Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    of course they are delighted they are coming back, as i stated many times before which seems to have been ignored - the Irish DF did great things there.

but they did leave.
    How long more do we have to listen to this man,

I was talking to an ex Viking who is now in the BA

and he said the chances of a Sgt in an Infantry Unit not serving in Afghanistan

is miminal- Unless there is a reason that his superiors wouldnt let him go-

remind us again what trip to Afghanistan were you on?
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      How long more do we have to listen to this man,

I was talking to an ex Viking who is now in the BA

and he said the chances of a Sgt in an Infantry Unit not serving in Afghanistan

is miminal- Unless there is a reason that his superiors wouldnt let him go-

remind us again what trip to Afghanistan were you on?
      are you for real Hedgie?

we don't have a free for all like the Irish DF when it comes to overseas service.

we have dedicated units that go, my Battalion has been once, and will go again in October.

i think there are some battalions that still have never been.

if you are on an assignment out of your battalion when they go - then you don't go - simples.

i can guarantee you there are SNCO's in every battalion who have never been to Afghan despite their unit going there.

i suggest you ask your friend in the British Army about soldiers in E1 and E2 posts and what happens to them when their battalion deploys.

i've been away from my battalion for the past couple of years but lucky to be heading out there later in the year / early next year with them.

don't worry - i'll take plenty of pics to rub your nose in it when i do go.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• He said not very many Sgts in Infantry Units arent allowed go to Afghanistan

Maybe you are in a very very special occupation

or maybe people just dont want you to go- I havent a clue which it is

but when you read of lads doing 3 and 4 trips

and then a lad who has done none- that is not 1 trip- it kind of makes you wonder,

anyway how come you never served out there mate- your Unit seems to meet itself

at the airport and yet you havent served there since it kicked off-

You lads in the Brits are such jokers- I imagine you boys get up to all types of jolly japes

like leaving 4 feathers on your kit and other pranks-

I suppose not going to Afghanistan suits you- so you cant really complain.

as an aside have a look at our Ombudsman's report where lads have practically sued the

Army to serve overseas.

Each to their own mate.
        Last edited by hedgehog; 22 June 2011, 21:24.

Comment

• Whats a Senior NCO in the British Army?

here it used to be CQ upwards

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            He said not very many Sgts in Infantry Units arent allowed go to Afghanistan

Maybe you are in a very very special occupation

or maybe people just dont want you to go- I havent a clue which it is

but when you read of lads doing 3 and 4 trips

and then a lad who done none,

I suppose it suits you- so you cant really complain.
            tell you what Hedgie - take a trip to Trooping the Colour next year and see for yourself how many SNCO's haven't been to Afghan (they are the ones who don't have that medal).

or get your mate to look around him the next time he is at a Regimental Dinner and see how many SNCO's don't have their Afghan medal - there are plenty.

and what Sergeants are you referring to who "can't" go?

i don't know of any other than those who have physical / mental conditions which prevent them from going there or anywhere overseas, and that's a fair one.

having spent most of my career overseas with service in Iraq etc, i'm looking forward to getting to Afghan before i get out, i always have been.

anyhow what's any of this got to do with UNIFIL other than you whingeing again?

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            Whats a Senior NCO in the British Army?
            Sergeant and above.
            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 June 2011, 21:34.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Thanks but no thanks

I have a rule not to hang around people who cant be trusted- maybe thats why

you were one of the very few Infantry Sgts not allowed travel to Afghanistan.

Now before you get carried away- I should point out that this is a thread celebrating our lads going out

to the Lebanon- so dont bring it off thread mate,

Comment

• I concur. Please keep this to thread, let's all remind ourselves of what that is

Its the Irish DF Deploying to UNIFIL once more. Please keep it to commentary on this deployment and perils past to look out for. Not who did or didn't go to the 'Stan.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Thanks but no thanks

I have a rule not to hang around people who cant be trusted- maybe thats why

you were one of the very few Infantry Sgts not allowed travel to Afghanistan.

Now before you get carried away- I should point out that this is a thread celebrating our lads going out

to the Lebanon- so dont bring it off thread mate,

Comment

• Oh Lord. Please settle down the pair of you. Any more badger baiting on either side and I'll take off my shoe/your father will hear of this when he comes home.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• As I sit, three quarters (well, 4/5ths) pissed in a hotel near the Corniche, I am quite enjoying this. Although I have clearly missed something. Is RGJ a Walter?
                      And, back to my original point, the DF are one of thefew parts of Official Ireland not to have let down the people.
                      www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• May I rant even more: why is it that only one Irish media organisation is out here, even though 90 DF personnel are here and 200 are arriving tomorrow? That is an outrage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dublinmick View Post
                          And, back to my original point, the DF are one of thefew parts of Official Ireland not to have let down the people.
                          Interesting point, Mick. Do you think that's down to the Armed Forces ethos, or something else?

Originally posted by Dublinmick View Post
                          May I rant even more: why is it that only one Irish media organisation is out here, even though 90 DF personnel are here and 200 are arriving tomorrow? That is an outrage.
                          Connected with your previous point. The Armed Forces are not perceived as "interesting", as they get on with the job without any drama, or self-interest?
                          Last edited by Flamingo; 22 June 2011, 23:14.
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

As I sit, three quarters (well, 4/5ths) pissed in a hotel near the Corniche, I am quite enjoying this. Although I have clearly missed something. Is RGJ a Walter?
                            nope - infact the opposite - i have not been to Afghanistan yet, not ever, and have always made that clear from the outset. some people just find that very hard to believe.

anyhow, back on topic - they building a new base like they did in Chad or occupying something else out there? i'd say real estate is quite tight.

they providing their own life support and logistics or is there another nation who handles all that in UNIFIL?
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• I think it comes down to the DF being, largely, peopled by fundamentally decent lads.

Comment

As I sit, three quarters (well, 4/5ths) pissed in a hotel near the Corniche, I am quite enjoying this. Although I have clearly missed something. Is RGJ a Walter?
                                Drinking?? don't be leading the lads astray, its a dry mission!!

Comment

Working...
                                X