Laser eye treatment under review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser eye treatment under review

Hi everyone. I understand the rules banning laser eye treatment are under review? Anyone know how long this might take? I'm hoping to contest for a cadet-ship in the next couple years before I'm too old (24 now), but no idea if the results of the review will be out in time for me, as currently my vision (-3.25) is below the cut off point Surely, seeing as it is allowed in most armies, including the British, and is actually encouraged in the US, there's only one way it can go? My main worry is that it'll be tangled up in bureaucracy for years to come, until it'll be to late for me! Any one got a clue on how long it may take? Thanks!

Welcome to IMO macs,

From this news report you will see the DF said they were reviewing it in 2006, I'd say it is safe to assume that review was completed a number of years ago (http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ighlight=laser).

There has been no change and given the amount of applications they are receiving there will probably be no need to change the conditions.

You will find a number of threads on this very topic on the board

Comment

The stance seems to have changed .... the cadets, the MOs and DE A/Cooks

You are unfit to join if :

(a) you have had your vision corrected with non-laser surgery or laser surgery involving lifting of a corneal flap

(b) you have had laser eye surgery (not involving lifting a corneal flap) within 12 months of the advertised closing date of the competition

(c) where there is a significant visual impairment/side effects (or both) beyond 12 months of laser eye surgery (not involving lifting a corneal flap)

(d) where following laser eye surgery (not involving lifting a corneal flap) the residual corneal stromal thickness of less than 300 microns

Ref
      https://www.military.ie/en/careers/c...conditions.pdf (page 41)

Comment

There is a new D Med and I believe that she is going to bring us into the 21st century after years of stagnant thinking at the top of the Medical Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by macs View Post
          Hi everyone. I understand the rules banning laser eye treatment are under review? Anyone know how long this might take? I'm hoping to contest for a cadet-ship in the next couple years before I'm too old (24 now), but no idea if the results of the review will be out in time for me, as currently my vision (-3.25) is below the cut off point Surely, seeing as it is allowed in most armies, including the British, and is actually encouraged in the US, there's only one way it can go? My main worry is that it'll be tangled up in bureaucracy for years to come, until it'll be to late for me! Any one got a clue on how long it may take? Thanks!
          It's unlikely an entry medical would pick up that you've received laser surgery in any case...

Comment

Your are to be honest completing the medical paperwork. You can be discharged for falsifying the forms. Is that something we should be encouraging. Sure let's not fill in any of the forms truthfully.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
              Your are to be honest completing the medical paperwork. You can be discharged for falsifying the forms. Is that something we should be encouraging. Sure let's not fill in any of the forms truthfully.
              It is also an offence

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                I'm not encouraging that at all. I'm just stating that is would be highly unlikely that it would be caught in a medical. The current battery of testing is primarily around visual acuity and colour blindness.

I'd never suggest not filling in forms correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                  I'm not encouraging that at all. I'm just stating that is would be highly unlikely that it would be caught in a medical. The current battery of testing is primarily around visual acuity and colour blindness.

I'd never suggest not filling in forms correctly.
                  Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X