No announcement yet.

Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety toes are not even an issue anymore in the balck boots versus desert boots debate.the desert boots have a composite toe now aswell.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
      Am I the only one who can see the simple solution of give the desert boots to the lads who will actually be out on patrol and leaving the camp every day and letting the blokes who stay in the camp keep their black boots? I mean in Chad I noticed the engineers/mechanics/camp staff for want of a better word kept on their black boots for the steel toe protection.

Uniformity is important enough I suppose but I think common sense should take priority
      \

COMMON SENSE??? OSSIFERS , WILL YE GET AWAY OUT OF THAT
      MOD:Edited to leave in valid observation and remove stupid comment.
      Last edited by apod; 29 July 2013, 19:30.

Comment

• I think it was something like 82 pairs of boots that they were short off. The boots are Magnum Scorpions, an off the shelf product and are not specially made for the DF contract. All they had to do was put in an urgent order of the required sizes needed and get them delivered straight to Lebanon. The same boot is even sold in the Italian PX in one of their camps in Lebanon. Most of the lads would of bought their own spare pair of desert boots but because of this stupid decision they are probably not allowed to wear them.
        When the Finnish arrived in Lebanon last year they all wore their normal issue black boots, however they soon realised their mistake and tan boots were shipped out to them.

Comment

• A few nice videos from 59 Battalion in 1986.

Comment

• Video of German Corvette Magdeburg serving with UNIFIL.

Last edited by Rhodes; 17 August 2013, 16:09. Reason: fix

Comment

• Among genuinely great people in South Lebanon

Bishop Trevor Williams writes on his visit, earlier this month, to the 108 Irish/Finnish Battalion in Southern Lebanon

Earlier this month I had the privilege of laying a wreath at the Tibnin Monument in South Lebanon, dedicated to the memory of 47 Irish personnel who died while on peacekeeping duty in Lebanon.

The dignified ceremony with colour party, prayers, a piper playing a lament followed by the last post took place to remember five of the 47 Irish soldiers whose anniversaries are in August. A similar ceremony takes place each month. I was reminded of the cost of keeping peace and how easily the work of the Irish Forces with the United Nations can be taken for granted and go unacknowledged. Standing at that memorial in Tibnin, I felt a sense of pride in the Irish Defence Forces, who have given 55 years of service on peacekeeping operations in some of the most hostile countries of the world.

Monsignor Eoin Thynne, head chaplain of the Irish Defence Forces invited me to join him on a Pastoral Visit to the 108 Irish/Finnish Battalion made up of 332 Irish and 176 Finnish personnel at their base in the At Tiri area of South Lebanon. We had met at several St Patrick’s Day celebrations at Sarsfield Barracks, Limerick where we both enjoyed the generous hospitality of the chaplain, Fr Seamus Madigan. Seamus is now in the Lebanon serving with the 108 Irish Finn Batt as their chaplain.

It was fascinating to discover what peacekeeping involves. The war between Lebanon and Israel has had no agreed conclusion. However there is an agreed “Blue Line” which is there to keep both sides apart. During our stay however, there was an incident where a small group of Israeli soldiers crossed the Blue Line and accidentally were injured by a land mine. Incidents like this can increase the tension.

The UN forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL) are not primary actors. They are present to support and assist the Lebanese Armed Forces in the role of peacekeeping. I visited a Irish platoon manning an observation post, yards from the Blue Line. Their task is to report any suspicious activity.

I chatted to a soldier in a pill box observation tower and asked how he would recognise suspicious activity. He said it’s only after weeks of observing normal activity that something ‘unusual’ can be spotted. It’s an extremely difficult job that takes disciplined patience. I was impressed by each soldier I met; their ability, skill and commitment – they were genuinely great people.

There are foot patrols with the Lebanese Army and weekly visits to the markets in Tibnin, Bint, Jabayl and Aytaroun when soldiers can have a chance to mingle with local people and perhaps buy some things from the stalls. This low-profile approach is essential in establishing good relationships in the area, crucial to the work of peace keeping.

It’s clearly understood that driving around in heavy armoured vehicles can be intimidating and alienating while it is necessary at times. Over the years, because of this approach, the Irish Army have won a very good reputation with the locals. As we travelled around people waved and smiled at us.

What has also helped is the humanitarian assistance the Irish Forces have given to local villages, such as water storage, street lighting and support for their schools. As we have learnt in Northern Ireland, much of peacekeeping is about winning hearts and minds.

The Commanding Officer is Lieutenant Colonel Anthony McKenna. He insisted that other welfare agencies could not replace the chaplaincy. This was clear at the Tibnin Monument, and at the Mass I attended at the At Tiri base where soldiers packed into the chapel and each one lit a candle as a prayer.

But Seamus’s great strength is his great sense in the easy way he relates to people, no matter what their rank - and his great sense of humour! As we walked around he greeted every soldier by name, he is always available for chat, or a more serious conversation.

As a Forces chaplain, Seamus assumes the rank of the person he is talking to. This unique position in what is a highly structured organisation enables the chaplain to provide real pastoral support.

The Irish Forces may not solve the problems in Lebanon. What they are doing is creating a safe space in which local political and religious leaders can move beyond past and present hostilities and create a peaceful future. We should keep them in our prayers.

Comment

• Italian warship could evacuate Lebanon troops

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                  Italian warship could evacuate Lebanon troops

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...lebanon-troops
                  has Ireland got anything in the area suitable to evacuate Irish troops?

More trolling, I think you are too tired if you think that you can slip that bit of stupidity past us, I think you should take a few weeks rest.
                  Last edited by Turkey; 6 September 2013, 20:18.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    Feigning lack of knowledge of Irish sealift capability in order to deliver yet another cheap shot in your ever continuing recruitment drive on behalf of HM's über super duper military is not lost on most posters here, you know?

Comment

I'd love to know how a destroyer is going to transport 1100 troops with APCs and Centarios!

It had extra accommodation for 255

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        I'd love to know how a destroyer is going to transport 1100 troops with APCs and Centarios!

It had extra accommodation for 255
                        In 2010, we inserted a portion of our 2000 troops (and their personal kit) in Haiti using one Destroyer and one Frigate. The Port-Au-Prince airport being extremely busy, the troops were flown to Jamaica, then boarded the ships and sailed to Léogâne. I was the beachmaster, having arrived a few days earlier on a direct flight to Port-Au-Prince. I took some pics, here is one of the Canadian Destroyer (in the background), and a US Navy landing craft bringing the Canadian troops and their kit to shore:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Why would they evacuate?

It's Lebanon

not
                          Hong Kong
                          Singapore
                          Dunkirk
                          Kabul

etc.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Why would they evacuate?

It's Lebanon

not
                            Hong Kong
                            Singapore
                            Dunkirk
                            Kabul

etc.
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                              In 2010, we inserted a portion of our 2000 troops (and their personal kit) in Haiti using one Destroyer and one Frigate. The Port-Au-Prince airport being extremely busy, the troops were flown to Jamaica, then boarded the ships and sailed to Léogâne. I was the beachmaster, having arrived a few days earlier on a direct flight to Port-Au-Prince. I took some pics, here is one of the Canadian Destroyer (in the background), and a US Navy landing craft bringing the Canadian troops and their kit to shore:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                              "Portion"

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                Why would they evacuate?

It's Lebanon

not
                                Hong Kong
                                Singapore
                                Dunkirk
                                Kabul

etc.