No announcement yet.

Air Corps sending planes to Malta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair play to the Air Corps(again) for stepping up even when they don't have the suitable equipment to do the job.

However with the Casa, it's like sending an RV instead of a Bus. They both have an almost identical external profile, but the RV having everything including the kitchen sink inside will only allow you to take a token number.

When the use of the word token still applies and you have two aircraft at your disposal and only 40 people to extract, then it really is time to reexamine the airlift situation.

I'd imagine Dept of Foreign Affairs officials are working overtime trying to secure seats on other country's aircraft.

Comment

Electioneering anyone?
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
        Fair play to the Air Corps(again) for stepping up even when they don't have the suitable equipment to do the job.

However with the Casa, it's like sending an RV instead of a Bus. They both have an almost identical external profile, but the RV having everything including the kitchen sink inside will only allow you to take a token number.

When the use of the word token still applies and you have two aircraft at your disposal and only 40 people to extract, then it really is time to reexamine the airlift situation.

I'd imagine Dept of Foreign Affairs officials are working overtime trying to secure seats on other country's aircraft.
        Utility is the name of the game, the 2 aircraft are capable of doing the job!

Comment

To think how CASA 250 would have earned her keep over the years!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
            To think how CASA 250 would have earned her keep over the years!
            I have read here that 250 was offered at a "knock down price" and it's loss is one of the real scandals of the last 20 years.

Such myopia is hard to take, but then I guess the DF are used to it by now.

Bring back the DH Doves

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Libya Likes us. Mo and Gerry are old pals.

Nice clip of the aircraft preparing to leave on Facebook.
              Well done to AC. Well done to their management for seeing an opportunity to use the governnment status symbol for useful purpose.
              Has anyone asked statesman in waiting Gerry about the situation in Libya actually?

That would provide some good comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                Electioneering anyone?
                No, I'd be happy in saying this is a reflection of what has been happening under the command of Brig Gen Fry. The Air Corps have been far more active in proper military style work, and less ministerial taxi service.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  No, I'd be happy in saying this is a reflection of what has been happening under the command of Brig Gen Fry. The Air Corps have been far more active in proper military style work, and less ministerial taxi service.
                  I hope your right,
                  It would be nice to see a shift in AC ops from MATS to actual important tasks,
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

That's a very welcome development.

Comment

Hi there,
                      The Casa, if it's carrying spare persons already, can only carry about six punters in airline seating. Every other square inch is occupied by the mission equipment, so if there are punters with possessions, they might have to stack them like logs or lash them to the ramp, to carry them. Unless they managed to remove the allegedly-fast-change (manufacturer's word-2hrs) mission module and install canvas parachute seating.Me,if i was a punter, I'd rather go in the Learjet.
                      Why didn't they just charter an aircraft? Air Contractors have a C130...
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

I dont know where the Times got that figure of 21 pax. Even the 9 they quote for the Learjet is wrong. It's configured for 5(club) and it's damn tight at that.

Comment

Now, now, GTTC and Jetjock, take a look at the YouTube video on the DF page. It shows the interior of the casa crammed full of seats. I recon that put in as many as they could and 21 sounds reasonable to me.

Fair play to all the people involved.

Comment

Looks like things have improved post MLU:

A nice capability to have. It also looks like the Learjet configuration has changed.

Comment

I count at least 18 seats in the CASA.

According to military.ie, the Learjet can carry up to 7.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                                Hi there,
                                The Casa, if it's carrying spare persons already, can only carry about six punters in airline seating. Every other square inch is occupied by the mission equipment, so if there are punters with possessions, they might have to stack them like logs or lash them to the ramp, to carry them. Unless they managed to remove the allegedly-fast-change (manufacturer's word-2hrs) mission module and install canvas parachute seating.Me,if i was a punter, I'd rather go in the Learjet.
                                Why didn't they just charter an aircraft? Air Contractors have a C130...
                                regards
                                GttC
                                Is that C 130 on stand by for polloution control
                                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                                X