Thanks Thanks:  94
Likes Likes:  146
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    A couple of APCs arrived back in Haulbowline from Lebanon in the 80s on the deck of one of the PVs , the Customs Officers wanted to have a look inside them but the doors had been spot welded by the Army prior to departure from Lebanon to help make them more " watertight " , Customs accompanied the APCs to Collins Bks in Cork and when the doors were opened the contents of Honest Abduls gift shop were to be found inside .
    It has long been alleged that some of Lebanon's naughtier produce was inside those cars and it was also alleged that an NCO "shopped" some of his Officers to the Customs, because of undeclared items inside the M3s. Allegedly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    ...and unless you properly waterproof and protect a vehicle lashed to a deck, at the mercy of salt water, all you get is a piece of unfit junk at the far end...shipping AFVs is a bit of an art form in itself.
    Its fairly straightforward to waterproof vehicles for the trip back from Beirut.

Carried a few vehicles on a ship in the 2000s, vehicles were wrapped and we gave them a freshwater scrub & hose down midway, and just before offloading.

Beirut to Cork is about 10 days at 12 knts.

The P60s could potentially carry 3 Mowags.

P31 could carry the 9 id say including one in the hanger.

If P31 had many years left ,it would be worth fitting a telescopic extension to the hanger for this type of tasking.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back around 2005 P31 was destined to carry out an overseas resupply. Her deck had been modified to accept twistlocks, and the helideck permanently marked by engineers to show where to park mowags in line with the ships stability profile.
    Sadly the mission was scrubbed and we will never know how that would have worked out.
    From memory she can stack TEU 2 high, 3 abreast with six places on deck. There was some "if only" discussion at the time about if the hangar profile had extended across the full beam, there could have been modification to the hangar door to potentially accommodate 2 mowag side by side. You would have a 12m wide hangar with 2m lost through exhaust trunking, instead of a 6m wide hangar with 2m lost to internal trunking.
    Maybe next time.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

4. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our few naval vessels are patrol vessels, of which we hardly have enough. There are cheaper and easier ways to move equipment to the Lebanon and the easiest is container shipment. As it is something everyone can look up, Singapore send lots of equipment to different training areas all over the world and they even have 4 LSD (LST) vessels. A few year back because they where shipping some Terrex vehicles back from training in Taiwan via Hong Kong they got into some customs heat. But if you look at how they were shipping it was simple; they have a 40ft low load pallet onto which they place a wrapped Terrex. This means it can be put on any container ship and that it can be offloaded onto a standard container trailer if further transport is needed. No need to mess about with modifying a ship with limited transport capacity.

If we ever wanted to transport all 80 MOWAGs then we need look no further that our big neighbor who has 4 Point class ships just for this type of job!
    Last edited by EUFighter; 4th May 2020 at 09:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Its fairly straightforward to waterproof vehicles for the trip back from Beirut.

Carried a few vehicles on a ship in the 2000s, vehicles were wrapped and we gave them a freshwater scrub & hose down midway, and just before offloading.

Beirut to Cork is about 10 days at 12 knts.

The P60s could potentially carry 3 Mowags.

P31 could carry the 9 id say including one in the hanger.

If P31 had many years left ,it would be worth fitting a telescopic extension to the hanger for this type of tasking.
    But is that the best use of your asset and the most cost effective way of transporting them. Sure where supply routes are limited you can do it that way but where dedicated more cost effective options are there why bother?

7. Likes DeV liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know what we pay to have equipment shipped to or from Lebanon. Lets just say it is less than the fuel bill for one of the Naval ships to do the same journey. Unless they are carrying several items, it is better to leave it to the contractors and let the understaffed Naval Service to what they do best

9. Likes Bravo20, EUFighter, Rhodes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    let the Naval Service to what they do best
    Rum,Sodomy and the Lash??

(Sorry,Couldn't resist, Squids)
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

11. Likes Flamingo, EUFighter, Shaqra, Rhodes liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    I know what we pay to have equipment shipped to or from Lebanon. Lets just say it is less than the fuel bill for one of the Naval ships to do the same journey. Unless they are carrying several items, it is better to leave it to the contractors and let the understaffed Naval Service to what they do best
    It's not the done thing anymore to use our ships for such , and when it was , it was part funded by the UN .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like

If we ever wanted to transport all 80 MOWAGs then we need look no further that our big neighbor who has 4 Point class ships just for this type of job!
    I can't imagine a scenario where Ireland would want to transport 80 APC's in an operational capacity short of it becoming involved in a full-scale European war and sending an expeditionary force - in this highly unlikely scenario, Irish Ferries or Stenna Line could be pressed into service without much trouble.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

14. Likes Orion, na grohmiti, RoyalGreenJacket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post

The advantage to shipping then on a military vessel is the customs clearance in Beirut goes from 4 - 5 weeks to 24hrs.

The paperwork required for military shipping is significantly less than civilian in respect to weapons etc.

Also most equipment shipped ends up in Rotterdam for days to weeks until a ship takes it in the next leg.

Average shipping time is 30 days whilst a Naval vessel is approx 10 days at 12 knts.

16. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again this is suitable only if time is a factor. Most resupplies are planned well in advance so the shipping time is well factored in. Using one of our ships for a routine supply run to a location that is well serviced by commercial shipping companies is just not the best use of our assets

18. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we did run routine supply trips to Haifa or Beirut it was called a ' foreign trip or cruise ' more of a operational jolly than a supply mission that happened to take place in the Summer . The homebound leg took twice as long the outbound , Malta , Palermo , Almeria , Lisbon etc . The turnaround time at the port of delivery of the supplies was done in a few hours . Some of the summer cruises even had commemorative T shirts produced for the trip .
    Last edited by Laners; 5th May 2020 at 09:11.

20. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gents much as this is interesting can we remain on topic

Folks any sitreps coming back on the refurbed MOWAGS ? they've been going a little bit now.

( could we not do something similar for the LTAVs )
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Gents much as this is interesting can we remain on topic

Folks any sitreps coming back on the refurbed MOWAGS ? they've been going a little bit now.

( could we not do something similar for the LTAVs )
    Apart from the RWS, it seems everyone is delighted with the much better situational awareness when locked down. Driver no longer relying on man in turret telling him whether he is going to drive over/avoid the obstacle in his/her huge blind spot.
    As for the LTAVs, we could replace them with the Mowag Eagle or Vamtac...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Apart from the RWS, it seems everyone is delighted with the much better situational awareness when locked down. Driver no longer relying on man in turret telling him whether he is going to drive over/avoid the obstacle in his/her huge blind spot.
    As for the LTAVs, we could replace them with the Mowag Eagle or Vamtac...
    Is it that there is now a RWS rather than a turret? The age old discussion.
    Surely the RWS also adds to the capability both due to its sensor suite and the ability to mix and match the weapons carried due to it being the dual model of the Protector.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if these are Coming back from UNIFIL, or heading out to be Upgraded.

25. Thanks apc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They must be coming back (turrets! Although not sure why the 2 at the front are there? CRVs for upgrade?)

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are departing they're heading for Vlissingen in Holland, and from there ?
    Last edited by Laners; 29th September 2020 at 19:13.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    If they are departing they're heading for Vlissingen in Holland, and from there ?
    That ship does a weekly run from the med/Italy. More likely they are coming back from UNIFIL.

29. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    They returned from Lebanon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post

31. Thanks na grohmiti, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because the cav variants are getting the hull , cameras and interior upgraded too
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

33. Likes DeV liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like

35. Thanks na grohmiti, sofa thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider pig View Post
    Because the cav variants are getting the hull , cameras and interior upgraded too
    Maybe that's just what they what you to think....
    These gobshites know better...

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah reading some of the comments are just beyond tinfoil...

Post Thanks / Like
    What does MEGA stand for? Make Eire Great Again?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Thread Information