thats some look your man is sporting, DPM, Red Beret, Camo Face and Sunglasses......
    That would be maroon beret..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Craghopper View Post
    That would be maroon beret..
    Shit, I better go into hiding for such a mistake!
    But there's no danger

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shit, I better go into hiding for such a mistake!
    Don't hate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be alright he's Dutch, If he was a UK para, I may need to worry!
    But there's no danger

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be alright he's Dutch, If he was a UK para, I may need to worry!
    Probably just as nails as the "Maroon Machine"
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's something just wrong about wearing sunglasses and a beret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I went into great outdoors and got one of the staff there to measure using the fancy measuring stick thing.
    The technical term is 'ruler'...
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the weekend I got my two man tent daysack, sleeping bag etc and all of the other bits and pieces nicely into my PLCE rucksack. It really is a science, packing light ( reminded every time )

Putting the daysack under the flap doesn't really work, though, you have to put it inside the main pack.

Or am I doing something wrong.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    There's something just wrong about wearing sunglasses and a beret.
    I was more curious about the facepaint and sunglasses......
    But then I am awkward!
    But there's no danger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    He's well prepped for the game of soccer as well
    Beyond the Leap, beyond the law!

Thread Information